NHL Scheduled to Return - what about Center Ice customers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

aa9vi

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
The NHL has agreed to a framework with the players assn. for a new CBA with rumors of a 48-game season season starting Jan 19th. So, will Center Ice just be prorated (48/82) x normal cost? Any idea?

I'm hearing rumors/suggestions that the NHL should make Center Ice free for the season to get back on the fans' good side. I'd take that!

There is a petition going around in Canada on TSN's facebook page. As far as in Canada goes, there is no rumor going around that the NHL will go for it, in fact it is highly unlikely. You don't make up for 1.8 Billion $ in lost revenue by giving out freebies. As of now, there is just a lot of signatures on the facebook petition, nothing more. In years past, has DTV offered ALL games in HD ??

On DirecTV, all the US teams home Feeds are in HD, but Philly doesn't have a home feed available unless you have Cable. Games with both Canadian teams are SD except for Toronto. Only Home 1 Feed is available on Center Ice if both teams are Canadian.

John

DirecTV gives any game that they already have uplinked on one of their RSN channels in HD, so Detroit v Chicago for example, both feeds are available in HD.

They also generally air the Toronto feed in HD, other Canadian team feeds are usually SD, and sometimes only one feed if they are two Canadian teams playing each other.

As for price, there is no info from the NHL yet, or any provider. I would expect it will come out in the next week or so. Given that there is a bit more than half a season, $99 would be a likely price. If they wanted to do something more aggressive due to the lockout, perhaps a $79. I doubt you would see much lower than that given they have to give the provider their cut.

Not bashing anybody but I can't believe I just read that much on the NHL. More then I have since I was born ;)

I am hoping that since the majority of the US couldn't give 2 $hits about the NHL, that the rinks are empty down there. Here in Canada, unfortunately the rinks will be full no matter what

Just to give perspective on how ridiculously into hockey we are in Canada, have a look at our main sports network home page http://www.tsn.ca/... all the headlines are about the NHL, pfff, BCS title, who cares? NFL playoffs, who needs coverage of that?? It's sickening ( i'm not the average canadian hockey fan, give me NFL and NCAA football, then hockey)

The odds of the NHL giving us free center ice are about as good as Jim Basille buying the Phoenix Coyotes and moving them to Hamilton for openning night on Jan 19th.

My goodness, how I wish it was like that here in the States!! I'm a frequent visitor to TSN online...love their hockey coverage!

My goodness, how I wish it was like that here in the States!! I'm a frequent visitor to TSN online...love their hockey coverage!

agreed. That was one of the best things about my Canadian subscription...TSN's hockey coverage

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side :p ... I am definitely in the Canadian minority who does not follow hockey as my # 1 sport. I think that ended in the first lockout, that same year I started playing fantasy football so hockey took a huge dip... sent an email to Shaw Direct, my canadian provider to see if they have any news on Center Ice, I assume the majority of providers will be offering the same ball park promotion. Will report back

Not bashing anybody but I can't believe I just read that much on the NHL. More then I have since I was born ;)
That's because you live in Indana and between IU basketball and ND football no one cares about anything else. I have a friend in IN and he could care less about hockey. It's an Indiana thing. The South could care less about hockey too. The lockout didn't hurt them since there was no legitimate hockey fan base to alienate.

The odds of the NHL giving us free center ice are about as good as Jim Basille buying the Phoenix Coyotes and moving them to Hamilton for openning night on Jan 19th.
You're being sarcastic but you are totally right. There shouldn't even be a team in Phoenix. Every year since they have been there they have lost money. It's not a hockey market. The league and the city have subsidized that team very heavily for years. It's really pathetic. Quebec City would be better off with a team playing in Le Colisee for a year or two before their new barn is built. At least it'll make money up there. Canadians actually care about the game and don't need rules posted on the scoreboard (Nashville Predators for years did this).

My other favorite story was that some guys I knew went to Atlanta to see a Thrashers game and overheard two rednecks saying "There's 2 half- times in Hah-key"

Dallas has a strong fanbase for the Stars. I can't think of any other southern market that has as strong or a stronger fanbase.

I would consider San Jose a southern city from where I am LOL... but no you are right, Dallas is about it.. Unfortunately I think Seattle will get a team before Quebec, that is Gary Bettman's ego at work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)