Nintendo Revolution's Virtual Console...

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
That is so awesome! I might have to get one now. I bought an NES and S-NES and my ex had an N64.

korsjs

Welcome To SatelliteGuys
Supporting Founder
Jan 25, 2004
Land O Lakes, FL
this is kind of disapointing. this is the first i have heard of them charging for the old games. i thought this was going to be their main selling point for the system.

i guess i should have known better.

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
When I saw that they were going to charge for the games it became disapointing for me too. It is believed that they are going to offer a monthly service to existing games. This reminds me of VOD, only this will be games on demand. I believe Yahoo has a service like that available online right now. Gamefly offers a service like Netflix on it is for gaming consoles.

korsjs

Welcome To SatelliteGuys
Supporting Founder
Jan 25, 2004
Land O Lakes, FL
you are right, when the announced this months ago, there was never any mention of fees.

do you remember the sega channel? that was pretty cool.

Purogamer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Jul 19, 2005
Mentor, Ohio
They have said it would be a pay service since day 1...

The only selling point it could possibly have over the illegal means everyone currently uses is if it can perfectly emulate the games, specifically the last consoles. NES games are pretty well perfected, but people would gladly pay to have some N64 games playable again without having to use one of the worst controllers ever made...

It won't bomb, but it won't revolutionize anything...

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
I like that all the Zelda games will be available. I LOVED those games.

Will you be able to save your game like you did in the original?

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
At least consumers will be able to readily get their games that they once enjoyed again. A blast from the past.

Purogamer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Jul 19, 2005
Mentor, Ohio
I just read the article (didn't need to before) and there's a few things to consider. First it's IGN, it's hardly the gospel. 2nd of all, I looked at the pics and said "mock ups" before reading the article which barely mentions that's true.

3rd, the "500" number on the games would be more likely to be true than the buy/rent prices they mention. Nobody is buying these old games for $20 no matter how rare they are because unless nintendo gets VERY anal with user-registration, I wouldn't want to buy games and hope they last forever on a console's flash RAM or HD or whatever they're using. The rent fee would be ok but 14.99 a month is a bit steep.

Anyone who really wants to play old-school zelda that badly is already doing it for free so I don't know what nintendo is thinking here...

Bunkhouse

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 19, 2005
IGN isn't the most reliable source. They will be reasonable with prices, i wouldn't expect games to go over $10. NES/SNES i'd see around $5 and Goldeneye about $10. There was also something mentioned a while back about buying a new game that will unlock a classic version of it.
The system has a built in flash storage drive to store saves & downloaded games.
Good to see a nice preliminary list out, hopefully the rumors of sega and square releasing select classic games are also true:love .

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
You can get the old games for what $3-5 a peice? Maybe even a buck if you look hard enough and buy them in lots. Heck even the playstation games can be had for that. I am thinking the same thing Purogamer is with paying for a game that is going to be stored on flash Ram/HD/etc. Something could happen to the storage and you would be out your investment. What they could do is give you a code with the game purchase that would allow you to redownload it if needed. To prevent piracy they could make it to where it would only download to your particular system.

For $15 a month you could buy several games and end up with a huge amount in no time and you could resell them later. If you purchase the games they could go with the nintendo that your selling increasing its value.

You can use emulators and ROMS to play them for free if you can find where to get them and have good links. Mariokart is my favorite game. Beat them on the Super Nintendo and N64.

A while back they came out with newer versions of the nintendo and super nintendo in a smaller console. They are probably harder to find now. I know a guy that buys used nintendo's whether they are working or not and fixed them then sells them. Anybody have any that they want to sell for cheap?

Purogamer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Jul 19, 2005
Mentor, Ohio
Well when you download you'll have to pay for it with a CC i'm sure, and Nintendo is a lot more likely to not randomly erase data like a Sony product would, so I'm sure it'll be fine if you did lose your data. They'd see it's the same person and probably be ok with letting you re-download your stuff.

Plus every download will probably have a encryption code. Soon as you say "my old games are gone, I need new ones", the old encryption codes get red-flagged if anyone tries to access them online.

Buying the games and disconnecting from the net may enable people to hack the code and trade it once they figure out how to get into the revolution file system...

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
I may just wait until some used are available a year or so from now before I get one. Is the DS capable of being hooked up to a television?

Gates and Ballmer: What's on their Xboxes

Connecting to Xbox Live in a Hotel

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)