Nutty Weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.
......This lack of winter-like weather has been devastating to the outdoor recreation industry. Jobs and homes lost, business failing, bankruptcy, loan defaults. It's terrible........
And well I know living in a State the depends on the snow for Winter activities. Almost each week on the news another Winter sport has been cancelled because of the lack of snow. But when it comes to jobs, businesses, loan defaults, etc., I think you need to look a the rich bastards in Washington that screwed up the Country for the cause of so many of our problems. They still have money and I'm broke!:mad:

And well I know living in a State the depends on the snow for Winter activities. Almost each week on the news another Winter sport has been cancelled because of the lack of snow. But when it comes to jobs, businesses, loan defaults, etc., I think you need to look a the rich bastards in Washington that screwed up the Country for the cause of so many of our problems. They still have money and I'm broke!:mad:

RT-Cat

Not sure, but maybe you'll get some of the snow that dumped all over Colorado and Nebraska / Iowa over the weekend. Not sure whish direction it's heading or if it has lost its power, but we got right at a foot where I am. If the weather hadn't been so warm, the rain we got first would have made it closer to two feet. Monday it was 70° and by Saturday we had a foot of snow.

RADAR

RT-Cat

Not sure, but maybe you'll get some of the snow that dumped all over Colorado and Nebraska / Iowa over the weekend. Not sure whish direction it's heading or if it has lost its power, but we got right at a foot where I am. If the weather hadn't been so warm, the rain we got first would have made it closer to two feet. Monday it was 70° and by Saturday we had a foot of snow.

RADAR
Which ever way you want to look at it, good or bad, we had a high pressure over Michigan and gave us a nice clear sky Saturday and pushed the storm South of us. Snow on last forcast I saw was to be here Thursday or Friday.
70 degrees and then a foot of snow. :eek: That's nuts and sure would mess up the fruit farms here.

RT.

Cool front coming through here, bringing temps back to seasonal (50s highs, 40s lows)...

I think Dee might be opening her windows tomorrow morning ;) ...

Cool front coming through here, bringing temps back to seasonal (50s highs, 40s lows)...I think Dee might be opening her windows tomorrow morning ;) ...

The temperature is good but it's still flooded outside. We had days of rain and the ground is saturated and my yard is a lake. It will take days to dry up.The humidity is waaaay up there and the mosquitoes are brutal. It will be a few days before I open the house up, I need the yard to dry up a bunch and a few days of cool weather should slow the skeeters down a bit.At least I don't have to run either the heater or the air conditioner for the rest of the week.

This was my yard on Saturday, yesterday it was even deeper, by at least another 6 inches.
Today it's down some but it's still way too wet to walk around out there without rain boots on, which I don't own. :(

It's going to take the rest of the week to dry out, I figure at least Thursday or Friday before I can walk out to my dishes.
And I really want to get out there and start working on converting two of them to Dish Network. :cool:

Last edited:
Reminds me of how my yard used to look when we had to big rains. Had to start filling dirt in those low spots.

My yard does the same thing after a period of heavy rains.

Unfortunately, it looks like the cool, dry weather is not going to last. There's already a ring around the moon, which means high humidity. Temps are going back into the 60s, so 70s can't be too far off. Might have to start looking forward to October...

That is a mess, Dee.
Jet stream will dip to South. 15 to 18 degrees Friday & Saturday. (at least that is the weather guess.)
Thank goodness for my "beach sand". Sucks up the rain like a sponge.
Snow is almost all gone in front yard. Only part left is where house shades it from the sun.

Meow.

FINALLY

Old Man Winter decided to let Oklahoma have a couple of days of winter. Going down to 11 with windchill around 4 tonight. Even a chance of snow Sunday evening into Monday. We've only had a half inch this season. The weathermen are giddy, already planning to go on air early Monday morning in case it affects the morning drives for folks. But then back to mid 50's to 60 by Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Michigan under big warnings tonight and for Wednesday. Snow, Ice, Rain, mess. Weather service says 1/4 to 1/2 in of ice is possible. That takes down many power lines. May have to get some of the junk off the generator and fire it up. Hope not. Time will tell. Nothing here yet.

Ever since I put up C-Band dishes we have had record winds. Last saturday we had a storm with 60mph gusts. My big dish is on the east side of the house. Directley across on the west side are two big pines. I expect these trees to buffer the wind which predominantly blows from the west and help protect my dish. The wind tore up one of those trees last weekend. The dishes survived :)
branch 007.JPGbranch 002.JPG

It has become quite blustery here this morning (since about midnight). West wind 30 mph gusting to 50 mph. That's the readings from Fremont which is a few miles to the SW of me. It seems worse up here as I am atop a hill out in the country. But, I don't have an anemometer to verify the actual wind speed here.

It is pretty loud and sometimes I cannot tell if I am hearing thunder outside or just the noise from the wind. Dang near ripped my front door off a little while ago. Scared the heck out of me, but I was relieved to not hear the sound of breaking glass. Broke the door latch, though and I see a few broken tree limbs in the yard (just small ones).

I am getting an occasional "blip" in my satellite audio/video, but it is doing pretty good.

RADAR

We had 60-70 mph winds here last night, as the rain and storm fronts passed thru, that produced the tornados that hit Branson last night. I saw the weathermen predicting snow and ice behind the front for the northern states. We are on our way up into the 70's again today and supposed to hit 80 tomorrow. I gave up on winter last week and cleaned and mulched the flower beds. We are still hitting the 30's at night.

Last weekend we had some really strong winds come through, I don't know what they were up to but it gusted high enough to lift the roof of my house.
There is a post on my front porch that I guess is decorative and not structural (because the porch didn't collapse) and when the wind lifted the roof the post fell out.
It was wedged in pretty securely because I had to bash it back into place with my Home Security Device (baseball bat) and it took about 20 whacks to get it back into place.

The last time that happened was when hurricane Rita stripped the roof bare off my house. :eek:

My 10' dish was off target as well, I had to realign it but it wasn't a big deal. The porch post was a bigger problem for me than the dish was.

......The wind tore up one of those trees last weekend. The dishes survived :)
View attachment 74653
Way to go MS! A quality installation more powerful than big trees!
Happy it did not hit your dish.
So far the bad part of the storm here was rain. snow up north. Never got the ice here-GOOD.
Wrap around of the low may bring some snow here tonight. Oh, well, winter had to show up sometime...
Sad storm stories in the South.
RT.

Scanning a few birds this afternoon and picking up many newsfeeds regarding the storms.

F4 tornado hit Harrisburg, IL.
Big tornado hit Branson, MO.
State of disaster declared for KS.
Six counties with major damages in KY.
Big snows and more tornadoes.

Looks like predictions for this spring that I heard a couple months ago are proving correct.
This is going to be a violent and unsettled spring season.

RADAR

Here we go again with the wind here in Iowa at 30 MPH and gusting to 70 MPH and wouldn't you know it my spare 10 foot Winegard that I got last year is about 30 feet from where it was and upside down.

Last edited:
Friday is going to be just as bad if not worse than it was today (Wednesday) when the next storm system dives in.

Friday there were 2 supercells in KY that spawned several tornadoes just 20 miles south of here. Some people died in Kenton County (the next county over from mine) in Piner and Crittenden KY. Overall some towns were nearly wiped out or are essentially gone like Henryville and Marysville IN, as well as Moscow Ohio.

The local TV weather people said that it was a fast moving tornado 84 miles an hour (from point a to point b), and it occurred in 60 degree weather, and was on the ground for many miles. These kind of tornadoes are usually seen in Kansas or Oklahoma. Softball size hail hit Owenton KY.

Some debris (a cancelled check) from the Henryville IN tornado landed in Boone County KY (some 100 miles away!) .This area does not normally have these type of tornadoes. If the tornadoes just tracked 25 miles North, downtown Cincinnati would have got hit and the death toll much much higher.

http://media2.wcpo.com//photo/2012/03/02/Henryville_canceled_check_20120302174927_640_480.JPG

Cancelled check from Henryville IN found in Boone County KY 100 miles away...

1982 --- I don't have cancelled checks from 10 years ago let alone 30 years ago.

Those types blow thru here every year. Part of living in Tornado Alley. There isn't much you can do when tornadoes that strong form, take cover and wait for it to blow thru. I've been thru 3 in my life. They are really unpredictable, you never know when one is going to veer in your direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)