NFL Sunday Ticket Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DJ Matt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
As I understand it, the games broadcasted on your local FOX and CBS affiliate are blacked out. I understand that much, but I have one question. Lets say there is a game broadcasted on your local affiliate and the score of the game is 30-0 and its your team that is playing. Well, a lot of times the network will switch the game to a closer more competitive game. Now, when something like this happens, will you be able to go to the designated Sunday Ticket channel and see the game or will it still be blacked out? I did read something about this, but can't remember all the details. I also would like to know if any of you had this experience before and if you were able to tune into the designated NFL Sunday Ticket channels to see the rest of the game.

Now I may be wrong about this, but I'm thinking that the NFL ST only blacks out games involving your local team, not necessarily the game with out of market teams playing on the local channel. I'm in Dallas, and it seems that the games not involving the Cowboys on the local channel were also on ST. If so, then you wouldn't have a problem. The local teams games never get switched in the local market no matter what the score is.

I apologize if this is not so, it's just what I think I remember from last year, which was my first with ST. Maybe someone who's had it longer may have better info.

I know the local teams in your market never get switched, but what if my team (out of market team) is playing and they are up 30-0 and its on the local Fox channel and they decide to switch the game. I think they black the game out on NFL Sunday Ticket since its being carried by your local channel. Would the game then be able to be viewed on NFL Sunday Ticket. I'm just unsure how this works.

This gets written about once or twice each year when the powers that be screw it up (Fox/CBS/DTV-ST/NFL). They are supposed to unblock the game on ST when the network switches games but this usually doesn't happen. The worst I've seen it is when they try to add a conclusion to a second early game before the afternoon doubleheader game starts. If the second early game should go into overtime you could have the Sunday afternoon game of the week blacked out on ST & unavailable OTA until the early overtime game concludes. I missed most of the first half of the Cincy/Indy (37 to 45) game a few years back because CBS Chicago decided to show the last two minutes of the Pitt/Balt game which ended up going to overtime. All in all, ST is still the best sports package around when your local team blows.

This gets written about once or twice each year when the powers that be screw it up (Fox/CBS/DTV-ST/NFL). They are supposed to unblock the game on ST when the network switches games but this usually doesn't happen. The worst I've seen it is when they try to add a conclusion to a second early game before the afternoon doubleheader game starts. If the second early game should go into overtime you could have the Sunday afternoon game of the week blacked out on ST & unavailable OTA until the early overtime game concludes. I missed most of the first half of the Cincy/Indy (37 to 45) game a few years back because CBS Chicago decided to show the last two minutes of the Pitt/Balt game which ended up going to overtime. All in all, ST is still the best sports package around when your local team blows.
This is something that should be worked on better then it seems like. You are paying a bunch of money for it and if the games get switched on your local carrier they should unblock it right away on ST. I too am from Chicago, but not a Bears fan. I hate how I am watching a game and then they cut away to the Bears game at 3:15 CT right away. Of course they have to do that since its Chicago, but what I'm hoping for is if my team is playing at noon and the game extends past 3:15 CT that they will unblock it on ST assuming the game is on your local carrier obviously.

There are NFL rules that dictate it unfold the way you describe. Sometimes they have to stay on the OT game and are not allowed to show the next one until it is concluded, and other times they are not allowed to show any footage from that game due to rights issues. You'll see this happen from time to time, the studio commentators just end up narrating in between their remarks about the other games the status of that other game. Usually it depends on which broadcaster owns the rights to the conference they're covering.

None of this has anything to do with Sunday Ticket, it's the NFL and Networks.

Are there mixups on DirecTV's part? Sure, occasionally things maybe shouldn't be blacked out when they are, but more often than not it's just people not understanding the rules that the broadcasters have to follow.

FYI - if you have superfan - Directv blocks out nothing on the red zone channel - so if red zone is showing the game - then that is another option

Anyone else that has experience with any of this?
As someone else mentioned, when they switch the local game to another game when there is a blowout, they will unblock it from the NFL Sunday Ticket channel. I have actually experienced that. Also, it doesn't matter what teams are playing on the local broadcast, it will be blacked out on the NFL ST channel.

As someone else mentioned, when they switch the local game to another, they will unblock it from the NFL Ticket channel. I have actually experienced that. Also, it doesn't matter what teams are playing on the local broadcast, it will be blacked out on the NFL ticket channel.
Yeah, I knew ahead of time that whatever games broadcasted on your locals will be blacked out on ST. As far as unblocking the game if they switch the game on your local channel, how long does it take for the unblock to occur on the HD channel on Superfan?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)