Official 4DTV Conversion to W5/X4 services only infornmation post

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I am having trouble with the X4 sat programming. I have W5 and I have X4 on my Sat page ,but on my add or change install program page there is no X4 .
I can get W5 sat and have a signal and I am tuned to W5-600. 920 reciever. Do I need a C-KU feed horn? I have a C-lnbf

Last edited:
Re-read this thread.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/4dtv-discussion/221526-channel-mapping-w5-time.html

If Motorola turns off the channel mappings which I see no reason for them to keep it up since it costs them money, you will basically have a few satellites and no generics. Going to W5 may help you get a couple more and it is possible that sitting on the anik satellites may... get you 1-2 more satellite icons but as for what is in there now and most importantly the generics will be GONE!.
The generics were added long after the 4dtv receivers came on the market.
Anything that Motorola added to the receiver in regards to DCII channel mappings will be gone.

I know this is not what many were hoping for but this is just the plain facts, like it or not, it is what it is.

Too bad they couldn't put this stuff in non-volatile memory. Oh well. I guess I'll order another Gbox just in case I can't get the 4D to go where I want it to go. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a backup mover anyway.

Too bad they couldn't put this stuff in non-volatile memory. Oh well. I guess I'll order another Gbox just in case I can't get the 4D to go where I want it to go. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a backup mover anyway.

The Digicipher is based on old technology. GI should have designed it to at least be programmable by us vs them being in control. Some day one of us are going to get inside that box and rewrite the firmware like it should be.

I listened to the Sat Talk Live show last night, and I was pleased to hear that the group at SkyVision have released their own set of steps for the Post January 4 world. The sky is not falling :)

Dec 26th shut down

I got X4 working!
So can I just park the dish on W5 and unhook the LNBF wires to be safe from the shut down on Dec 26th?

I read to be on a non digicypher channel but I would feel better just unhooking it from thr dish.
Of course I will leave the power plugged in. I have it on a UPS.

I got X4 working!
So can I just park the dish on W5 and unhook the LNBF wires to be safe from the shut down on Dec 26th?

I read to be on a non digicypher channel but I would feel better just unhooking it from thr dish.
Of course I will leave the power plugged in. I have it on a UPS.

Some say that it's too late to stop the kill. Motorola may have set a kill date some time ago (according to some sources). Essentially, it may be a time bomb with the clock already ticking. But, only Motorola knows for sure. Might as well try disconnecting your coax to your 4D on Dec. 25th just in case.

As for your UPS, I wouldn't count on it when you need it. I've gone thru a lot of UPS batteries and/or UPS units over the years. At some point, you'll lose power but the on-board battery should maintain your sat list. Of course, if the on-board battery is bad you'll lose all of the 4D's functionality if there's a power failure.

Sounds like an ol' fashion run out here.

I plan to park my dish on T-6 on Christmas eve & leave it there for a week or two. At the same time, I plan to leave the receiver off but plugged in.
I also shut automatic updates off a week ago so I don't have much of a guide right now.
X4 is programmed at the same location as W5 & sits to the left of W5 in the map menu.
I hear so many different channel numbers: mine is sitting at 4782. It won't change. I am receiving the 410 channels.
I hope this is sufficient enough to save my maps. I guess I won't know until Jan 5th. At that point, I'll resubscribe to my subscription if there is one. As of now, my current one ends on Thursday, so I might actually park my dish on T-6 a day early. There's no way I'm succumbing to the small dish yet. So with all that said, it looks like I'll be staring at the reflections in my TV this holiday season.

Plus I'm wondering how many thousands or possibly tens of thousands of people know nothing about this & will follow the 7 step process?

My sub is until Dec31 for the 4D and I'm switching to the 410 receiver before the cut off for the first month or two until the waters are safe again for my 4D boxes. Until the contracts are final with the program suppliers, I would expect a few changes. HBO and Discovery, BBC America remain questionable for now from what I've heard released.

I suggest subscribing to something to show support, without the numbers nothing will happen.

I only have one dish & one receiver. I can't remember where I seen this but an article recommended keeping your dish off any satellites that are transmitting a DCII signal until 1-05.

Plus I'm wondering how many thousands or possibly tens of thousands of people know nothing about this & will follow the 7 step process?

oops. OR... if there is a Kill Hit (paranoid?), they'll be piss'd when they finally figure it out. (Class action suit time? is it even legal to sell a product then "destroy" it?).

oops. OR... if there is a Kill Hit (paranoid?), they'll be piss'd when they finally figure it out. (Class action suit time? is it even legal to sell a product then "destroy" it?).

I think all we have is something like a software license, not ownership.

My uncle Bill Gates does that all the time with Windows!!! ;)

my sentiments exactly. how does microsoft keep charging for a product that was never finished???

I think all we have is something like a software license, not ownership.

your probly right johnny. when all the "sky is falling talk" started i scoured all the moto documentation on the 4dtv recievers. i couldnt find reference in any to an "integrated positioner". i figured it would be grounds for a class action suit if moto killed all the tiles. there just wasnt any mention of it.

it really is a wait and see situation. moto may very well be in the christmas spirit and keep an active dc2 stream with the maps alive somewhere. we just dont know.

crackt out,.

I have a couple quick questions. I've looked but don't see quite what to do for my situation. I have been traveling so much I haven't been following this as close as I should be. I have a 920 that still works fine that was previously authorized (now inactive) and the maps are a bit stale (but still have generics). I also have a 905 that was NEVER authorized (purchased new) with stale maps. I have a fixed 6' dish aimed at 99 West I can redirect to W5 but not G1 (tree). I can get the 920 onto 105 West TODAY if it helps. Can't do anything with the 905 until 12/28 or 29. Should I just wait it out? I don't want to disable the 920 from moving a dish and I'd like to keep as much flexibility as possible. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks....

I have a couple quick questions. I've looked but don't see quite what to do for my situation. I have been traveling so much I haven't been following this as close as I should be. I have a 920 that still works fine that was previously authorized (now inactive) and the maps are a bit stale (but still have generics). I also have a 905 that was NEVER authorized (purchased new) with stale maps. I have a fixed 6' dish aimed at 99 West I can redirect to W5 but not G1 (tree). I can get the 920 onto 105 West TODAY if it helps. Can't do anything with the 905 until 12/28 or 29. Should I just wait it out? I don't want to disable the 920 from moving a dish and I'd like to keep as much flexibility as possible. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks....

Read here, should answer most of your questions:

4DTV Online By TvroPro... The Official 4DTV Info Site

Thanks TvroPro. I want to subscribe in the new year but I don't want to get hit with anything from Motorola in the next couple days. Sounds like get the 920 on W5/X4 ASAP to get the tile and maps and then turn it off. As for the 905, figure it out after the 5th I guess as I can't get it online before XMAS. I really appreciate all the information you have shared and I also share in both your initial frustration in your earlier posts and now enthusiasm for going forward. Thanks!

If there is anything illegal in what Motorola is trying to do it will be a federal case which means FBI involvement. Could result in a court order freezing Motorola from doing anything until investigation is done which could be months or years.
Be interesting to see what would happen if criminal behavior is discovered on the part of the parties involved.

Well it is DEC 27 and no kill yet my sub runs until Jan 7 and will see what happens. Need the map as I park on G5 for Music choice. will not subscribe to present W5 channel line up without discovery package received on other birds. will use 4DTV for FTA viewing. Polled Motorola several months ago and was told present map would remain in receiver after shutdown. I can see this happens because that is how commercial receivers. If you have original battery may want to change it. I have 2 920 receivers and both have new batteries.
have a home made DC block splitter and LNB feeds 3 receivers and has 4 ports.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)