no voom for me now

shaun-ohio

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 31, 2004
ohio
i called in today to pay for my order from my visa bank check card, and the csr told me that they dont take bank cards? last week they set the account up with it np now today they tell me that they dont accept visa check cards, so how are all the subscribers going to pay there monthly bills when they start charging for the service? with charge cards? that i dont have, she told me that i should of been told that when i called in the first time? has anyone ever heard of this because they are a new company that they dont accept visa check cards? i even asked her if she could take it out of my checking account and she told me no.

like Scott said Just call them and say it is a Visa Card and give them the number. Bank Cards do work like a credit card anyway. How much are you paying for the system?

I had the same problem way back in december. They refused my payment with my debit card (visa logo) even though I gave them the visa number.I never even told them it was a debit card, just acted like it was a regular visa, which to me it is. At the time they didn't even know what the problem was, it just kept coming back as "denied". ( I had plenty of funds available believe me) So its not a concious desicion on their part, thier bank can tell that they are debit cards (just like at Wal Mart, you swipe a card and thier system knows its a debit card even though it has a visa logo on it) and is denying them for some reason. I gave them a regular visa card and it went thru fine

i did already tell her that it does have a visa logo on it i was getting the 399 deal, and it does have a visa logo on it, because its a a visa check card, i have never had a problem with it before, she came back with the answer that there system was not set up to accept visa check cards?

shaun-ohio said:
i did already tell her that it does have a visa logo on it i was getting the 399 deal, and it does have a visa logo on it, because its a a visa check card, i have never had a problem with it before, she came back with the answer that there system was not set up to accept visa check cards?

They obviously want a credit card that way they can charge you and ruin your credit history if you take the equipment and run. With a bank card a clever person could just open a bank account put the activation fee in there and never pay for programming. What you would do with the equipment besides use it for DISH is beyond me though. My receivers did not even have a Smart card- everything was programmed into the ROM I guess.

now i am confused why in the world would i want to take the equip and run? thats an understatement if i ever heard one, i have had directv here for almost 4 years now i have the funds in there, anyhow i checked my bank statement online about half an hour ago and i saw where the amt for the purchase has been taken out, today, go figure that one out? i called them back and i am now waiting on some person who takes care of those things to come back from lunch. if it doesnt go thru i will just go with my cable company because they now have hdtv and dvr's.

When a merchant asks for cash, they mean cash. When they ask for a credit card, they don't mean a debit or check card. VISA supplies both services so you need to be aware that your check card by VISA is nothing more than an ATM card from VISA that can be used in more places than a bank's ATM card. Locally, my bank tried to convert everyone to a VISA check card and so many refused due to the tremendous liability that the banks went back to offering them voluntarily. If you are not aware of the liability differences between a visa check card and a Visa credit card you should read up on it and do not trust your bank's verbal word on it. From a merchant's perspective, it's just a matter of us signing up for the service of accepting a Check/debit card along with the other cards we do. For us there is also a risk of liability as well. We are not guaranteed payment should you offer your card and there is no money in the account to cover your charge. I accept credit cards because I am protected against fraud and whether the card holder has the ability to pay his bill or not. With a VISA check card, I am at total risk just like accepting his personal check. IT is just a convenience to us both, he doesn't need to write that check and I don't need to endorse it and deposit his check. For that convenience, I take on the total risk that his account can cover the charges. In my opinion, anyone who has excellent credit and carries a check card is stupid or doesn't understand the risks he puts himself at or does, and still believes it will always be the other guy who is victimized by check card number theft. Those who have no other choice because they don't have good enough credit to get a credit card go for the VISA check or debit card, but need to understand there is a huge difference and that his check card does not carry all the rights, protections, and usage as does a real credit card. There has been a bill before congress for a long time now to increase the protection of liability for consumers in the misuse of a check or debit card. Unfortunately, I have not heard any similar legislation that protects merchants as well. For Merchants, we have costly insurance we can opt to buy.

nope i do not have a limit on my visa check card, i bought a laptop and my hdtv at best buy with no problems all in the same day, i dont want no credit cards, who wants to pay all that high interest, so i hope that all the subscribers that voom has, pay there monthly bills with there credit cards, because thats all they will take, they wont even take a personal check, and my credit is excellent, anyhow enough said, im keeping directv total choice plus, and getting cable tv back with high def channels and a dual tuner dvr.

Get a creditcard so that you will only have to pay 50$ at most if your cc number is stolen. Be reponsible don't spend what you don't have and pay off your bill each month . Who cares about interest cause it want apply to you . With a creditcard you can get cash back and also use 1 time use credit card numbers for online purchases

NEVER use a check card for any online purchases.

shaun-ohio or anyone else,

if you are going to send me an e-mail do not put the word hi, hello or something that resembles virus mail. Our spams detection software will reject these. Thanks.

There is GOOD reason they no longer accept Debit Cards (VISA/MC LOGO)

These debit cards have different rules than Major Credit cards.
A. There is no such thing as a 'preauthorization' w/a Debit card.
The charge hits as soon as you order.
B. They've had trouble with them charging again at activation, because that's when the credit card would 'hard' post.

There are more troubles w/debit cards than the two above. Trust me, if they worked like a 'Major' Credit card, VOOM would accept them in a heart beat.

They don't. There have been major difficulties with them. It was a long, hard call and in the end, Debit cards are NO longer accepted.

If you chose to be tight lipped about it and use such a card any way....then you take full responsiblity for any and all difficulties incurred because of this choice.

Don Landis said:
.......... If you are not aware of the liability differences between a visa check card and a Visa credit card you should read up on it and do not trust your bank's verbal word on it....

Thanks for the heads up Don. Although I hardly consider myself "stupid", I wasn't aware of the fact that the Federal $50 limit doesn't apply to these Debit/Check cards.

Although I have a standard credit card and use it all the time for purchasing, after reading your post, I pulled out my "ATM" card, and sure enough, it had "Check Card" imprinted on it. So I called my bank and they tried to talk me into keeping the card but limiting purchases to $100 per day or some other nonsense. But I told them that not only did I not want this stupid card, I didn't want my name showing up on some data mining company's list as owning one, and thereby implying that I needed it because of poor credit.

They agreed to cancel the card and are issuing me a new standard ATM only card in it's place. A lost ATM card is useless to anyone without knowing my private PIN number.

When used properly, a standard credit card is much better than these crippled debit cards. I can use it everywhere in amounts that far exceed my checking account balance at the time of purchase. Using on-line banking, I review my cc purchases at the beginning of the month and pay the outstanding balance with EFT transfers and never have to pay interest or write checks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts