NFL ST Blackout Fail

Status
Please reply by conversation.
here is what i dont understand. i get all of the 49ers home games on my local channel, so i assume i'm in there home market. both the first year when i had free st and this past Sunday I was able to watch the 49ers game on the ST channel without any blackouts. Ir's weird

here is what i dont understand. i get all of the 49ers home games on my local channel, so i assume i'm in there home market.

we are actually discussing this in the sports forum.
Here are the rules as to what market claims what...I am in Minneapolis

-The primary market is the home teams market....if the team is at home and sold out no game can be shown against it......this one is real simple.
-Any market (tv market) that has a portion within 75 miles of the stadium can be claimed as a secondary market (but doesnt have to be)...the only thing with those is they are required to show road games of said team and would black out games if not sold out. They can still show both games of the DH and dont even have to show home games of that team
-Every other market is a free for all and can show DH games with no issues. The market down the road from me (Mankato, MN) is more than 75 miles away from the Metrodome so last Sunday they COULD show a game opposite the Vikes.

The only secondary markets for the 2 bay teams are
Sacramento
Monterey/Salinas

Other markets usually follow the "local" teams but dont have to.......as someone put it the best

If your nearest team is 500 miles away, you do not live in an official secondary market, regardless of how many times you're forced to see said team.

which they should.....

Well, then this could be my/my wife's mistake. She understood (correctly) that since the game was carried by or local affiliate, it would be blacked out on NFL ST. However, when they appeared to be staying with the early game on FOX 7, she double checked 714 just in case, and it said it was blacked out, as she expected. I clarified with her -- she tried 714 around 3:15 and it said it was blacked out. She didn't try again. It sounds like it may have let her watch it on 714 closer to kickoff, had she tried. Well, if this happens again, that's what we'll try.

I guess another takeaway is this: If I am going to be gone for a game that my local affiliate is picking up, I should record the game on both the local channel and the NFL ST channel in case this shenanigans happens again.

At least this week blackouts won't be an issue, as the Niners get to play on Sunday Night in their home opener against the Lions. Let's hope the coach of Detroit doesn't throw a pansy sissy fit and try to attack the Niners coach like he did in the last game.

Last edited:
I guess another takeaway is this: If I am going to be gone for a game that my local affiliate is picking up, I should record the game on both the local channel and the NFL ST channel in case this shenanigans happens again.

you can....whether or not the NFLST channel will be 4 hours of "blacked out" or not we don't know ;)

At least this week blackouts won't be an issue, as the Niners get to play on Sunday Night in their home opener against the Lions. Let's hope the coach of Detroit doesn't throw a pansy sissy fit and try to attack the Niners coach like he did in the last game.

Very excited for sunday night. Hoping to see us show some more on offense, I want to see more Moss in the redzone. I think Crabtree, Moss, Manningham and Vernon is a great 4 tandem, with Gore and Hunter being an awesome 1-2 punch at RB, once Jacobs is back we have a great goal line/short yardage back. Miller is a nice FB converted from DE/OLB. I hope Delanie can get the catching under his belt, he seems rattled.

I hope he gets to him this time, let them duke it out that would be "must see" TV.

I dont have st but always been interested in it...my? is how can their be a blackout??? just wondering

thanks in advance

The same blackout rules apply as the one for showing the game on local TV. Also if the game is being broadcast on local TV you have to watch it there instead of ST so that the local network station can make more money selling it's advertising. If you're outside of a team's market then you don't get blacked out ever except when that game is on a local channel as mentioned above. If that doesn't confuse you I don't know what will. It all makes sense to someone.

but the issue is there can be times where they black it out when they shouldnt
one example is when a game runs long

the other is a blowout. So as example lets use Sundays Vikes/Colts game. It is here locally on KMSP Fox 9. I am in Minneapolis so the NFL ST game is blacked out. Now lets say its a blowout. FOx can move folks to a "better game"...the only spots that they CANT are Minneapolis, Indy and any secondary markets of either team. So if they switch to a different game, someone in North Daota who is watching it on their local Fox may get shifted away from the game and the NFL ST channel is still blacked out.

but the issue is there can be times where they black it out when they shouldnt
one example is when a game runs long

the other is a blowout. So as example lets use Sundays Vikes/Colts game. It is here locally on KMSP Fox 9. I am in Minneapolis so the NFL ST game is blacked out. Now lets say its a blowout. FOx can move folks to a "better game"...the only spots that they CANT are Minneapolis, Indy and any secondary markets of either team. So if they switch to a different game, someone in North Daota who is watching it on their local Fox may get shifted away from the game and the NFL ST channel is still blacked out.

That would make for some very po'ed customers!I have never understood why ST would have any blackouts at all when your paying top dollar for it.NFL needs to change that rule!

exactly.

But they want you to watch the local feed for apparently the "local" commercials. I know MLB EI and NBA LP just remap the RSN because when I record the MLB EI freeview when the game is over and its a team that has a 24/7 RSN on D* you get the "not subscribed" thing but Toronto, San Diego, Milwaukee you get it until the end then sometimes the post game then a D* logo

But NFL ST is its own channels.

That would make for some very po'ed customers!I have never understood why ST would have any blackouts at all when your paying top dollar for it.NFL needs to change that rule!

I agree with you but it was the TV networks that insisted on blacking out the game on ST and forcing viewers to watch it on their local affiliate.

week 2 blackouts not happening?

I am able to watch the vikings on 705 and my local FOX channel, plus I am getting the Eagles game on ch 712 and my local CBS. Is this happening everywhere or just my particular DMA?

Oh it's happening here, Steelers / Jets Blacked out on 715 because KHOU 11 is showing the game. BUT, KHOU showed the rest of the Eagles / Ravens game, and did not switch to the Steelers / Jets until 4mins left in the 1st Qtr, all the while 715 was blacked out, Wife and Father-in-Law, both die-hard Steeler fans, are pissed.....

NFL Blackout rule

do anyone understand this rule? like at 4:25 we was supposed to get NYJ@PIT on CBS but they cut to the BAL@PHI and stay with that until the end, i always thought they have goto the start of the local game no matter what, i am wrong? NYJ@PIT was blackout the ST

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)