jwolf

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Cutting Edge
Aug 19, 2007
Niagara Falls, NY
Long story short, hopefully.

I am not under contract with directv and was interested in the genie. I called Directv today and said "cancel" and was connected to the most awesome rep I have ever dealt with, just awesome. I told her that I saw on my account page on directv.com that I was eligible for a free HD DVR upgrade and I asked if it was a genie, it wasn't. I told her thanks for the info and she asked if I want a genie, I said yes. I accepted the following offer, $20 off my bill for 12 months, free NFL Sunday ticket, the $10 DVR fee waived for 12 months on the genie, and a free genie.

I would like the HR44, but she could not tell me which I would get. Install is set for 8/28. If the installer doesn't have an HR44, should I wait until he does, or should I go ahead with the HR34?? See what I mean about the no-brainer ?

I hope it was a short story.

The 44 is a bit faster and has the CCK built in. It's also about half as thick as a 34 but basically will take up the same space. I see no reason to demand the 44.

It's your call - I'd wait on the HR44 unless he says they haven't received any in their warehouse yet and have no ETA - then you could be waiting well past the start of the fall TV season.

I upgraded from a HR34 to a HR44 at a cost of about $100, DirecTV paid half and I paid half and bought it from a retailer to secure that specific model. I am pleased with the improvements in speed for my $100 spend.

I'm just wondering if the installer shows up and has the HR34, can I refuse the install or reschedule it for a date when they have the 44 in stock? How is the speed of the HR34 as compared to the HR24, I have two 24's and will give one back after the genie install.

Some said the same thing about the HR21 relative to the HR20 and they couldn't have been much more wrong.

True .... I skipped from the HR20 to the HR24's ... avoided the HR21x series all together, but there was other reasons for that at the time .... like NO MORE OTA ... till after D* realized thier mistake ... that people DO use thier OTA Antennas.

Then after that realized that, decided to come up with another way to make MORE money, offer a stand alone to take ther place of what threy once GAVE you .... :rant:

I work with HR44 and 34's all day. I have the HR34 at home. The 44 is not that much faster to get excited about it. The only thing that is really that much better is the CCK is built in, and thats only a benifit to the installer.

Thanks for the info. I keep reading hr34 horror stories and don't want to give up one of my hr24's, which are awesome receivers, for a troublesome one. Don't really care about the wireless feature, already connected the cinema kit to my router in the basement.

Thanks for the info. I keep reading hr34 horror stories and don't want to give up one of my hr24's, which are awesome receivers, for a troublesome one. Don't really care about the wireless feature, already connected the cinema kit to my router in the basement.

Don't forget, adding/swapping a HR24 for the Genie WILL get you a 24 month commitment.

I have an HR34 with 2 HR24s. They work awesome together. I would not turn down the great deal you got just for an HR44.

The more I think, the more I agree. I appreciate the great customer service they gave me.

I work with HR44 and 34's all day. I have the HR34 at home. The 44 is not that much faster to get excited about it. The only thing that is really that much better is the CCK is built in, and thats only a benifit to the installer.
I'm wondering if the separate components approach to saving money on replacement is working. If they're saving money hand over fist by being able to replace power supplies instead of whole receivers, wouldn't the same logic apply to using a CCK versus building it in?

Of course at some point, having five+ different thingies (multiple power bricks/warts, CCK, AM21, adapters, place shifter, splitters and the associated large bundle of wire) to make up what could have been a single tidy box has got to wear on you.

imho 34 and 24 are very similar in speed
when the installer calls to setup/verify time ask about the 44 then

My install was this morning and I received the HR34 and the C31(?) client receivers. I asked about the HR44 and the installer told me that they are not even available in my market yet, he thought it could be January before they are here. Anyway, installer was awesome, and answered any questions and gave his his cellphone number for any questions or problems.

Just setting things up on the genie now and waiting for the guide to populate, very cool system!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)