NFL 2007-08 Season

You know what, I like Kitna, but he is not going to lead us to the Super Bowl. By time this team is ready he will be too old. Better to start over with new blood, that can grow with the team. The problem is Ford wouldn't know a good QB if he hit him in the ass with a pass. I guess I'm saying that you're right. ( Again? It was more fun when I didn't agree with you. I don't know who you are, but you better bring our Salsa back!)

Paul,
Either Derek Anderson or Brady Quinn should be available at the end of the year ...
Would you want either of them ?

The Lions at this rate will have somewhere around the 8-12 pick in the draft.
Who do you take ?
If it's a QB, who would your choice be and will they still be available ?

Jimbo

Can the Lions STEAL an NFL caliber Offensive line from somewhere, anywhere, I'm not even worried about where it comes from ....
That would be a step in the right direction.

Jimbo

The Sporting News

The Sporting News had a very interesting breakdown of the teams as far as numbers are concerned, but I am unable to find the info on the webpage so I cannot copy it to post here.
The Offensive numbers are very comparable, Defensively the Bucks have a slight edge.
Very interesting, considering it the SEC

Jimbo

I haven't been on the NFL threads in a while, but let me take this time to tout my beloved Browns in their continued successful "Season of Dreams". There is something really great going on in this town and it is great to be a part of. Last week's "Snow Bowl" was just another historic tale to add to this memorable season and will surely go down in history in Brown's lore as we look back to this '07 season. We control our own destiny now. We even have a chance to win the AFC North! All I want is a chance to avenge our 2 regular season losses to Pittsburgh in the playoffs! If we could do it at home, that would be awesome!

Last edited:
Paul,
Either Derek Anderson or Brady Quinn should be available at the end of the year ...

Who do you take ?

Jimbo

As you may already know, DA is a restricted FA next year, meaning the Browns can match any offer he receives. If another team offers him a contract and we decide not to match, we will have to be compensated a 1st and 3rd pick. If another team is not willing to do so, you can bet that we will sign him to a Max contract for at least 1 year.

The way Brady Quinn's contract is currently structured, it is actually beneficial to the Browns for him to remain a backup currently. A majority of his salary is based with on-the-field incentives. As long as DA is the starter, BQ is great insurance at a cost that doesn't hurt the Browns.

Paul,

Who do you take ?

Jimbo

If I thought Martz was still going to be here, my choice would be Colt Brennan, who would fit like a glove in this offense. Who would we trade for Brady Quinn? We don't have anybody to spare that anybody else would want, except Calvin Johnson, and that wouldn't make any sense, since we could have just drafted him in the first place. On second thought, that's just the kind of thing MILLEN would do. It's a Lion's thing. (Stupidity that is).

I haven't been on the NFL threads in a while, but let me take this time to tout my beloved Browns in their continued successful "Season of Dreams". There is something really great going on in this town and it is great to be a part of. Last week's "Snow Bowl" was just another historic tale to add to this memorable season and will surely go down in history in Brown's lore as we look back to this '07 season. We control our own destiny now. We even have a chance to win the AFC North! All I want is a chance to avenge our 2 regular season losses to Pittsburgh in the playoffs! If we could do it at home, that would be awesome!

Another example of how to build a football team. Ford, Millen, you guys paying attention. Enjoy my friend. What does it feel like?

We control our own destiny now. We even have a chance to win the AFC North! All I want is a chance to avenge our 2 regular season losses to Pittsburgh in the playoffs! If we could do it at home, that would be awesome!

You do not control your own destiny, if both teams win out, the Steelers win the North. That is not what I consider controlling your own destiny.
As far as making the playoffs YES you do !!!

Congrats, your Browns are having a very good season.
They are the surprise team of the year as far as I am concerned !

Jimbo

If I thought Martz was still going to be here, my choice would be Colt Brennan, who would fit like a glove in this offense. Who would we trade for Brady Quinn? We don't have anybody to spare that anybody else would want, except Calvin Johnson, and that wouldn't make any sense, since we could have just drafted him in the first place. On second thought, that's just the kind of thing MILLEN would do. It's a Lion's thing. (Stupidity that is).

Brennen would have to learn how to take a snap in the NFL first, Has he ever taken a snap ?
I hope he turns out better than the last guy we had that had all the records, ummmm , ya um, Andre Ware, that was the guy, Andre, he had a stellar career in the NFL ......

Jimbo

You do not control your own destiny, if both teams win out, the Steelers win the North. That is not what I consider controlling your own destiny.
As far as making the playoffs YES you do !!!

Congrats, your Browns are having a very good season.
They are the surprise team of the year as far as I am concerned !

Jimbo

As far as controlling our destiny, I am simply referring to making the playoffs. If we win, we're in. Simple as that....

As an outsider looking in, why is the QB always the position that gets criticized the most? Forgive me as I don't keep up with Detroit's contract status, but is Kitna a free agent after this year or something? Kitna is well capable of being a starting QB. Hell, he may be your best option right now considering the lack of talent throughout the league....

Being a life-long Brown's fan I can relate (Putting the blame on the QB's), but come on. If I had to point to one single facet in the Brown's improvement this year it would be the much improved Offensive line. Our Offense has given up the second fewest sacks so far this season (1st is the NE Pats). Start with the O-Line, then build around that. It took us a few years to realize that, but we've finally seem to hit on something that works.... ;)

As an outsider looking in, why is the QB always the position that gets criticized the most? Forgive me as I don't keep up with Detroit's contract status, but is Kitna a free agent after this year or something? Kitna is well capable of being a starting QB. Hell, he may be your best option right now considering the lack of talent throughout the league....

Being a life-long Brown's fan I can relate (Putting the blame on the QB's), but come on. If I had to point to one single facet in the Brown's improvement this year it would be the much improved Offensive line. Our Offense has given up the second fewest sacks so far this season (1st is the NE Pats). Start with the O-Line, then build around that. It took us a few years to realize that, but we've finally seem to hit on something that works.... ;)

The problem is, the Lions have worked on the O line, they have drafted as well as traded/ FA route as well and nothing works.
You are correct, they need an O line as well as a new Defense.
Kitna is a temperary situation, they need to actually get a highly regarded QB in there.

And Ford needs to sell the team for the good of the city

Jimbo

The problem is, the Lions have worked on the O line, they have drafted as well as traded/ FA route as well and nothing works.
You are correct, they need an O line as well as a new Defense.
Kitna is a temperary situation, they need to actually get a highly regarded QB in there.

And Ford needs to sell the team for the good of the city

Jimbo

The last 5 years the Lions have drafted 4 WR's and Ernie Simms with their first pick. I am talking about drafting highly touted O-Linemen early in the draft! I don't understand how Detroit expects serious talent at that position if they continue to ignore the O-Line until the 5th, 6th and 7th rounds.

This was always my biggest gripe with Cleveland since they came back into the league in '99. That was until Cleveland went out and signed the top FA O-Linemen the last 2 years in a row ('06- L. Bentley, '07- E. Steinbach). Even though Bentley still hasn't played a snap due to injury we continued to add to the line by adding Joe Thomas with last year's #3 pick.

Trust me, an offensive line is going to make everyone on the team look better. Aging Jamal Lewis is suddenly revived. Derek Anderson is a Pro-Bowl caliber QB all of a sudden. We have 2 receivers (WR- B. Edwards and TE- K. Winslow) that have over 1k yards receiving. You think all of that is by luck?

Here's a peek at the Lion's O-Line attention in the draft since '02:

'07- NONE
'06- Round 5: J.Scott (T), Round 7: F. Mantua (G)
'05- NONE
'04- Round 6: K. Butler (T)
'03- Round 7: B. Johnson (T)
'02- Round 7: V. Rogers (T)

HD MM, you understand more about this situation, than you realize. I've been saying here that football teams are built from the line of scrimmage out, for the last 2 years. As for the QB position being criticized, well that's a Detroit tradition. Understand that I'm not blaming Kitna, I'm merely stating that by time this team comes of age, Kitna will probably no longer be here. My guess is he'll either have died from the pounding he's taking, or old age. Millen has had 7 yrs. to build a program, and we are worse today than when he started. So if the Lions fire him, it stands to reason that the next GM would want to go in a different direction. (I would at least hope so, otherwise what would be the point). That would mean a new coach, and a new QB. Sadly, I expect when the season ends Millen will still be here, and he will be scouting WR's. for the draft. For the record, I would have drafted Joe Thomas, or traded down from the #2 pick in last season's draft, and I said so here back then.

Brennen would have to learn how to take a snap in the NFL first, Has he ever taken a snap ?
I hope he turns out better than the last guy we had that had all the records, ummmm , ya um, Andre Ware, that was the guy, Andre, he had a stellar career in the NFL ......

Jimbo

I've never actually seen him play, so I assume he works from the shotgun? If so, what's the difference? Everybody knows we're going to throw the ball. Truth be told, I'm not impressed with this offense anyhow, and increasing friction between Marinelli and Martz, points to Martz being dismissed anyhow. 40 pts. a game! 5,000 yds. passing! Yeah, right.:rolleyes: Really doesn't matter who's the QB. Detroit is where you come to kill your career if you're a QB or a head coach. Think about the names that have passed through here, where are they now? Few are still around, and none have flourished after leaving here.

The last 5 years the Lions have drafted 4 WR's and Ernie Simms with their first pick. I am talking about drafting highly touted O-Linemen early in the draft! I don't understand how Detroit expects serious talent at that position if they continue to ignore the O-Line until the 5th, 6th and 7th rounds.

This was always my biggest gripe with Cleveland since they came back into the league in '99. That was until Cleveland went out and signed the top FA O-Linemen the last 2 years in a row ('06- L. Bentley, '07- E. Steinbach). Even though Bentley still hasn't played a snap due to injury we continued to add to the line by adding Joe Thomas with last year's #3 pick.

Trust me, an offensive line is going to make everyone on the team look better. Aging Jamal Lewis is suddenly revived. Derek Anderson is a Pro-Bowl caliber QB all of a sudden. We have 2 receivers (WR- B. Edwards and TE- K. Winslow) that have over 1k yards receiving. You think all of that is by luck?

Here's a peek at the Lion's O-Line attention in the draft since '02:

'07- NONE
'06- Round 5: J.Scott (T), Round 7: F. Mantua (G)
'05- NONE
'04- Round 6: K. Butler (T)
'03- Round 7: B. Johnson (T)
'02- Round 7: V. Rogers (T)

They picked up the guy from the Colts a few years back, or was it the Pats, can't remember, Woodly, thats his name, he was pretty good on the other team he was with.
Backus was a high draft pick, out of michigan.
George Foster was the guy they broght in this past year, he was good in Denver.... maybe it's the scheme, or guys come to Detroit knowing that they don't have to play to thier capabilities.
Dominic Riola was suppose to be the next great lineman out of Nebraska.
Many have come and gone in the last 5-10 years draft and FA wise only to no play to thier expectations in Detroit.

Jimbo

I believe the guy you're talking about would be Damien Woody. He was washing out at right guard earlier this season, and they moved him to right tackle where he has played extremely well, solidifying a season long problem position. He was last with New England where he made the pro bowl. He will be a free agent after this season. George Foster came in the Bly trade along with Tatum Bell, neither have dressed for the at least 4 games, I think it has been longer for Bell, who asked to be traded at the 7 or 8 game mark. They're inactive because of coach's decision. Bell will be a free agent after this season. Should of kept his mouth shut. Raiola was named an alternate on the NFC pro bowl squad this yr.. The only thing I can say about him and Backus, is that they have been solid and injury free, not much more than that.

I believe the guy you're talking about would be Damien Woody. He was washing out at right guard earlier this season, and they moved him to right tackle where he has played extremely well, solidifying a season long problem position. He was last with New England where he made the pro bowl. He will be a free agent after this season. George Foster came in the Bly trade along with Tatum Bell, neither have dressed for the at least 4 games, I think it has been longer for Bell, who asked to be traded at the 7 or 8 game mark. They're inactive because of coach's decision. Bell will be a free agent after this season. Should of kept his mouth shut. Raiola was named an alternate on the NFC pro bowl squad this yr.. The only thing I can say about him and Backus, is that they have been solid and injury free, not much more than that.

I've always liked Backus, but he is not the stud they had hoped for when they drafted him.
Your right, Tatum Bell should have kept quiet while he had his chance, he has shown a true lack of class. He should have known that Jones was the guy when he was healthy, Bell is not in his class, I'm sure Shanahan would love to have Jones in Denver.

Jimbo

Possibility of why Michigan lost to App State

Canseco at it again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)