news helicopter telemetry decoded

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Holy crap, who woulda thunk? I would have thought it was just a bad connection on the left audio or something. And I thought I payed too much attention to detail!

Pretty Cool! I guessed at 1200 baud right away, messing with packet radio for years and having two digi-peaters. Neat though that the guy kept on till he decoded it.

This is beyond amazing. I work in TV news and our editors are told to kill the left channel (telemetry). But most of the time we in the control room hear both channels because the editors are in a rush. It'll sneak past the editors and show up even in a national package.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

It does sound like 1200 baud packet, commonly used in amateur radio, just never thought to try to decode it. Certainly would help to clear up the issue of watching a chopper feed and wondering where the (####) it is!
I have a couple of spare TNCs hanging around, might interface one to the left channel just for fun and see how it shows up on an APRS screen capture... one day when I am really bored..
Kinda thought they would be encoding position data inside the video stream somehow; tighter resolution of the location and path of the vehicle, but maybe this data is not really a big deal for the news crews, as long as they know approximately where their equipment is.

Glad someone had the curiosity to play with the stream and decode it!

-C.

Im assuming the decoding methods used could be applied to signals found using SDR. any step by step guides?

Normally it's microwave.

and my understanding is very line of sight, too (so you might not be able to receive the microwave feed the TV station is getting unless you are in the neighborhood of the TV station).

best bet for decoding is find news chopper videos on youtube or tv stations where the editors have kept the L and R channels, strip off the L channel telemetry and decode it. It was easy to strip off the L channel from the sample video linked on the webpage of decoding the news chopper telemetry. I just haven't looked for the software packages yet to try the remainder of the decoding and plotting steps as described on that webpage.

Thanks Jim S, that girl is extra sharp! I've heard that racket before on newsfeeds and never even wondered what the hell it was. Just knew it was annoying and usually causes me to mute the amp, especially if there's no real audio on the other track. I bet she ends up with a big fat salary someplace.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)