NFL 2008-09 Season

Don't be so sure about that. Schwartz is a former Defensive Coordinator. Why would he chose a QB first overall?

After saying there would be a "thorough" search for a GM, the Lions hired the assistant to the worst GM in the history of sports, Martin Mayhew. I believe he will make the pick.

He did make the Roy Williams trade, so there is a glimmer of hope he knows what he is doing.

I am hoping for Smith or Oher with the #1 pick.

I would inquire about trading for Matt Cassel with the 33rd pick.

After saying there would be a "thorough" search for a GM, the Lions hired the assistant to the worst GM in the history of sports, Martin Mayhew. I believe he will make the pick.

He did make the Roy Williams trade, so there is a glimmer of hope he knows what he is doing.

I am hoping for Smith or Oher with the #1 pick.

I would inquire about trading for Matt Cassel with the 33rd pick.

If you look back to one of my posts, I quoted Jimmy Valvano, on his thought about hiring the assistant after firing the coach. Paraphrasing - " Why hire this guy? Do you think he had the answers all along, and wasn't telling anybody?"

I'm not so sure the Patriot's are interested in trading Cassel. I believe they will put the franchise tag on this guy, which incidently, will put the trade price on him out of range anyhow. Don't look for this guy to go anywhere until the Patriots know more about Brady's health issues.

I know you are not crazy about the Lion's drafting Sanchez, (neither am I), BUT, until last season, Cassel hadn't started a game at QB since high school. So that kinda puts Sanchez ahead of the curve.

I've got a lot of thoughts about how the Lions should approach this draft, but the biggest thought in my mind is that we will still have a very low number in the next draft, so what is the hurry to get a QB now? Find some defensive help, and an OT to protect Culpepper, and maybe we can win a game or two. Baby steps first.

Behold! Wozniak's new punching bag!

Maybe. I don't know how this guy is going to work out, but it's light years ahead of the previous dozen coaches. The problem is that this guy may be a brilliant head coach, but we he may not last long enough for us to ever find out. The guys doing the drafting are part of the MILLEN ERROR. Strike one. Ford still owns the team. Strike two. They're the Lions. Losing is so inbred here we invent new ways to lose on a weekly basis. (Orlovsky running out of the back of the end zone against Minnesota was an instant classic). Strike three.

Detroit is where head coaches come to die. Nobody has left here and been a head coach in the NFL again. They arrive bright eyed and bushy tailed, and leave broken men. As long as upper management remains as is, I have no reason to think that this guy will have any chance of turning this around. Of course I'm hoping to be wrong, but this has been going on for 51 years. But then even a blind squirrel finds the occasional acorn. Don't look for any one year turn-arounds like we witnessed in Atlanta and Miami. Both of those teams had upper management with sound plans and qualified NFL people calling the shots. Not to mention a whole lot more talent to start with. Schwartz has the right pedigree, but he has to overcome 8 years of terrible personnel decisions. I'm predicting that within 2 seasons 40 names will change on this roster. That's a lot of turn over.

That being said, I hope Schwartz is our Messiah. We sure deserve better here in Detroit than what Ford has wrought.

If you look back to one of my posts, I quoted Jimmy Valvano, on his thought about hiring the assistant after firing the coach. Paraphrasing - " Why hire this guy? Do you think he had the answers all along, and wasn't telling anybody?"

I'm not so sure the Patriot's are interested in trading Cassel. I believe they will put the franchise tag on this guy, which incidently, will put the trade price on him out of range anyhow. Don't look for this guy to go anywhere until the Patriots know more about Brady's health issues.

I know you are not crazy about the Lion's drafting Sanchez, (neither am I), BUT, until last season, Cassel hadn't started a game at QB since high school. So that kinda puts Sanchez ahead of the curve.

I've got a lot of thoughts about how the Lions should approach this draft, but the biggest thought in my mind is that we will still have a very low number in the next draft, so what is the hurry to get a QB now? Find some defensive help, and an OT to protect Culpepper, and maybe we can win a game or two. Baby steps first.

I personally would stay away from Sanchez, heck the guy's barely played more than you and I.
He's started a whole 16 games in his college career and THATS suppose to make him ready to play behind the Lions O line ???

He'll get hit more it the first 2 games than he did his whole career at USC

Jimbo

I couldn't believe Youk has been in the league for only 4 years either! Wow! He looks like a grizzled willy 'ol vet. Maybe it's the bald head and big bushy goatee that makes him look older...

Maybe. I don't know how this guy is going to work out, but it's light years ahead of the previous dozen coaches. The problem is that this guy may be a brilliant head coach, but we he may not last long enough for us to ever find out. The guys doing the drafting are part of the MILLEN ERROR. Strike one. Ford still owns the team. Strike two. They're the Lions. Losing is so inbred here we invent new ways to lose on a weekly basis. (Orlovsky running out of the back of the end zone against Minnesota was an instant classic). Strike three.

Detroit is where head coaches come to die. Nobody has left here and been a head coach in the NFL again. They arrive bright eyed and bushy tailed, and leave broken men. As long as upper management remains as is, I have no reason to think that this guy will have any chance of turning this around. Of course I'm hoping to be wrong, but this has been going on for 51 years. But then even a blind squirrel finds the occasional acorn. Don't look for any one year turn-arounds like we witnessed in Atlanta and Miami. Both of those teams had upper management with sound plans and qualified NFL people calling the shots. Not to mention a whole lot more talent to start with. Schwartz has the right pedigree, but he has to overcome 8 years of terrible personnel decisions. I'm predicting that within 2 seasons 40 names will change on this roster. That's a lot of turn over.

That being said, I hope Schwartz is our Messiah. We sure deserve better here in Detroit than what Ford has wrought.

Possibly including the coach ... well, strike that, the Fords are very loyal to thier employee's (see Millen) the new coach will make it thru the 4 years weather he wants to or not !

Jimbo

It will be interesting to see who this guy brings in on the staff. He says he doesn't want anybody with a "scheme" (Like Martz). He wants to stay flexible, which I view as a good thing. I wonder if the management is kicking themselves today, with Gruden being suddenly available?

May the Schwartz be with you!

It will be interesting to see who this guy brings in on the staff. He says he doesn't want anybody with a "scheme" (Like Martz). He wants to stay flexible, which I view as a good thing. I wonder if the management is kicking themselves today, with Gruden being suddenly available?

May the Schwartz be with you!

Do you REALLY think Gruden would have come to Detroit ?
I don't, he's not looking for a reclamation project.

He would go better where there is something established in my opinion.

I don't think that Detroit wants anything to do with anybody who wants a lot of control. How else do you explain the list of no-name coaches that have come and gone in Detroit. They don't want anybody here who will tell them what they are doing wrong. Ford loves yes-men.

I don't think that Detroit wants anything to do with anybody who wants a lot of control. How else do you explain the list of no-name coaches that have come and gone in Detroit. They don't want anybody here who will tell them what they are doing wrong. Ford loves yes-men.

I agree,
They have failed to hire a top notch football guy all these years for a reason.

And the Raiders soap opera continues....

....F***ING Al Davis...just pick a freakin' coach. I mean I like Martindale a ton, but I think they should sign Martindale to become the defensive coach and assistant Head coach and Tom Cable deserve a full year.

Sources: Raiders consider Martindale

Whatever Oakland Raiders linebackers coach Don Martindale said Saturday during his nearly five-hour interview for the team's vacant defensive coordinator position seems to have resonated with his boss, who is considering doing Martindale one better.

Sources say owner Al Davis is seriously considering naming Martindale the team's next head coach.

Davis also has spoken to interim coach Tom Cable and Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride about the head coach position. Broncos quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates and Cardinals offensive coordinator Todd Haley are said to also be on Davis's radar. And former NFL head coach Jim Fassel has expressed interest in the job.

Hiring a head coach with a defensive background would be a departure from Davis's trend of hiring head coaches whose expertise is offense, but the last time Davis went with a defensive coach it worked out quite well -- he promoted linebackers coach John Madden to head coach in 1969. Madden went 103-32-7 with a victory in Super Bowl XI.

Martindale, the Raiders linebackers coach since 2004 is something of a hot commodity around the league. The Broncos and Browns would like to add him to their coaching staffs, and the Jets and Ravens are expected to make Martindale offers if, as many league sources and observers expect, the Jets name Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan as their head coach.

Martindale is one of Davis's most loyal and respectful coaches, and Davis is said to have great affection for him. The possibility of losing him could prompt the owner to end his search by naming Martindale, 45, the head man. Martindale is a coaching free agent and it remains unclear whether he'll accept Oakland's defensive coordinator position if not named head coach.

Michael Smith covers the NFL for ESPN.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3842703"]Sources: Oakland Raiders' Don Martindale could get top job - ESPN[/ame]

....F***ING Al Davis...just pick a freakin' coach. I mean I like Martindale a ton, but I think they should sign Martindale to become the defensive coach and assistant Head coach and Tom Cable deserve a full year.

Sources: Raiders consider Martindale

Whatever Oakland Raiders linebackers coach Don Martindale said Saturday during his nearly five-hour interview for the team's vacant defensive coordinator position seems to have resonated with his boss, who is considering doing Martindale one better.

Sources say owner Al Davis is seriously considering naming Martindale the team's next head coach.

Davis also has spoken to interim coach Tom Cable and Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride about the head coach position. Broncos quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates and Cardinals offensive coordinator Todd Haley are said to also be on Davis's radar. And former NFL head coach Jim Fassel has expressed interest in the job.

Hiring a head coach with a defensive background would be a departure from Davis's trend of hiring head coaches whose expertise is offense, but the last time Davis went with a defensive coach it worked out quite well -- he promoted linebackers coach John Madden to head coach in 1969. Madden went 103-32-7 with a victory in Super Bowl XI.

Martindale, the Raiders linebackers coach since 2004 is something of a hot commodity around the league. The Broncos and Browns would like to add him to their coaching staffs, and the Jets and Ravens are expected to make Martindale offers if, as many league sources and observers expect, the Jets name Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan as their head coach.

Martindale is one of Davis's most loyal and respectful coaches, and Davis is said to have great affection for him. The possibility of losing him could prompt the owner to end his search by naming Martindale, 45, the head man. Martindale is a coaching free agent and it remains unclear whether he'll accept Oakland's defensive coordinator position if not named head coach.

Michael Smith covers the NFL for ESPN.

Sources: Oakland Raiders' Don Martindale could get top job - ESPN

I guess it's a good idea to hire someone within the staff to keep some consistency going. i agree with what you said on who they should promote to where. would they lose tom cable if martindale became the head coach or do you think he'll stay in the raider coaching staff?

Ryan to Coach Jets

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=bal"]Baltimore Ravens News, Schedule, Players, Stats, Video - NFL - ESPN[/ame] defensive coordinator Rex Ryan has agreed to a four-year contract to become coach of the [ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nyj"]New York Jets News, Schedule, Players, Stats, Video - NFL - ESPN[/ame], according to multiple sources.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3843812"]Rex Ryan accepts offer to coach New York Jets - ESPN[/ame]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)