not as sharp

lowepc

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2004
I may be getting used to HD, or the SD has gotten better. Either way I think that the image has gotten softer with Voom. On the hdnews channel the news woman does not look as sharp as she used to. The SD channels are better than they used to be, maybe thats why I don't see the night and day difference anymore. Anybody else notice this?

It seems to vary. But I agree the SD channels are looking better. The Cinema 10 just often looks DVD quality ... at times. Then I'll check, say HBO-W HD, and it'll look great. Then TMC-HD looks fair, though it may be because it's an older movie (not as good a transfer?), meanwhile, Encore-HD and Disc.-HD will look great.

But I was just noting how AMC was looking darn decent. I hope they keep up making SD as good a possible. After all, there are still plenty of those channels out there.

I understand that some of the films are transfered, but I seem to notice that the even the ones that are filmed on 1080i (discovery channel, hd news)don't look as good as the used to. This is compared to say...about a month ago. :confused:

It seems to vary. I have the Dish HD Pack so I can do a direct comparison of ESPN, Discovery & TNT and it seems the Dish image is a bit sharper overall and is more consistent in PQ. If Voom had HDNET we could really compare since HDNET is the best HD I've ever seen and every single show 24/7 is HD. It's always a breath of fresh air to tune in HDNET, regardless of what I had been watching previously.

Well I seem to be the only one thinks that the picture has gone down hill. Maybe I will have my eyes checked. I swear that the HD picture on Voom is not as good as good as it used to be. Seems fuzzy, soft and just not as good. Someone tell I'm not alone :(

I agree with you except it is nowhere near soft and fuzzy, maybe your set's going downhill? Are your OTA channels sharp?

I don't get any ota channels, but my dvds look good. I have a Sony kp46wt500 tv. It has an auto convergence button, I already tried that. Maybe the soft and fuzzy is a little much, but I swear it isn't the exceptional picture that I used to have. I'm probably just getting used to it. Thanks for the input.

i would agree on pq directvs discovery hd is a lot sharper than vooms :(

Autoconvergence buttons are typically pretty close to useless. Go over the HomeTheaterSpot.com and check out the Sony forum.

Lob

I am a beta user for my cable (small local company) HD program. The cable is sharper and more crisp than Voom. I am only able to compare ESPN, HBO and Discovery.

I am brand new to Voom, just installed yesterday. Previous I was using a Sammy SIR T-165 STB for my over the air digitals. I immedaitely noticed that the picture on same digital local channels with the Motorola are not as crisp or eye snatching. I was going to put my STB up on EBAY once I had VOOM, but now I think I will hold onto it for awhile. It is currently not connected.

vurbano said:
There is no difference in OTA PQ quality.

The signal from the station I agree. but the two boxes don't translate the picture the same way. I will have to try to re-calibrate my DLP for the DSR550

There is very much a difference as has been noted in other posts. I have been in broadcasting for 30 years and have been in many post production houses and know a calibrated set from one that needs attention. I can see a difference. I believe it is in the STB or the DSR 550 does some other things to the signal before it is sent to the TV. I am using DVI all the way. Same cable as before and same Sammy DLP

vurbano wrote:
> the two boxes both have tuners and mpeg2 decoders. There is no difference <

Huh? If a box has a tuner and an MPEG2 decoder, it's automatically the same PQ as any other box out there? That makes no sense at all. There are differences in tuner quality, decoder quality, as well as output circuitry quality. These all affect the end result.

- Tim

lowepc said:
Well I seem to be the only one thinks that the picture has gone down hill. Maybe I will have my eyes checked. I swear that the HD picture on Voom is not as good as good as it used to be. Seems fuzzy, soft and just not as good. Someone tell I'm not alone :(

No my friend you are not alone, I have DirectvHD and Voom I compared both and the Directv picture on HD is better

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)