not too happy with Sirius

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sammyday

Original poster
Jun 12, 2005
I just purchased the Kenwood receiver for Sirius (the 7000S). I hooked it up to my surround sound system (I have a really great system, Rotel processor with B&W speakers). I activated the service. And the first thing I noticed was sound quality. It wasn't as good as regular radio. I am here in NYC and Krock comes in sounding so much better. I hooked up the Kenwood receiver using a Monster Optical digital cable, which sounds better than the rca hookup. But there is a real sound quality difference between broadcast radio and satellite. And broadcast sounds much better. Did anyone notice this. The one reason I got Satellite was to improve on the sound quality. I also noticed that there was no new age/relaxation music. That seemed odd being that directTV and Time warner cable both have a new age channel. I did notice that the sound quality of Sirius is better than the cable TV dedicated music stations, but not by much. I am contemplating cancelling my subscription and returning the unit. I just would like some feedback on what other people thought of the service. I also just want to add that I am listening on a very high end system, and unfortunately, I find that I can hear when a CD wasn't recorded well wheras on a cheaper system that same CD sounds good, so I don't know if you are playing Sirius on a few hundred dollar system if you can hear much of a difference. I am just mad b/c for all of the money I paid I should be getting better quality not inferior. What is everyone's thoughts???

Although I do not expect better than CD quality sound, I have absolutely none of the quality issues you describe, and my portable Sirius is still hooked up via RCA. You can read my signature for the equipment listing.

Are you in NY? Have you tried listening to krock and switching back to Sirius. The quality is noticeably different. Could it be that my $300 Kenwood receiver just doesn't sound that good?

>>I just would like some feedback on what other people thought of the service

neither of the Sat Radio services are audiophile quality and were never intended
to be, all of the people I know that have much at all invested in their sound system
try something out before they buy it

the main selling point of Sat radio is commercial free and the abilty to listen while
mobile

it is not so important what other people think, it is what you think that matters.

to me it is worth it not to have to listen to commercials plus having a broader
choice of music

good luck whicever way you go
..Dale

I did read an interview with someone at Sirius (I think he was a technical VP, but I don't have the article in front of me, and I'm too lazy to search for it). Basically, the VP said they are focusing on content and not audiophile quality. My own tests have shown that the music channels are badwidth limited at 13KHz, and the talk channels at 8KHz.

Just because it's digital doesn't mean it's better.

pdkrocul said:
I did read an interview with someone at Sirius (I think he was a technical VP, but I don't have the article in front of me, and I'm too lazy to search for it). Basically, the VP said they are focusing on content and not audiophile quality. My own tests have shown that the music channels are badwidth limited at 13KHz, and the talk channels at 8KHz.

Just because it's digital doesn't mean it's better.

It's impossible to determine bandwidth bit rates. SIRIUS Uses it's own CODEC so there is no comparable technology or bit rate.

I can tell you that if you are saying that the music is at 13khz then you need to pass what you're smoking. The online streaming is at 34k and my radio on my desk sounds better than that.

sirius

Sammyday said:
getting better quality not inferior. What is everyone's thoughts???
Sammyday,
Have you considered subscribing to Dish Network?
The reason I ask is that Dish carries the Sirius music line-up and I think it sounds excellent from the receiver's optical (PCM) output. Just a thought.

You know, I almost subscribed on a whim. I wanted to have it in my home, get a feel for it and then maybe get a portable one. I have Time Warner cable and they have a bunch of music stations. They don't sound quite as good as my Sirius/kenwood connection, but it is close and I think I am going to cancel my subscription. But let me ask you all, does Sirius have a New Age/relaxation channel? I couldn't find it. If it does, I could bring it to my office and pipe it thru my speakers. Thanx for everyone's input. I appreciate it!

I tried Chill 64, but it isn't what I need. I am just returning everything (about $420 in total). And I think I am going to invest in DVD-audio. I have a bunch of discs but I am listening to it in dolby surround or dts, and it sounds great, and that isn't even taking full advantage of the dvd audio. For about $200 more than what I paid for the satellite radio equip. I can get a great Marantz DVD-audio player. I think I am going to go that route. And when I want commercial free radio, I got those Time Warner channels. If I decide to ever get back into satellite radio, it will be with XM. But I am going to wait for HD radio which should be out very soon.

fromplanetbob said:
It's impossible to determine bandwidth bit rates. SIRIUS Uses it's own CODEC so there is no comparable technology or bit rate.

I can tell you that if you are saying that the music is at 13khz then you need to pass what you're smoking. The online streaming is at 34k and my radio on my desk sounds better than that.

That is what I am saying, and I'm not smoking anything. Note that I didn't say that the bitstream is at 13kbs. What I am saying is that the bandwidth of the analog out of my Audiovox PNP1 is 13KHz; my spectrum analyzer is not detecting anything over 13KHz (8KHz for talk channels). The high frequencies aren't there, which may be what the original poster was noticing.

I think it is appalling, personally. To charge for a service, to charge for the receiver (esp those of us who spend the money to buy the higher end receiver for $200+ dollars!). And the technology is available to them. According to Formerx, thru the dish network you get a much higher quality signal. Why not send it out to all of us. It probably costs more money, and the typical user is tuning it in to FM stereo anyway. But they do make home units, they do charge a lot for them, they should definitely improve their quality. FM stereo sounds like DVD-audio compared to Sirius, and on my surround sound processor, FM is being broadcast in Dolby PL, and it sounds great - this is new for FM it used to be broadcast differently, and a couple of stations are still being broadcast the old way. Just my two cents.

Sammyday said:
Why not send it out to all of us.QUOTE]
I think it has to do with the scheme they use to send it
from the satellites to the Sirius receivers... XM has their own dual-sat system. But, from what I've read, the Sirius music channels Dish carries are not subject to that scheme-- just PCM like the Muzak channels Dish carries.
That's why we sub to XM for the car, and use our Dish receivers at home for Sirius. The sound is great.
Sorry your purchase didn't work out. I still can't believe Sirius doesn't have a dedicated New Age! They originally did (Sounscapes), then dropped it, now they put some New Age on "Horizons" half the time. L8R

I just want to say the customer service is excellent with Sirius, I just cancelled my subscription, and they waived the $15 signup fee. So you use XM in your car? I heard the music selection wasn't as good on XM, or their programming was more eclectic and not mainstream. Just what I heard, based that decision to go with Sirius over XM. And I usually do my research. A lesson well learned!

maybe it just isn't for you.....but I have been a Sirius sub for over 2 years and I could never ever drive in my car without it. I have over $700 worth of stereo equipment in my car and there isn't much diff between Sirius and a CD. It is all in how you have it hooked up!!

Let me start by saying I have returned my equipment, and Sirius wasn't for me. And I do believe if I installed it in my car, I probably would have been a lot happier. That being said, you can't deny the facts. Satellite radio is not being broadcast with a high bitrate (unless you get it thru cable/satellite tv). At the risk of sounding "hoytie toytie", $700+ worth of stereo equipment really isn't a lot of money to spend on a system. The reason why Mr. Sousa (any relation to the band leader???) doesn't hear much of a difference btw cds and his Sirius is b/c the quality of is system isn't high enough to detect the difference. I am not trying to get into the battle of "mine is better than yours", but the speakers I was listening to Sirius on (using the best Sirius receiver, mind you) cost about $12k, my surround sound processor was about $4k. I also am a professional musician and songwriter, which is why I went crazy and bought such a system - b/c I can really hear a difference. A lot of us can. For my car I have a Mark Levinson system in my Lexus and I think that is about $3k (not including the speakers). And while I haven't tried Sirius in my car I know it would dissapoint in sound quality. I would still enjoy the programming, don't get me wrong. But the question here is that you are paying $13 per month plus the cost of your units, and are getting inferior sound quality compared to the technology that is out there. I think you are getting ripped off. And as equipment (stereos) gets better and better, people will be able to hear the difference. Also, you need a surround sound processor to hear the new HD quality FM. That sounds like a CD. And if free FM radio sounds radically better than a pay Satellite service then I will just stick with it, I can always change the station during the commercials. If I am going to pay money for a service (primarily b/c it is commercial free) I would like the quality to be equivalent to free radio. Also, beware that HD radio will be fully operational by the beginning of next year, and that will only cost about $2/month. And each station will have subcategories. Like the classical station will have sub stations, one for just chamber music, one for just symphonies etc.

Check the other posts in this thread, the quality isn't really there. Of course, if you are happy with it, then c'est la vie. I just couldn't keep it, I felt I was being ripped off, but hell, that is just my opinion!

Not to be a pain but I was looking at your prices and I'm confused. I swear you said you had B&W CM speakers. If you paid 12k for CM series speakers you got robbed big time. I used to sell these speakers and thats around 6 to 9k off depending on the models for a 5 speaker system. I also used to sell Rotel and 3k is high for a processor unless you went crazy and got a RSP-1098 that would be the 3k model. If you did congrats, great processor but I would have moved to Anthem at that price. But I do agree $700 isn't that expensive for a car system.

S

I'm Happy

I have the Kenwood DT 7000S hooked up to my home theater system and am very pleased with the SQ. I am running the Kenwood and everything else through my ONKYO 800 series receiver with Klipsch's. My expectations my not be as high as yours, but the Sirius content is what I wanted and am glad to pay for it.

For front speakers I have the 803S floor standing (B&W). My rear speakers are different b/c Stereo Exchange didn't have the 800 series in stock for the rear. And the Rotel processor is the one with the separate power amp I'm not sure which one b/c I am not home. I looked at the Anthem and it was over $5k. The sound of my system is rather amazing, but I still haven't heard DVDaudio/sacd thru it, that is my next purchase!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)