October 1st, only a month away...

Dvlos

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 5, 2004
Now is Voom going to announce what it's plans are for the new satellite. Inquires to the Voom callcenter and Installs Inc. they both say the new elliptical dish is in "experimental" stage. Not sure what that means, it's a piece of metal, it either catches signals or it doesnt.. but whatever.

I hope Voom understands that even if things aren't "finished" yet that posting new articles or information for us, makes us feel more part of the "family", so to speak. It would be nice if Voom made an announcement stating that in the next weeks, starting with the oldest subscriber, to the newest, they would be upgrading to the new dish and have access to X amount of new channels, or something. Once all their subs get upgraded... up the bandwidth to 15-17 mbps per HD channel, and get to work on WM9. What do you guys think? :yes

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Excellent thread! Here is my 2 cents...

According to Amendment 1 of their SEC Form 10 Filing, VOOM states they plan to implement MPEG-4/WM9 for SD during 1st Quarter 2005 and HD during 4th Quarter 2005. I would assume the "Big Dish" upgrades will take place this October - December.

Ok, so what about the new DVR, MPEG-4/WM9 modules, and how is VOOM going to use the new TPs? There are lots of moving pieces and parts and we don't hear anyone from VOOM tipping their hand! It's a good thing there are so few subscribers at this time...however, they need to ramp up the marketing campaign during the holiday season.

So what is VOOM going to do? Are they going to implement the "Big Dish" during 4th quarter? What about the new TPs they are leasing? Hmmm. Are they going to start loading the new TPs with MPEG-4/WM9 and mirror the SD channels while everyone is being upgraded to the bigger dish? Are they going to mail the new MPEG-4/WM9 modules directly to the subs?

VOOM will be in a serious hurt-lock if they don't start taking orders for the DVR this fall...and deliver them during the 1st week of Jan.

????????????????????

The Stone Man

Centennial, Colorado
Supporting Founder
Feb 15, 2004
Centennial, Colorado
The lack of a DVR is a big deal, especially since "the other two" are already offering them. I was in one of the local SoundTrack stores, and was told that inventory on the D* HD/Tivo receiver was -110 (a backlog of 110), and that receiver retails for $999.

Both of the above posters are right on the money. Personally, I would buy the DVR and commit to a year (same as D*) as long as the price was under 1K. If you have the VaVaVoom package, and even if you throw out the Voom exclusives, there is still more HD here than the other two are providing. Another big factor is adding channels. If Voom could swing HDnet, HDmovies, or somehow get the INHD's--subscribers would think about switching to Voom when their contracts end with one of the other providers.

Dvlos

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 5, 2004
I agree, I think Voom should and needs to change their marketing strategy as follows:

Option 1:
No Contract Option:

$200 Installation, $75 de-installation if you quit.

1 Year Commitment:
$50 Installation, $150 early termination fee.

2 Year Commitment
$0 Installation and receive $10 off your total bill, $150 early termination fee.

2 year rent-to-own Plan:
$200 Installaion get's applied to the purchase of your STBs (maximum 3) at the end of the first year. Bills have an added $10 charge that goes towards the purchase of your STBs.

I don't know what you guys think, but I feel those 4 pricing plans are extremely competitive for Voom, aside from buying all the gear up front. Subsequently when the DVR option comes out, having a lease, buy, or rent to own, plan with 1-2 year commitments would make it a lot easier on people with a wide-range of budgets (not you Sean Mota, heh) to acquire a DVR. It would also make it more attractive to lease a DVR to check it out, without having to fork $1k to get it and not like it.

As far as the dish size and WM9, I also think that once Voom gets the 2nd bird up and running, and they increase the b/w to their HD channels, I think it would be a great time, as riffjim4069 said, rev up a good marketing campaign and compare Voom to other providers side by side.

With the extra TP space, Rainbow might also consider making IFC/WE/AMC HD channels, and offer them in HD only on Voom. I think WE in HD would make such a big splash, female consumer spending is a big force. You get women involved and talking about HD and in no time aboriginal indians on isolated Pacific islands will know what HD is and be able to list you the specs.

jimmykce1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 5, 2004
I heard from Voom that they are beginning to install the elliptical dishes in Flordia and Ohio now. As all of you know we cannot believe everything a CSR tell us. So anyone in FL or OH can tell us if you have been contacted by Voom for this "new" dish?

Sindonesia

May 3, 2004
jimmykce1 said:
I heard from Voom that they are beginning to install the elliptical dishes in Flordia and Ohio now. As all of you know we cannot believe everything a CSR tell us. So anyone in FL or OH can tell us if you have been contacted by Voom for this "new" dish?
I live in Florida....do I need to call them to get the new dish or will they call me?

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
While additional bandwidth for the HD channels is wanted by all, this bandwidth can only be achieved be removing SD channels or encoding them using MPEG-4/WM9 on Rainbow-1.

A likely avenue of approach would be to load the leased TPs with MPEG-4/WM9 encoders and start moving over SD channels. Of course, in order for someone to receive the new encoding format, ALL subscribers must have a MPEG-4/WM9 module installed along with the "Big Dish". I don't see the HD channels moving over to the new TPs since there is little to gain by moving them over at this time. Plus, until ALL subscribers have been fully upgraded, it appears to me that VOOM will have to maintain two SD channels: one (1) MPEG-2 flavor for non-upgraded customers and one (1) MPEG-4/WM9 flavor for upgraded customers.

October - December: the new "Big Dish" could be installed, new TPs configured and tested, new TPs loaded to mirror existing SD lineup, and new MPEG-4/WM9 modules be installed in existing STBs. Also, new SD channels (Sci-Fi, HGTV, Lifetime, etc.) will be loaded on the new TPs.

January - March: all SD channels will be migrated off Rainbow-1, additional bandwidth added to HD channels (17.5Mb would be sweet!) and new HD channels loaded (Wealth-TV, INHD1, INHD2, AMC-HD, IFC-HD, WE-HD). The SD versions of AMC, IFC and WE will be removed.

I view the DVR issue as being totally independent of the above actions. Ok, I certainly understand VOOM's desire to maintain their industry trade secrets...however, their silence in right on par with D* and E* and it's driving me a little crazy! Personally, I don't know why VOOM doensn't tell us, step-by-step, what they are going to do in the Inner Circle newletter now that they have secured public sector financing.

Dvlos

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 5, 2004
I agree, D* and E* don't post information so that they don't have 12 million people calling up going where's Bravo HD when it doesn't happen. However Voom is different, and with their lower number of subs right now, I'd like to know at least "whats the plan"? Moving the SD over to the new Sat. seems more logical now that you mention it. However if need be they could still use the new TPs on the Sat. for HD. If I recall, the new leases in October doubles the channel capacity Voom has now, coupled with WM9 it could be triple (probably going off Voom's current lower standards for HD b/w though). While WM9 probably will not happen THIS year (which I hope Voom opts for WM9 get a nice partnership going with Microsoft), the new leases will. If they get the dishes done, the SD's moved over, couldn't they increase the HD b/w now to 17.5 mps, and still have space for HDNETs (a long shot) or InHD (a closer still hard to reach spot IMO) and WealthTV? I heard a good equation for HD is 5 SD channels = 1 Good HD channel in terms of b/w used. Voom has what 50 cable favorites meaning potentially 10 more HD channels off Rainbow 1 if the SD's were moved off?

EDIT: I'm waiting for a 24" dish upgrade, I'd much rather have the new dish, I could take pictures of it with my 5mp camera and post it here, heh, any confirmation that Voom is starting in Florida.. and I'll call Installs, Inc. today.

DarrellP

I Think, therefore, I am.
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
Salem, OR
So we have to wait one more frickin year to get some decent HD on Voom? CRAP! I'd rather see them upgrade the HD before the SD.

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
DarrellP said:
So we have to wait one more frickin year to get some decent HD on Voom? CRAP! I'd rather see them upgrade the HD before the SD.
If you're talking about additional bandwidth for HD channels, VOOM has had all summer to formulate a plan of action for the new TPs...we should see an improvement for HD channels starting in January. If not...well, it's gonna get ugly on this forum come Feb 1st.

However, if you're talking about the HDNETs...Cuban replied to my e-mail request by stating I should maintain my Adelphia Cable subscription. :confused:

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
Dvlos said:
If they get the dishes done, the SD's moved over, couldn't they increase the HD b/w now to 17.5 mps, and still have space for HDNETs (a long shot) or InHD (a closer still hard to reach spot IMO) and WealthTV?
I imagine it's possible to move over the SD channels and increase HD bandwidth starting 1 Oct. In fact, it is possible they may be loading and testing the leased TPs as we speak. The only problem is the "Big Dish" needs to be in place to pick up programming from both Sats. In that case, you may as well have Installs Inc. install the new MPEG-4/WM9 module while they're on a service call to replace the dish.

Does anyone know the status of the Motorola MPEG-4/WM9 module? Does this thing exist? Are they in production? Has Installs Inc. employees been notified? Perhaps the Motorola Engineer would bring us up to speed!

Does anyone know the status of the 30" dish? Can anyone from Installs Inc. confirm their existence and installation plan?

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
Latest scoop on bigger dish and STB module

According to my source, "It isn't clear whether every VOOM customer will get a bigger dish. The reason they are moving to the bigger dish is because they have a second satellite location at 72 degrees. The bigger dish would pick up both satellites. They may put niche programming on the second satellite that only some would want.

I haven't heard of a plan to upgrade the module yet."

In a nutshell, even the folks closely involved with coordinating the installation process haven't been advised of VOOMs Plan-Of-Action (POA). With only 35k subs (est.), it's nothing to worry about...just as long as they do indeed have a POA! :confused:

The latest scoop is no scoop at all.

Does anyone know how both Sats are going to be configured?

Dvlos

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 5, 2004
Leaving the 2nd Satellite out there for niche programming for the niche satellite service sounds to me like a:

BIG MISTAKE

According to the press release, adding a 2nd Sat and going to Wm9 gave VOom the ability to host 90 HD channels.

However: If Voom's plan is to milk it's 35k subs for more money, so that 35k subs = 1.5 million sub. dollars.. they will fall flat on their faces. They have some $$$ now... their Plan of Action has to be:

- Increase HD to stay ahead of anything D* is doing.

- Consider even adding network feeds in HD through the Sat. to appease the Joesixpacks.

- Employ contract options to reduce churn.

- DVR

- WM9 and/or higher BandWidth for HD.

If they want more income per month out of Voom they need more regular subs, which usually are the people that want the most out of their basic service. You lay groundwork with them, then worry about developing some nice niche services AFTER you have 3-4 million subs. Show the average Joe a sign that says:

"50 HD CHANNELS INCLUDING MAJOR NETWORKS, NO MONEY DOWN, FREE INSTALLATION WITH 2 YEAR COMMITMENT ONLY $49.99!!!"

And you'll have them lining up, and they can't leave for a while either. Heh.

Dvlos

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 5, 2004
riffjim4069 said:
Doesn't VOOM already provide more than 1000+ HD channels? ;)

2 year commitment? Yikes! That sounds more like a marriage to me. :D

Just what you're average Joesixpack wants, marriage with lots of stuff too.

tdillon

Loster then I Founder
Supporting Founder
Jun 9, 2004
Isn't a big part of the problem of offering more HD channels is the lack of additional HD content providers? Okay, we know the HDNet and InHD channels are available if the right deal can be struck, but how many more HD channels could Voom add even if Voom had unlimited bandwidth available?

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
Well, they could easily add AMC-HD, WE-HD, IFC-HD and Fuse-HD since they own those channels....the three movies channels would be relatively easy to do since they can initially share programming with Cinema10. Sure, some of us have seen the Cinema10 movies several times, but Joe Schmoe in Cableland doesn't know that.

Also, since VOOM is part of Rainbow Media Holdings, they could elect to keep these new HD channels a VOOM Exclusive...although I doubt that would happen since these chanels generate revenue. IMO it is more realistic to negotiate favorable terms with Cable providers in exchange for INHD and INHD2. It's funny, but it seems to me that VOOM and Cable need to negotiate favorable terms in order to complete against D* and E*. VOOM could easily add these 5 or 6 new HD channels with the addition of the 13 leased TPs.

Additionally, WealthTV (HD) is ripe for the picking. Don't forget to request WealthTV be added to the basic lineup as soon as space is available.

http://www.wealthtv.net
http://voom.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/voom.cfg/php/enduser/cci/std_cont.php?page=null

Of course, I could be totally wrong...

DarrellP

I Think, therefore, I am.
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
Salem, OR
riffjim4069 said:
If you're talking about additional bandwidth for HD channels, VOOM has had all summer to formulate a plan of action for the new TPs...we should see an improvement for HD channels starting in January. If not...well, it's gonna get ugly on this forum come Feb 1st.

However, if you're talking about the HDNETs...Cuban replied to my e-mail request by stating I should maintain my Adelphia Cable subscription. :confused:
According to Amendment 1 of their SEC Form 10 Filing, VOOM states they plan to implement MPEG-4/WM9 for SD during 1st Quarter 2005 and HD during 4th Quarter 2005.
That's what I'm talking about, no improvement for HD until 4th Quarter 2005? That totally sucks. :mad: Who gives a flying F*** about the SD channels? :no

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
DarrellIP,

The additional transponders alone should allow VOOM the ability to increase bandwidth on all HD channels; migrating SD channels to MPEG-4/WM9 should further increase available bandwidth and, let's hope, further increase PQ. My local CBS station recently started multicasting a radar/weather channel. The 2Mb of bandwidth they wasted on this subchannel has, IMO, made the channel almost unwatchable. This weekends New England vs Carolina game was a prime example of how a meager 2Mb can destroy a high quality 1080i sports production!!!

If VOOM can add 2-3Mb of dedicated bandwidth to every HD by the end of the year, I'm sure we will all notice the difference. If they dedicate 17.5Mb of bandwidth after implementing MPEG-4/WM9 (Jan-Mar ?), then I am sure we will all be ecstatic!

Offhand, other than saving bandwidth I have no idea how much MPEG-4/WM9 will improve PQ by itself. The fact, "I hear it is better" and "it looks great on my PC" means little to me. The proof will be in the pudding!!!

The unknown factor (business issue) is their building redundancy into the VOOM product. Yep, at some point in the future they need to have a disaster plan should one of their satellites sh*t the bed. Hopefully, they will take full advantage of all TPs and not allocate bandwidth as though they were preparing for a meteor storm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts