Official 4DTV Conversion to W5/X4 services only infornmation post

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Which brings me to another question. What does X4 even exist - why wasn't it left as a Ku and Skyvision/SRL just use W5..?
Why is X4 just a mirror..?

Which brings me to another question. What does X4 even exist - why wasn't it left as a Ku and Skyvision/SRL just use W5..?
Why is X4 just a mirror..?

The channel numbers are different on X4. For example, VH1 Classic is on W5 Channel 804. On X4 it is channel 234. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me, but I suppose for them to have 1 set of channel numbers for the 4DTV units as well as the 410's, they did it this way.

Pardon my confusion - I understand now.
Need I say, I wish things would stay the same...
Thank You..

I'm thinking that after January 5, there won't be a whole lot of difference. In theory, the W5 and X4 channels likely both will work. We won't know until January 5 after the 4DTV stream is gone and the new world of C-Band subscription TV begins.

SRL has the 7 steps to brick posted now

The SRL website now has the 7 steps to brick posted. DO NOT DO THESE STEPS if you want to keep the 4DTV to retain all functions & maps. Hopefully soon we will be able to release the work around to the public. I think what's holding it up is we need to test our findings once the Motorola 4096 EMM is down for good. So it may be not released till after the 5th of January.

I contacted the right people and will see what they say for now. I'm waiting for a reply.

tvro pro and Davage,

Not to be a pain, but...is there a possibility of starting a separate thread (or make a "sticky" ? is that what they call it?) that has SPECIFIC instructions for each box 905, 920, 922. It is sometimes hard to follow these conversations (sometimes, us girls get distracted by shiny things!) and the discussions do tend to wander a bit. Perhaps just a thread per box (that can't be replied to) so that precise, succinct instructions can be relayed...especially for us who work all day then try to go home at night, in the dark and work on these things (dumb, huh?)

Just a suggestion, and NOT trying to upset anyone...following these conversations is fun for the most part and everyone here has lots of good advice and much more experience. Still trying to just get my 410 to work with my Drake...I think I have to hook up all the polarity wires back onto the Drake...I let the 905 "drive", which simplified the original install of the thing in 2004 (you know, shiny things!) but does lead to "lock up" when the power cycles during storms. I have never done a master reset on my 905, so it seems like what I'm reading is that even though I have paid subs through SRL 'til 1/4, I need to pull my machine off and get cracking on the 410 before xmas so I can watch Dr. Who on 12/25 on BBC America on W5...right? If not right, please....."somebody stop me!!!"

Thanks for all you do!!!
wolfgirlnw

Dear Skyvision Customer:

IT'S FINALLY OFFICIAL! Beginning January 4, 2011, 4DTV owners will be able to reset their existing receivers and receive channels on one satellite (W5 at 105 West). Customers with a DSR-920 or DSR-922 4DTV Receiver will be able to access these subscription channels by following the attached instructions.

If you have a separate Free-To-Air receiver, or would like to retain access to other satellites, please skip steps 3, 4 and 5 of the 7 step process. Note: If you choose to skip steps 3, 4 and 5 it will disable the programming guide on your receiver. However, if you follow steps 3, 4 and 5 you will only be able to access channels on W5. If you have any questions regarding the process and why it is necessary to complete to continue receiving subscription programming, please visit Skyvision's website at Skyvision Satellite Equipment or contact the technical support department at (800) 500-9275.
Please understand that due to the scope of these changes we expect to be very busy and we will not always be able to provide the level of service you are used to receiving from the Skyvision. We will do our best to get to your calls as quickly as possible and would like to thank you in advance for your patience and continued support.

The Programming Center will offer an interactive on-line feature called WEBSAMS where customers can do re-hits and order programming. You can call The Programming Center at 1-800-500-9268 to get signed up today or you can visit our website at Programming Center | 4DTV Programming to get signed up. This will be a helpful tool with the conversion process and may save time getting your programming back up and running.

Another reason to visit Skyvision's website is to find how you can receive literally hundreds of "FREE" channels. Skyvision offers a full line of equipment for Free-To-Air reception, which can greatly increase the number of channels available to your satellite system. This will supplement your subscription programming with no additional monthly fees and is completely legal.

Skyvision is committed to the large dish and your right to choose the programming that works for you. On behalf of Skyvision, we look forward to providing programming and home entertainment well into the future.

Sincerely,
Skyvision 1-800-500-9275

Here are the instructions to follow on how to get the 4DTV to work on the W5 only.

**DO NOT MAKE CHANGES PRIOR TO JANUARY 4TH, 2011.
IF YOU DO IT BEFORE THIS DATE IT WILL DISABLE YOUR RECEIVER AND YOU WILL NOT HAVE PROGRAMMING. SATELLITE RECEIVERS WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE IF YOU DO THIS BEFORE JANUARY 4TH, 2011.

1. Move your satellite dish to W5 satellite on 4DTV receiver. IT IS EVERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU ENSURE YOU ARE ON W5 FIRST.

2. Ensure the satellite receiver is on channel 216 (STYLE) and has video, or "Subscription required" message with a DCII signal lock. DO NOT MOVE THE DISH AFTER THIS STEP!

3. Do a factory reset (options 6, 7, 7, 8, 7 and confirm by pushing enter). After the lights on the front of the box go out (will take a few minutes) power it back on.

4. Do an authorization reset (options 6, 7, 7, 8, 0-this is a hidden diagnostic screen that the consumer will NOT see on their TV screen). This will remove the satellite receiver from the 4DTV SAC stream.

5. Turn the box to channel 946. You will now do a manual tune (options 6, 7, 7, 8, 1). Tune to frequency 1430.00 in the top box. Scroll down to the box below that reads tune. Push enter on tune. This will bring up a DCII light on the front of the box.

6. Call to get a rehit or send rehit via WebSAMS. If you are not set up for WebSAMS please call or visit our website to get authorized. We anticipate long wait times and with

7. Now program in the X4 satellite. Option 6, 4, 3, 3 select X4 and save. It should take about 20 minutes to get a full download.

***If you no longer use your big C-Band satellite dish or if you would prefer not receive e-mail updates please reply to this email with "Unsubscribe" in the subject line

If you have a separate Free-To-Air receiver, or would like to retain access to other satellites, please skip steps 3, 4 and 5 of the 7 step process. Note: If you choose to skip steps 3, 4 and 5 it will disable the programming guide on your receiver. However, if you follow steps 3, 4 and 5 you will only be able to access channels on W5.

I recommend everyone listen to Mike Kohl 12/15 on Sat Talk Live. And wait till everything is tested as far as the work around goes after the 4096 EMM provider is gone on 1/4. The above was tested with 4096 active. The guide will probably be lost if you follow the work around since it's a trickle guide on W5 and the 4D is set up for a mass download. If you do a authorization reset you brick the 4DTV to X4 only but allow the trickle guide to work.

The question is will the trickle guide work once the 4D guide is gone without a AR. Personally I can live without the guide as long as the 4D functions as is.

Note: If you decide to try the steps for the workaround before the final test results are in you must wait till the 4096 EMM is gone. As long as the Motorola SAC is up SRL's computer will not be authorizing on the Comcast SAC.

I posted the 4 step 4D Beta workaround now at at:
4DTV Online By TvroPro... The Official 4DTV Info Site

Last edited:
If I do a authorization reset now on W5 with my 905 can I do another one on G1 before the end of the year to revert back?

Last edited:
Ok, I already have X4 in my 4DTV but have cut off the update part of the receiver so it won't go to G1-3. I am leaving the dish parked at 99W (G4) every night.
I want to use the receiver to move the dish for my FTA. After January I want to subscribe to channels on W5.
Am I safe at this point? Can I use the 4DTV to go to satellites for FTA as long I park it on G4 when not being used?

Ok, I already have X4 in my 4DTV but have cut off the update part of the receiver so it won't go to G1-3. I am leaving the dish parked at 99W (G4) every night.
I want to use the receiver to move the dish for my FTA. After January I want to subscribe to channels on W5.
Am I safe at this point? Can I use the 4DTV to go to satellites for FTA as long I park it on G4 when not being used?

When going to other satellites for FTA with the 4DTV just be sure to leave the 4DTV receiver on and on a analog channel. Even C4 would be safe on QVC or HSN as long as the receiver is left ON. When turned off it will look for a DCII signal on the current sat.

I'm not really taking any precautions myself, I have a sub and I'm using it, but I'll be going out of town for Christmas though new years so I'll probably disconnect the main coax line for the satellite and over the air antenna anyway in case there is a storm while I'm gone.

This is goof news AFAIC!

Subscription programming - Check
Retain dish mover ability - Check
No Guide - meh! woteva!

I received the "Dear Skyvision Customer" email yesterday also. I won't be doing any of the abridged resets until after 1/5 & then perhaps only the 905 out of two 922s & one 905.

On the 21st I'll ask to transfer the remaining month of Starz package from the 905 on G1 to my 410 on W5.

Having both a GBox & a GI 450i, I could use either for a dish mover to prepare for the 26th now, thus keeping the 922s out of the stream.

If I do a authorization reset now on W5 with my 905 can I do another one on G1 before the end of the year to revert back?

Why would you want to do a AR to a functioning receiver? The AR makes your box stock like out of the box no EMM provider at all. I suggest don't mess with it. You will not get the Comcast EMM Hit even with a AR until the 5th. You don't have special access to the Comcast EMM's computer. A year ago I would say you can go one way or the other using G1 to revert. Right now I would say there are no guarantees you will need a 4096 auth to go back. I heard that the Ku generics have been removed from G1's maps already. I don't know what may be up now with the Motorola SAC beside preparing to shutdown.

Last edited:
What happens if I have to do an MR after 01/04 (for whatever reason)? I'll try to be listening to Sat Talk tonight.

What happens if I have to do an MR after 01/04 (for whatever reason)? I'll try to be listening to Sat Talk tonight.

Re-read this thread.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/4dtv-discussion/221526-channel-mapping-w5-time.html

If Motorola turns off the channel mappings which I see no reason for them to keep it up since it costs them money, you will basically have a few satellites and no generics. Going to W5 may help you get a couple more and it is possible that sitting on the anik satellites may... get you 1-2 more satellite icons but as for what is in there now and most importantly the generics will be GONE!.
The generics were added long after the 4dtv receivers came on the market.
Anything that Motorola added to the receiver in regards to DCII channel mappings will be gone.

I know this is not what many were hoping for but this is just the plain facts, like it or not, it is what it is.

Status
Please reply by conversation.