No Existing Sub can get Turbo HD?

I want to switch to dish from cable, but the uncertainty regarding HD absolute and Turbo HD has me confused. My cable bill is @125/mo, so either HD only will be a savings. lol

I want to switch to dish from cable, but the uncertainty regarding HD absolute and Turbo HD has me confused. My cable bill is @125/mo, so either HD only will be a savings. lol

If you want your RSN get the new Turbo HD Pak (whichever one you want) on 8/1. If you dont care about RSN then get HD Absolute before 8/1.

If you want your RSN get the new Turbo HD Pak (whichever one you want) on 8/1. If you dont care about RSN then get HD Absolute before 8/1.
Very true. Personally, I am glad I signed up for the HD Absolute when I did. Still getting used to rainfade; but otherwise $36/month (HD Abs + DVR // no locals - yet) rocks anything comcast offers. And if RSNs are not important to you; HD Absolute is a better deal. Save $20 compared to Turbo Gold + Platinum add on.

RSN's weren't important to me, mine are on 129 and I use 61.5, the wife still isn't very happy cause she lost Soapnet, we both miss Speed and FX, but hopefully they'll add those. I was on the fence until I heard they weren't going to have it anymore. Most of the stuff I'll miss is on-line so that will get me by for awhile.

From the nice folks at ceo@echostar.com:

"Thank you for your email and bringing your concern to our attention.

At this time the TurboHD programming packages are only available for new customers. The HD Absolute package will no longer be available to any customers as of 8/1/2008. If you add this programming to your account prior to 8/1/2008 you will be “grandfathered” and will be able to keep the HD Absolute programming, as long as it is not removed from your account, through January 2009. Any additional HD channels that are added to the DISH Network lineup between now and January 2009 will also be added to the HD Absolute package. At this time there is no indication that Regional Sports Networks will be added to the HD Absolute package. After January 2009 it is possible that the HD Absolute package will transition into a new programming package to be determined at that time.

I apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you and please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions."

At this time the TurboHD programming packages are only available for new customers. The HD Absolute package will no longer be available to any customers as of 8/1/2008. If you add this programming to your account prior to 8/1/2008 you will be “grandfathered” and will be able to keep the HD Absolute programming, as long as it is not removed from your account, through January 2009. Any additional HD channels that are added to the DISH Network lineup between now and January 2009 will also be added to the HD Absolute package. At this time there is no indication that Regional Sports Networks will be added to the HD Absolute package. After January 2009 it is possible that the HD Absolute package will transition into a new programming package to be determined at that time.

I apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you and please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions."

I just got the same email about an hour ago. I guess that is what the Executive CSR's have been told to tell us. I want my RSN so I will probably stay with what I have and wait till they let us in on the Turbo Paks. At least I think so as I am still on the fence a bit trying to decide if I can live without my RSN for a little while and save a bunch of money. Decision time is SOON though.:D

I would miss TCM, MSNBC, and Comedy Central if I switched to HD Absolute. I would not miss the $130+ bill. But how much would having 2 dual tuners plus a 921 replacement (722*2+622), and premiums to get their HD components, say Max, Starz, HBO, and maybe SHO? I'm not interested in sports or PPV, at all. We need an HD premium package!

I would miss TCM a lot less with World, Kung Fu, and Monsters, oh well. Any chance of TCM-HD?
Got to make this decision this weekend. I guess.
-Ken

I just got the same email about an hour ago. I guess that is what the Executive CSR's have been told to tell us. I want my RSN so I will probably stay with what I have and wait till they let us in on the Turbo Paks. At least I think so as I am still on the fence a bit trying to decide if I can live without my RSN for a little while and save a bunch of money. Decision time is SOON though.:D

At least you guys got a response from the ceo office. I have yet to receive one for my questions about the future status of msg-hd family of channels.

Wow! Dish drops the ball again! No RSN/HD only solution for existing customers.....all I can do is scratch my head!

I know I will probably get slammed for asking this, but I have been holding out coming back to E* since I cancelled back in Feb. '07. In order to get in on an HD only package, do I need to act before 8-1? Or can I come back in one of those Turbo HD packs (and get my RSN and Big Ten Network also?)

Last edited:
HD Absolute Customers take note

a little birdie told me ANY change in a grandfathered HD Absolute Package (after 8/1) will cause you to loose your grandfathered status (including adding/subtracting premium packages or using DishMOVER)

a little birdie told me ANY change in a grandfathered HD Absolute Package (after 8/1) will cause you to loose your grandfathered status (including adding/subtracting premium packages or using DishMOVER)

What does adding/subtracting premiums have to do with any programming package? (AT100/250/HD/etc.) You can do this at will.

Source, or more details, please.

If the little birdie is correct, just sounds like a way to get as many subs off of Absolute as quickly as possible. If true, this would not endear E* to even more subs. If true, bad move...

Well I did it and just switched to HD Absolute. Hopefully, we will get in on the Turbo soon so I can get my RSN. I just hope I dont miss my RSN too much.:rolleyes:

Well ain't that wonderful. I now have yet another reason to not spend another penny/month with Dish. Because adding HBO, Starz, Showtime, etc. might cause me to lose dishHD Absolute package - DUH.

The folks in what passes for a Dish marketing department must work really hard to come up with these bone headed decisions :p

Talon Dancer

Well, according to Dish Network's own webpage, you won't be able to get TurboHD as a current customer.

DISH Network -- Tools

I don't get why they would not sell TurboHD to an existing customer.

*shrug*

What are they going to do for existing customers that want to get HD? Make them stay with their standard def and pay $10 or $20 extra for HD access? I can't imagine them saying "you can't have HD" to current customers.

Robert

To sum it up DIsh turbo is not available for existing customer bec there will be no difference between all the old HD pack its just the name!:cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)