Novice Needs DVR Advice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

wrj

Original poster
Nov 9, 2006
I jumping from Comcast to DirecTV with the install of service next week. The deal we signed up for includes a "free" DVR upgrade. I am a complete novice but with what little I've read, the free DVR upgrade (not sure of model but maybe R15???) will probably not be very good.

I do not have HD TV.

I have DVR with Comcast but would apprciate suggestions for other models of DVR for Directv (beyond the one I'll get for free).

What would be a good alternative DVR? I seen Tivo discussed but what model number? Also, do I have to pay an additional fee with Tivo?

Also, what other models of DVRs would do the job?
Thanks
Bill

You don't have a choice. There are only 2 current DVR models. R15 standard def and HR20 High def (neither are Tivo based). All the Tivo models haven't been made in some time (DirecTV doesn't do Tivo anymore) but you might be able to find some on e-Bay or get real luck at a Costco or something.

Your "free" upgrade would be to the R15. If you could I'd try to get the HR20 just because it has "fixed" some of the things that still aren't on the R15 plus has a lot more recording space. You don't have to have HD to use it, you could just use it for SD programming only with no problem. But if you ever get an HDTV you'd be ready to go.

I was reading that there are still Wal-mart stores here and there with old stock which might be the R10 Tivo models. I think they sell for 98 and some change. Of course they are still leased but it might be worth a try. Rumour has it that Best Buy may have a few also. It's a luck of the draw kind of thing though.

Of course that route would not be a free one like the R15 would be, but it seems you would be getting a better product from what I have heard. I am one week running on my new R15 without problems, but that doesn't mean squat since it could happen at any time really.

Does the R-15 allow you to switch channels while recording or record two shows at once? (Dual tuners?)

I have always had this option with cable but never with satellite (I have Dish currently.) I was wondering if this is a feature I could request from DirecTV.

Does the R-15 allow you to switch channels while recording or record two shows at once? (Dual tuners?)

I have always had this option with cable but never with satellite (I have Dish currently.) I was wondering if this is a feature I could request from DirecTV.

yes directv does have dual tuners, but unlike the Directivo's you can't switch between tuners on the R15.

If you're in a city covered by CraigsList give 'em a try. I got a nice Hughes 40hr DirecTivo for $35 a year back. Works just fine and it's the TiVo interface, can't be beat. Search for Directv tivo and or R10. www.craigslist.org

Right, the R15 has dual tuners but not dual buffers.

We have 3 R15s and have had no real issues with them.

I hate my R15's I don't use them for my main dvr, I use my directivo.

• 1. more reliable
    2. dual buffers
    3. doesn't crash
    4. records shows that it's suppose to.

If you find an HR10-250, I would suggest that you un-plug the phone line as soon as the installer leaves.

It works fine with the 3.1.5f software that should be originally installed on it, but the 6.3a software that D* is installing on all of them has many problems.

I had so many problems after 6.3a was installed on my box (audio drop-outs, freezes during play-back of recorded programs) that i purchased the InstantCake software from weaknees.com and restored my box to the 3.1.5f software.

By the way the InstantCake software also allows you to install a larger hard disk in the HR10-250 so you can record more shows.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)