Now it is time to write DISH Again.

gutter

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 26, 2004
Not that it will change their mind but I wrote my long email to dish quality (DishQuality@echostar.com ) regarding the continued plan for HDLITE and the MPEG4 but really MPEG2 magic show we learned about in the last few days. It is time to flood the email channels at DISH ....NOW!:hungry:

I thought I heard them say on CC last night that they were going to
broadcast the new channels in the 1080 format.....

netminder32 said:
I thought I heard them say on CC last night that they were going to
broadcast the new channels in the 1080 format.....

That is correct but 1280 X 1080I not 1920 X 1080i. A 1/3 less picture information. In short, Less filling HD. That is what we are all pissed about.:(

We have to write and flood them now. We can't just let Scott fight our battles for us. We have to be clear and fight our own battles with every breath we take of HDLITE they shove down the pike. Tell them you want quality not quantity.

Last edited:
I reported what I found out at CES unfortunately a lot of it was not good news. I also talked with many at Dish about this and they told me I was preaching to the chior and that they understood.

While I reported these things as much as I wish I could, I couldn't snap my fingers, yell jump or scream to make them change what they are doing.

This is where you guys have the power.

email ceo@echostar.com

Sean Mota said:
Let the campaign start... I will again compose mine today..

I always new that we could count on you Sean. you have been very consistant and always a leader in this battle. You educated me.

Get your message deliver

To Whom It May Concern:

I am a current Dish Network Customer. I have been with your company for a long time and have always enjoyed the programming that you provide. I want to express my opinion about the decision of having the VOOM HD channels or any channel that transmit naively at 1920x1080i downgraded to 1280x1080i (HD Lite).

If Dish Network wants to be the HD Leader, Dish Network needs to addres this issue. As a customer who spent lots of money on my High Definition Theater, I do not want downgraded resolution on my HD channels (HD Lite). Dish Network should really consider putting back all the current and future Voom HD channels at 1920x1080i. Dish Network will not be only the HD Leader in quantiy but also in quality of HD programming.

We all applaude you for taking the leadership in High Definition channels but we do not want less quality on them.

Sincerely,

Sean Mota

i agree

also we should list our upgrade plans

really undecided , which one to get ... comcast or fios ......hmmm

but then again you said most people don't care

300.000 of the people that care (5%) SAID 38 MILLION MONTHLY

i go first -128.00 monthly

you made my neighbor happy getting rid of the dish farm 61.5, superdish, dish1000

i was thinking of using them ...as birdbaths ..

a dish customer for 9 years

Sean Mota said:
To Whom It May Concern:

I am a current Dish Network Customer. I have been with your company for a long time and have always enjoyed the programming that you provide. I want to express my opinion about the decision of having the VOOM HD channels or any channel that transmit natively at 1920x1080i downgraded to 1280x1080i (HD Lite).

If Dish Network wants to be the HD Leader, Dish Network needs to address this issue. As a customer who spent lots of money on my High Definition Theater, I do not want downgraded resolution on my HD channels (HD Lite). Dish Network should really consider putting back all the current and future Voom HD channels at 1920x1080i. Dish Network will not only be the HD Leader in quantity but also in quality of HD programming.

We all applaud you for taking the leadership in High Definition channels but we do not want less quality on them.

Sincerely,

Sean Mota
Not criticizing you, Sean, just want you to make a good impression with your email to Dish. :)

I repeat my same old broken record story.

Why does dish downrez now when it's not even necessary? What they are doing is not saving any bandwidth!!! The voom channels are still 3 per TP but at 1280 instead. On 110 dish as 3 per tp but at 1920 and both sets the 1280 and the 1920 have roughly the same bitrate! So dish I ask why are you doing this, are you flipping morons?

BFG said:
I repeat my same old broken record story.
Why does dish downrez now when it's not even necessary? What they are doing is not saving any bandwidth!!! The voom channels are still 3 per TP but at 1280 instead. On 110 dish as 3 per tp but at 1920 and both sets the 1280 and the 1920 have roughly the same bitrate! So dish I ask why are you doing this, are you flipping morons?
So they can put up 5 more VOOM channels without using any more TP's?

that wasn't my argument.

Adding 5 more voom channels cost them 1 more TP. because they put 3 HD channels on a new TP and added 2 other hd channels to the voom tps that only had 2 hd channels on them.

My argument is that they can do 3voom HD channels at 1920 on a TP channel. My reason for that is because they have HBO, HDPPV, and TNT HD at 1920 on 1 TP

Scott Greczkowski said:
This is where you guys have the power.

email ceo@echostar.com
done
To: ceo@echostar.com
Subject: 1280 by 1080i is NOT High Definition
Date: Jan 10, 2006 12:13 PM
The standards for high definition are set and rumors are that the plans are to send
the new HD channels in a resolution lower than these HD standards/definitions.

FCC 01-22 released January 23, 2001, FIRST REPORT AND ORDER AND FURTHER NOTICE
OF PROPOSED RULE RULEMAKING, paragraph 71 (and footnote 204).
http://ftp.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Cable/Orders/2001/fcc01022.pdf

States the definition of HD:
The Executive Committee of the Advanced Television Systems Committee has approved
for release the following statement regarding the identification of the HDTV and
SDTV transmission formats within the ATSC Digital Television Standard: "There
are six video formats in the ATSC DTV standard which are High Definition. They are
the 1080 line by 1920 pixel formats at all picture rates (24, 30 and 60 pictures
per second), and the 720 line by 1280 pixel formats at these same picture rates.
All of these formats have a 16:9 aspect ratio."

Regardless if the source is providing a reduced resolution or Dish Network provides
the down-conversion, in the end this is not high definition and should not be marketed
as such. In fact, doing so is a breach of contract for the HD pak or DishHD service
since Dish Network is not delivering on the agreement.

-[My Name Here]
A Dish Network customer

Thanks for the form letter

Thanks for the form letter examples, both well stated. I am going to send off something today. In fact, I am going to add a threat to copy the email on to the Washington Post unless they address the situation.
Liberal papers like my hometown Post LOVE to embarrass big corporations. They live for it. :hungry:

Let's hear from the rest of you. It is not enough to express your displeasure on this site or "Let Scott Do it." Pound out your own email to DISH and make yourself heard. Even if they don't read them all they will know from the title of your email what you are writing about. Time to speak up for yourself. Good idea that gvilledish has to forward to local papers and trade journals. That got a lot of attention in VOOM's phase one closure/ not closing last February. We can do it again. Force DISH to provide an answer or give amunition to the competition to use against DISH. Either one works in my book.

Scott can'do a lot but he can't do it all. Besides it sounds like Charlie really takes note when he gets a lot of emails. He said so in the chat last night. It bothers him. I can't think of a better reason to write.

Last edited:
Dish can easily do 3 HD per transponder, by mixing HD Movie channels and 720p with 2 1920x1080i HDTV video, 720p and HD Movie channels(with telecine flags) use less bandwidth

It's not ideal though, but does work decent

I agree with BFG 100%, this just makes no sense

I fired off another email

-Gary

spindoctor said:
i agree
also we should list our upgrade plans
really undecided , which one to get ... comcast or fios ......hmmm
but then again you said most people don't care
300.000 of the people that care (5%) SAID 38 MILLION MONTHLY
i go first -128.00 monthly
you made my neighbor happy getting rid of the dish farm 61.5, superdish, dish1000
i was thinking of using them ...as birdbaths ..
a dish customer for 9 years
Birdbaths!!!!!!!!! That’s good :D

I totally agree on the HD-Lite but my biggest bi%&h is the choice of channels.While I personally do not want any of the Voom channels,I do want ESPN2HD and UHD.If they added those to the original HD Pack and maybe charged another $5 onto the existing price I would gladly pay that.It seems however that E* knows that those are probably the 2 MOST asked for/demanded hd channels and they are holding everyone hostage,either get`em all or no can do for ESPN2 or UHD.Plus all of the upgrading and swapping out equipment on top of the HD-Lite that is being pushed though.I like Dish Network and really have enjoyed there service the last few years but I am very much considering switching over to D*,I`m sure some of there HD-Programming is not always shown in full rez,but they have the hd pack that interests me.Like I said this is my personnel choice as I`m sure with many of you all have a different programming package that interests you,thats my take on all of this "NEW STUFF" for lack of better words E* is now promoting. Plus I too will be e-mailing Echo star as soon as I post this reply.

PS: Scott thanks once again for all your hard work/effort and time you put into all of this just to keep us all informed as to what big plans E* had in store for all of us.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)