NFL Sunday Ticket with No DIRECTV base package

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cmclane28

Original poster
Sep 16, 2004
Hello,

This is now my 4th season with NFL Sunday ticket and as of 2 years ago I was able to drop my Total Choice package (because I went back to Bright House Networks cable) and only kept NFL Sunday ticket, which they renew every year automatically.

During Hurricane Frances I lost my cable signal but still had my Directv signal, so I called Directv customer service and had them activate a base package so that I could find out what was going on with the storm.

Two days later, once my cable was turned back on, I called Directv customer service and they gave me one hell of a time because of the fact that they said I could no longer have Sunday Ticket without a base package! I was not amused to say the least. Why would I want to pay $170 for NFL Sunday ticket and then have to slap on an additional $40+ a month for a base package that I wouldn't even use?

Anyway, after complaining enough they finally conceded that I was grandfathered in and let me keep NFL Sunday ticket the same way that I have had it for the past few years.

Well, the other day when Hurricane Jeanne came through I again had to get them to activate a base package so I could see the news and I specifically asked that they put a note on my account about my situation so that I wouldn't be given a hard time again when I called to cancel it. This morning I called and of course they gave me a hard time again saying that they couldn't cancel it while leaving Sunday Ticket enabled. I was furious. Finally, after speaking with a resolution supervisor I was able to convince him again that I should be grandfathered in since I have only had NFL Sunday ticket for the past few years.

Anyway, he said that this season is the last season that they are going to allow NFL Sunday ticket with no base package. My question to him was, "How is going to work when the renewal period comes around for NFL Sunday ticket then?" and he said "Well, we have yet to determine that". I wonder if they are going to renew me and then try to automatically activate a base package without me knowing...I would hope not.

Anyone else out there only have NFL Sunday ticket with no base package? Has anyone else had this type of experience with Directv yet? I think it is ridiculous that they would be willing to lose the $170 sale for Sunday ticket just because their new policy is that you have to have a base package that you don't need. That is very poor customer service in my opinion, especially since I have been doing this for 3 years. They are about to lose a customer and I am sure there are others out there that will be forced to drop them as well.

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to see what everyone thought of this.

Last year technically was the last year of NFLST only...

Since you are "grandfathered" ANY changes to your account and you can lose that status. When people have distants because of "Grandfathering", if they make any changes (move, add anything), they LOSE that status.

Grandfathered means no changes or you lose it :)

Curtis0620 said:
Why anyone would want Brighthouse is beyond me. They suck. And tell me again which service went out because of the hurricane?
Actually which service went out twice and which one stayed on? Next year plan on having either NFL Sunday ticket and a minimum qualifying Directv package or Brighthouse. Directv let you back twice this year when you changed the programming package next year they won't have the option it will be available only with a base package. :(

Thanks guys. I think the lesson to be learned is that I will not change anything else with Directv unless I am willing to go with it all the way. Hopefully I will be able to keep just NFL Sunday ticket next year. I will just lay low and hope they don't come after me! :)

By the way, I am happy with Bright House in the Tampa Bay area because of the fact that they have several HD channels including my favorite, ESPN HD. Can't do without it! Local channels really suck for reception though.

And even though my cable went out during the hurricanes, cable is much less likely to lose a signal in a normal rainstorm, which we have a lot of in Florida! That was my main gripe about Directv in the past.

You were very lucky to retain your grandfathered status. Technically, you made changes to your packages (Twice!). I would have stopped after the first time.

DirecTV has ESPN-HD along with HDnet and HDnet Movies, Bravo-HD, and Discovery channel HD (don't know if you'll qualify for the CBS, NBC, Fox HD channels.)

Sometimes, using a larger dish can help allievate rain fade.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)