Newby Here, Interested in Cband

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Steve, in the meantime perhaps you might want to take some pictures of the dish (maybe the receiver too) and post them here before you decide to move it. So members can offer helpful advice for whatever you might need to do when you move it.

Steve, in the meantime perhaps you might want to take some pictures of the dish (maybe the receiver too) and post them here before you decide to move it. So members can offer helpful advice for whatever you might need to do when you move it.

Yeah bill, i plan on getting some pics of that thing. I'll take a look at it whenever this nasty weather lightens up a bit.

Do you have any comments on the 4dtv receiver at orbitcommunications?

thanks bill.

Oh, and lak7. I have read a little about the battery issue. I will definetely keep your recommendations in mind befor i pull the trigger....Thank you.

That ORbit place is in Sudbury Mass, they seem to have some extreme prices, and most of the stuff they advertise in the 4DTV dept is out of stock, discontinued, etc. $450 for a refurbished 922 sounds like a lot, but I guess it depends on how bad you want one ( I'd rather buy from a place like that than risk e-bay though).
The 4dtv units I saw all said 'refurbished', if anybody has any that are really new at this late time, they'd want 1 arm and 1 leg too. It is possible, to find a new one I guess, but not very likely these days. Best bet would be to call them on the phone and see if they really have any of that stuff-the dates I saw on the bottom of the pages were old, like 2003. But that might not mean they don't still have some c-band equipment. Ask around here before you spend a ton, somebody here will know something about it.

Well, i am set to go look at the 10ft dish saturday early. Maybe sunday. I am gonna get an idea of what tools i may need. I am also gonna take my camera and get some pics.

Will there be an I.D. tag on it?
Where would it be located?

This dish is about 20 miles from my house.:)

Couple of questions here.......

What type of cables do i need? I know that somewhere told me earlier about some ribbon cables, but what are they called? Coaxial, meaning RG6? or something better? I estimate i am gonna pull around 200ft of wire/cable.

Dish location at my house. How should i go about doing this (getting a clear shot)? From the chart that i have, 72 (w6) is the satellite at the far left. Then there is 179 (w8) at the end. How do i know what bearing that will be at MY house? I know i just might have asked a dumb question.....

Attachments

• sat_arc.gif
    sat_arc.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 175
How do i know what bearing that will be at MY house?
Sats are positioned according to Longitude (not a compass reading)
What is your Longitude?

What type of cables do i need?.....
RG6 is the min, and most used. For a Long Run RG11 may be desired $$$
A Ribbon Cable is a Bundled Cable usually made up of 1 or 2 RG6, and 2 sets of multi conductor wire for controlling the Servo Motor (polarity) and Actuator

Okay, i just got back from looking at that dish i was telling yall about.

Its an 8ft, aluminum mesh dish. On the cover it says Perfect 10. There is a small hole in the mesh. About the size of a dime.

Anyway, here are some pics. Will this work for 4dtv, c/ku?

thanks

Attachments

• Hole.jpg
    Hole.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 165
  • Feedhorn1.JPG
    Feedhorn1.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 152
  • DishMover2.jpg
    DishMover2.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 155
  • DishMover1.JPG
    DishMover1.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 161
  • Dish2.jpg
    Dish2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 156
  • Dish1.jpg
    Dish1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 159
Anyway, here are some pics. Will this work for 4dtv, c/ku?

thanks

Yes it will work with C band and Ku and a 4DTV. Needs a bit of cleanup and paint for cosmetic reasons. You can fix that tear with some fine wire. If the electronics are good you won't have to replace those.

Yes it will work with C band and Ku and a 4DTV. Needs a bit of cleanup and paint for cosmetic reasons. You can fix that tear with some fine wire. If the electronics are good you won't have to replace those.

Well thats good. So are you telling me that i need to bring this dish home?

Yeah, it looks rough, but its for free. It aint nothing that some time and paint cant cure:)

What kind of paint do i need to use for this? I think i would rather use a roller and brush then to use spray paint.

Also, this is something i need some pointers on.......

Dish Placement. I have five acres here at my house. I assume my dish will be pointed towards the southern sky. How can i find out how far east and how far west this dish will travel?

I looked at dishpointer, but dont know what i am really looking at.

thanks
steve

Well thats good. So are you telling me that i need to bring this dish home?

Yeah, it looks rough, but its for free. It aint nothing that some time and paint cant cure:)

What kind of paint do i need to use for this? I think i would rather use a roller and brush then to use spray paint.

Also, this is something i need some pointers on.......

Dish Placement. I have five acres here at my house. I assume my dish will be pointed towards the southern sky. How can i find out how far east and how far west this dish will travel?

I looked at dishpointer, but dont know what i am really looking at.

thanks
steve

Yes go for it. You probably want to replace rusted nuts and bolts.

The mesh I would clean with soap & water and a soft scrub brush, it don't look bad. Paint... I've use 99 cent a can spray paint on mine to touch stuff up.

If you use a roller on the mount use a good type of paint like RustOleum. Don't use a roller on the mesh.

To see the whole arc you will need to see from approx 139 deg west to 69 deg west.

Take it by a car wash (not the drive thru kind!) on the way home and spend a few bucks in quarters washing it down. The hot high pressure water + soap will come close to making it primeable. If you have stubborn stuff that wont turn loose that can be focused on when you get it home.
Regarding 4DTV (DCII) programming, did you look at the DSR410 packages and see if your "must have" channels were in one of them? As an alternative the DCII programming available on W5 (105°W) used for the 410 (and all 4DTV boxes) is as quality a sub signal as you can get, and no hassles about positioning (or polarity control?). The down side is that you cant get the other DCII mode content that is ITC, or master feed stuff that come open from time to time. If a pkg has what you want, and the IRD price is not out of line for you, it may be something to consider for an initial setup.
I say initial because you will likely get into the whole FTA scene and be doing DVB C and Ku stuff before it's all over. The 410 thing will let you get your sub up and running with a minimum learing curve, and allow you time to grow into the hobby. If you decide to invest in a 4D box that will do the rest of the DCII stuff available, you can do it at some point in the future. Just a thought.

BTW, welcome to the C band experience. It is a bit of a challenge, but very rewarding.

Of immediate needs, a few things to keep in mind.
When setting your pole make sure that it is PLUMB! This is critical for a dish to properly track the arc.
Since the dish came from near your location, do not adjust the inclination or declination! It is likely that once you get oriented for true south on a plumb pole, everything in the arc will line up with just a bit of tweaking.

About true south. That is the satellite that's orbital position is closest to your actual longitude. IE if you are at or near 91°W then you true south bird will be Galaxy17.

http://www.lyngsat.com/91west.html.

If you are closer to 93°W the it will be Galxy25. Get it?

Here is one "down and dirty" way to relocate a dish.
True south position on your dish is where it is looking at the highest point in the arc. The position will be easy to determing and set mechanically by observing the positioning assy. Then while tuned to a known good TP on that bird, rotate the dish on the pole in small increments until you get signal (be sure you have the polarity correct for the TP you are trying to see). If you dont have, or have access to a fancy sat meter, this is where a DVB (FTA) box can come in handy. When you are ready to check alignment on other sats, be sure to tighten the set screws evenly to keep the positioning assy sitting plumb on the pole.
If your locale is not directly "under" a given satellite to use for a TS reference, tweaking off of mechanical center in the direction of the desired sat may be necessary.....rotate on pole, check signal...rinse, lather, repeat........lol
When you think youve got it, verify it by cheking the tracking across the arc. Proper tracking will only occur if the true south orientation is correct.

Inclination and declination are more complex to adjust, and throw more variables into the mix. If it was set properly to begin with (working), locked down, and you didnt move the dish more than a few (5-10) miles or so North or South (E/W doesnt matter) you should be good to go. Even if it was some distance further, it should still be close enough to find some sat reference points relatively easy.

Here is another link to a page on the site TVROPro posted earlier.
Footprints by Dish Size - Adjusting the Polar Mount for Prime Focus Antenna - C/Ku-Band Satellite Systems - Tuning, Tracking, Azimuth, Elevation, Declination Angles, F/D Ratio, Focal Distance, Inclinometer, LNB/Feedhorn Assembly, Actuator Assembly, C

There is an arc tracking graphic near the bottom of the page that may help you invision the relationship between true south, inclination and declination.
Keep us posted.

Attachments

• adjarcsr.gif
    adjarcsr.gif
    19.8 KB · Views: 141
Thanks melgarga. Thats alot of good info.

It looks like i will be going to pick this dish up this weekend. Looks like the weather is going to be nice so far.

I have made print outs of the geo-orbit website on dish install and setup. I have been reading alot on this.

thanks men!
steve

Get some "30 Seconds" to clean it with. That stuff is miraculous. Spray it on and hose it off. For tough stuff get a car washing brush on a handle.

Measure the bolts and buy a box of 100 stainless steel bolts, washers and nuts from McMaster. You'll be happy you did.
McMaster-Carr

The jack might still work but I doubt it. It's a good one when new.

Did you measure the dish? It looks just like my 10'

Try to get the ribbon cable too, if possible

I have already planned on replacing the jack. It may still work, but i doubt too. Think she told me last week that its about 15 years old.

As far as the ribbon cable is concerned, there isnt any cable at all. All cables have been cut.

And thats something else that i will need. Ribbon cable. I really havent found any yet.

LNB - I THINK i want a c/ku lnb. Will i need a polarizer? What is a GOOD quality LNB?

"30 seconds"? I have never heard of that. Where can that stuff be purchased? I was thinking about using some dawn or some degreaser.

From the bolts that i saw, there were 1/4-20 bolts and 1/2-13 bolts. I was also thinking about getting stainless hardware.

Pic added.

Attachments

• Measurement.jpg
    Measurement.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 154
You can get "30 Seconds" at Walmart or Home Depot and probably a lot of other places, but that's where I get it.
It's largely chlorine so wear old clothes if you use it.
I took the 4 petals of the dish and stacked them one on top of the other so that if the spray went through the top one it would get on the next one etc.

If there is no ribbon cable with it I'd get individual cables if you can find them for cheaper locally. Ribbon can get kind of expensive.

I'd try all the stuff you got and see what doesn't work. Then you can put your money where you have to

Well i got my dish home yesterday. Took me around an hour to take down. I took it down to two pieces and put in the trailer and brought it home.

I noticed yesterday that one of the struts for the feedhorn assembly is toast. I have thought about buying four pieces of 1/2 inch EMT conduit that are five feet long. Mashing each end, then drilling a hole.

I am wondering, how do you KNOW that the feedhorn assembly is center of the dish?

Will i need a servo for 4dtv?

Can anyone recommend a quality dishmover, LNB's and Feedhorn?

Here are some pics.

steve

Attachments

• Assembly.jpg
    Assembly.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 149
  • Feedhorn Strut.jpg
    Feedhorn Strut.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 136
  • LNB1.jpg
    LNB1.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 149
Well i got my dish home yesterday. Took me around an hour to take down. I took it down to two pieces and put in the trailer and brought it home.

I noticed yesterday that one of the struts for the feedhorn assembly is toast. I have thought about buying four pieces of 1/2 inch EMT conduit that are five feet long. Mashing each end, then drilling a hole.

I am wondering, how do you KNOW that the feedhorn assembly is center of the dish?

Here are some pics.

steve

I think your idea with the EMT will work, just check your focal distance before you make them, and if you can elongate the holes in the scalar ends that will give you a little adjustment range.

You can determine if your feed is centered by measuring from the edge of the scalar, to the edge of the dish, at multiple points. Assuming your dish is round, that should get you pretty close.

Once the assembly is centered some people here have adapted laser pointers (and other methods) and put them in the feedhorn to determine if the feed is actually pointing in the center of the dish. You may not have to do this (laser test), if you get the feed centered I would go ahead and try it.

I know nothing of 4DTV, but if it requires horizontal and vertical polarities (and I think it does), you will need a servo if you are using a servo-controlled feedhorn. I think you can use a voltage-controlled LNBF for 4DTV, then no servo (or servo control) is required.

You can move the dish with an analog receiver, G-Box or V-Box. The G & V-boxes will not control the servo though.

Seems like that is always the way. Find another dish just like yours and get one of the legs off it and you will have two extra good ones :)

Yep, unless you get one of those feed horns that uses two lnbs at 90° to each other. Shop around. The prices are all over the place. But check the one you have before you buy another one unless you just want a spare

The jack you have on there is a really nice one but I don't think they are made anymore at least that I can find
I bought mine from here
rickssatellitedishmovers

Try all the stuff you have first, then spend money on new stuff

Well men......I just got my 4dtv receiver!:D

I am very excited!

Coming soon........Feedhorn & LNB's and a dishmover. I am very seriously thinking about getting a bullseye feedhorn. I am currently researching them. They are SO expensive.

Anyone know where i can get an ORIGINAL 922 remote? This receiver came with one of those universal remotes.

thanks

Well men......I just got my 4dtv receiver!:D

I am very excited!

Coming soon........Feedhorn & LNB's and a dishmover. I am very seriously thinking about getting a bullseye feedhorn. I am currently researching them. They are SO expensive.

Anyone know where i can get an ORIGINAL 922 remote? This receiver came with one of those universal remotes.

thanks

Congrats on the 4dtv receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)