No Existing Sub can get Turbo HD?

Well, according to Dish Network's own webpage, you won't be able to get TurboHD as a current customer.

DISH Network -- Tools

Am I the only one noticing they are planning on offering 1080p VOD?

I, too find it odd that they won't offer existing customers the chance to pay big bucks extra for a couple RSNs. Is it officially confirmed that grandfathered HD Absolute customers won't be getting RSNs? Perhaps that's why Dish is blocking us, to save us money. Of course with Dish, that is probably too optimistic.

Ya, I noticed that about 1080p VOD. Also, note they say something about 8psk-turbo code. Is that different than regular mpeg4?

Ya, I noticed that about 1080p VOD. Also, note they say something about 8psk-turbo code. Is that different than regular mpeg4?

I believe you will need a 722 to receive the hd VOD. The 622 will not be compatible with it.

I will believe 1080p when I see it.:D

your probably right! well see BS flying Aug 1 for sure.I'm tired of dish, one month one thing, next month another problem,lawsuits /crashing sat'/lost sats/different channel line ups/prices, whats next?. What a Micky mouse company,and Charlie your the biggest clown. Dish if you read this take care of your long term customers there keeping you a float and trying to hang on.

I have an account in my name only. Can I cancel and sign back up under my wife's name to get in on the new customer Turbo HD offering? I emailed Dish and told them I would switch to Directv if they didn't let me upgrade. I haven't gotten a response yet. I'm not under contract. I want to stay with Dish though. I also want my RSNs and HD only.

I have an account in my name only. Can I cancel and sign back up under my wife's name to get in on the new customer Turbo HD offering? I emailed Dish and told them I would switch to Directv if they didn't let me upgrade. I haven't gotten a response yet. I'm not under contract. I want to stay with Dish though. I also want my RSNs and HD only.

Let me know what they tell you. I like you want my RSN's and only HD.

All I can say is I am glad I signed up for Dish HD Absolute last week. I will be curious to see what happens to this plan come February 2009.

Ted

Well, according to Dish Network's own webpage, you won't be able to get TurboHD as a current customer.

DISH Network -- Tools

I don't get why they would not sell TurboHD to an existing customer.

*shrug*

What are they going to do for existing customers that want to get HD? Make them stay with their standard def and pay $10 or $20 extra for HD access? I can't imagine them saying "you can't have HD" to current customers.

Robert

Is the "no Turbo HD for existing subscribers" thing permanent, or will that only last until February 09?

Can't understand why Dish keeps doing stupid things. So now I can't get Turbo Gold with RSN because I am a good 8 year customer who stayed with them through all their other problems. Amazing!!! Sign somebody up and give them what I want because they have not been a loyal customer. Let's hope they change their mind. I am not a happy camper and now that D* gives away their HD-DVR with the NFL package I may have to listen ... despite my past loyalty.

I emailed ceo@echostar.com and asked why they would do this and also if you subscribe to DISH HD Absolute before 8/1 will you still get any new HD added and will you get your RSN's. I think I know the answer to the RSN part but I shall see what they say. I think this is going to really make a lot of people mad if they keep to this stance and from the sound of it push more existing customers to D*, myself included.

I believe you will need a 722 to receive the hd VOD. The 622 will not be compatible with it.

I will believe 1080p when I see it.:D

You know, I bet this is the reason they don't want to offer it to existing customers. I bet they want to make sure all TurboHD customers get to use their wonderful :rolleyes: HD VOD service, but they can't produce receivers fast enough to convert all the existing customers that they think will want in on it.

I'm completely serious here. It's exactly the sort of logic I've come to expect from Dish.

Sorry I was reading wrong, it was the "free for 3 months" that wasn't available. I just switched my package from the Everything Pack and all premiums to HD Absolute with all Premiums, saves me $40.00 a month, I will miss Speed and FX though!

Can't understand why Dish keeps doing stupid things. So now I can't get Turbo Gold with RSN because I am a good 8 year customer who stayed with them through all their other problems. Amazing!!! Sign somebody up and give them what I want because they have not been a loyal customer. Let's hope they change their mind. I am not a happy camper and now that D* gives away their HD-DVR with the NFL package I may have to listen ... despite my past loyalty.

Where did you hear D* gives away their HD/DVR with the NFL Sunday package? On their website, you get $100 back on the $191 charge for the receiver, and you have to pay for Sunday Ticket too

I can see a big train wreck happening on 01 august 2008!

Actually, I see a big nothing happening. If you are a current subscriber, you'll get 1 to 17 more channels with no price change. Realistically, most people don't even know what's going on. The only people who will be mad are HD Only/Absolute subscribers who are willing to pay a absurdly huge premium to get their RSNs. And chances are, if the RSNs were that important to them, most of them wouldn't have switched to HD Only anyway.

Clearly, they realized that HD Only/Absolute was a problem because it limits how many HD channels they can add. Adding HD feeds to packages that already have SD versions cost little to nothing. But adding the same feeds to the HD Only Package costs quite a bit. They realized they were about to hit the ceiling of profitability. Tiering the packages will solve that problem. The number of HD Only/Absolute subscribers is still pretty small...they can absorb the costs for a few more months.

It's good in the long run. What's idiotic is their handling of it. If I am crazy enough to offer them an extra $20 a month just to get my RSN...that's my business. (BTW, I am NOT crazy enough to do that. But I don't like being told I can't.)

My main problem with all this is that they failed to address what a terrible deal the "Platinum/Ultimate" has become.

Where did you hear D* gives away their HD/DVR with the NFL Sunday package? On their website, you get $100 back on the $191 charge for the receiver, and you have to pay for Sunday Ticket too

Our local newspaper was running the ad about the free HD-DVR. The NFL is the same deal as last year I believe (4 months of Premier if you buy the NFL League Pass).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)