No Existing Sub can get Turbo HD?

It's good in the long run. What's idiotic is their handling of it. If I am crazy enough to offer them an extra $20 a month just to get my RSN...that's my business. (BTW, I am NOT crazy enough to do that. But I don't like being told I can't.)

For me, I have DVR Advantage w/ AT200, and I'd like to downgrade to HD Only. The problem I've had is I want my HD RSNs too, which is unavailable under the current plan. Now they offer just what I'm looking for and I'm ineligible. Awesome.

Same thing here..I have DVR Advantge w/ AT200 for $50 a month and my free HD ultimate for 6 month promo will run out at 7/25..
What do you guys suggest I do? I was planning on getting the Turbo HD Silver which is $40 a month with DVR & local..
If Dish really isn't allowing current customer from switching to Turbo HD..what would you guys suggest I do?
If I cancel all HD on 7/26, will I be able to swtich to TurboHD? Or should I downgrade from HD ultimate to HD essenital be my option?

Well, I received my response from Dish. Not exactly addressing my question but, a big "screw you"

"Thank you for your e-mail. We regret to inform you that you cannot have access to regional sports network unless you have at least America's Top 100 Plus. Our records show that you have been offered a free upgrade to HD DVR. If you want to take advantage this offer, you may call Customer Service at 1-800-333-3474 to set up an appointment for a technician to come out.

We do not allow customers to disconnect the service just to have Turbo HD. You were able to get the best promotion that we were offering from the date that you started the service. If you want to disconnect the account, you may call Customer Service at 1-800-333-3474 to disconnect through a customer service representative, who will go over disconnection options and final disclosures with you.

We thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to DISH Network -- Home or reply to this email."

I guess Dish just doesn't care.

Well, I received my response from Dish. Not exactly addressing my question but, a big "screw you"

"Thank you for your e-mail. We regret to inform you that you cannot have access to regional sports network unless you have at least America's Top 100 Plus. Our records show that you have been offered a free upgrade to HD DVR. If you want to take advantage this offer, you may call Customer Service at 1-800-333-3474 to set up an appointment for a technician to come out.

We do not allow customers to disconnect the service just to have Turbo HD. You were able to get the best promotion that we were offering from the date that you started the service. If you want to disconnect the account, you may call Customer Service at 1-800-333-3474 to disconnect through a customer service representative, who will go over disconnection options and final disclosures with you.

We thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to DISH Network -- Home or reply to this email."

The tone of that email from Dish does sound quite ballsy:mad: The offer from plasma concepts and the D* free hd dvr with nfl season ticket, is looking better by the minute.

I have been searching and reading about TurboHD for the past few days...

Can anyone tell us what the difference is? Is it a different compression? Does it use the same boxes (MPEG2/4)? Is it just an excuse to raise the bill? How the hell can 1080p be done with the 722? What are the channels going to be vs what they are now on Absolute? Why would E* even think of alienating current subs from this? Just a few questions that have been sitting in my head since I heard of this.... Can anyone chime in with any/all the answers?

Thx-

Well, after reading quite a few posts about various scenarios and the deadline for grandfathering in with HD Absoute quickly approaching, I went ahead and pulled the trigger and downgraded from my Everything Pack, locals and 4 of the 5 premiums to HD Absolute with the same Premiums. I was assured by the almost extinct American CSR that by switching to HD absolute that I would receive ALL the non-premium HD channels including any added on 8/1 and thereafter. I realize that they probably are giving inaccurate information but was willing to take the chance that they will want to resolve the ALL HD situation at some point in the very near future with their current and long term loyal customers. With my last bill coming in at about $170.00, it was time to do something.

Can you please PM me a copy of that complete message (with the CSR information)?

To me that kind of email to a customer is unacceptable. :)

Yeah they are going to have to offer this to current customers as well! I think this would be a stupid if they did not. Heck I just had a co worker asking about this just a minute ago and that he was thinking about going to this new Turbo HD.. He a current Dish HD Customer just like myself and he will not be happy to find out that you half to be a new customer. I guess folks will drop Dish or something then come back as a new customer. Kind of sad that providers seem not to take care of their current customers.. This is something Scott I would voice to your contacts that from what I'm hearing most folks will not like this idea.. This is just giving folks another reason to go to the other side.. I think sometimes these people that make these kind of decisions have more money than they do common sense.. I think they need to crab both ears and pull their head out.. :)

Yeah they are going to have to offer this to current customers as well! I think this would be a stupid if they did not. Heck I just had a co worker asking about this just a minute ago and that he was thinking about going to this new Turbo HD.. He a current Dish HD Customer just like myself and he will not be happy to find out that you half to be a new customer. I guess folks will drop Dish or something then come back as a new customer. Kind of sad that providers seem not to take care of their current customers.. This is something Scott I would voice to your contacts that from what I'm hearing most folks will not like this idea.. This is just giving folks another reason to go to the other side.. I think sometimes these people that make these kind of decisions have more money than they do common sense..

Can you actually cancel the service and resign up as a new subscriber, my thinking and what I have been told is that when you cancel you can't get service for 18 months.

Can you actually cancel the service and resign up as a new subscriber, my thinking and what I have been told is that when you cancel you can't get service for 18 months.

Well not for sure on all of your questions.. Sure anyone can cancel their service but if your still in your contract or have not completed your 18 month commitment. I would think they would hit you with some kind of cancellation fee. Most of my friends have already fulled their contract so they could cancel their service at any time.. But yeah my guess is that you probably would half to wait 18 months before they would consider you a new customer.. But Not Totally for sure maybe someone else would have more information on the subject. Your best bet is just to call and ask see what they tell you due to everyone situation is going to be a little different.

One thing is for sure you always take care of your current customers before anyone else. You can not run things this way due to while your offering certain things to "New Customer" but not your current Customer Base you will never make any head way. Why due to while your trying to get New Customers and get your numbers up your really not gaining any. Because while your signing up new folks up your loosing your old ones so really you shooting yourself in the foot.Allot of Service Providers do this sometimes it works for awhile due to you have some growth but in the long run I think folks figure out that the longer their customer it seems they get less things offered to them and less for their money. Which will cost you to loose customer base due to folks will look else where to be someone else where they will become a New Customer and it will not be with their current provider it will be with one of their competitors.

I think its kind of funny due to they all seem to do this not just Dish but I dont understand it. If you can not take care of your current customers now how do you plan on taking care of new ones when they will be treated the same way. Hmm like they say always take care of what you have now so you can take care of those you dont have.. Maybe one day the light will be turn on for them and they will see what their doing... Either way this will work for them or it really wont do much for them. Just my 2 cents..

Last edited:

The Dish website actually says "Only available to new, first time Dish Network customers" so it shouldn't matter if you just drop all services and then add them again--you're not a new first-time customer

DISH Network -- Tools

The way the new TurboHD package is going work, the customer must have all mpeg-4 equipment. If you want TurboHD you can not have any SD receiver on your account.

My contract has expired and the account is in my name only. I talked to a Dish CSR and they said I could cancel and sign up under my wife's name and a new credit card. The last name and address don't matter. They only look at the social secuirty number and the credit card number. She even said I could cancel and resign up under my wife's name in one transaction.

My contract has expired and the account is in my name only. I talked to a Dish CSR and they said I could cancel and sign up under my wife's name and a new credit card. The last name and address don't matter. They only look at the social secuirty number and the credit card number. She even said I could cancel and resign up under my wife's name in one transaction.

The next CSR you talk to probably won't let you do it.

Why does it say this in the press release...

New or current DISH Network subscribers who commit to DHA-24 will also receive HBO and Starz free for the first three months of their subscription.

I talked to a csr and they said just ask about it aug 1st and then you can receive it. Then I asked another csr and they are all telling me now that only new customers are eligible for this even though it clearly states current. How can you put this in a press release and it be false information. I was wanting to add hbo and starz and looking to save money.

Scott...are you aware of what this is exactly and if only new customers can get it.

Thanks in advance.

Existing customers are able to receive HBO and Starz free for 3 months. I beleive the promotion requires a new 24 month commitment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts