This is what I have...

I had Voom installed last week and it has the following version installed:

Secure Firmware Version: V16
Current Software Version: V00.01.04
HAL Version: 00.06.00
Middleware Version: 00.01.36 (was 00.01.06 yesterday i think) :confused:
Guide Version: 00.19.8E

I have the following issues with this software:

1) I can not receive my local NBC channel. The channel shows up in the guide correctly, but when tuned to it either shows the last channel viewed or shows a blank screen. I believe it has something to do with my local NBC being on digital channel 36. :mad:

1a) This is still happening.

2) I get audio drops when tuning to channels sometimes and have to change the channel and then go back to get the audio. :mad:

2a) Haven't seen today but can't be sure that it is not still happening.

3) The picture that is displayed on SD channels is shifted to the right quite a bit. The guide overlay is not shifted at all. You can also see this shift in the guide display. The picture in guide (PIG) is shifted in its space the same as the normal picture is shifted. I can not make adjustments to the TV since any changes will also affect the position of the guide which is centered perfectly. I see this on two different Voom boxes on two different TV's (Mitsubishi 65" WS rear projection, & Philips 17" WS LCD flat panel). :mad:

3a) Today the picture appears to be correctly positioned on SD channels but it is shifted slightly to the left on non HD premium channels on my Philips 17" WS LCD flat panel. Mitsubishi looks ok probably because the overscan is wider. Why can't they just get this right? Was this change due to the middleware change or did they change something in the way they are broadcasting the signal? :confused:

4) Just started seeing last night white spots on the screen. Could only make them go away by shutting off box and restarting. :mad:

4a) Haven't seen today but can't be sure that it is not still happening.

5) WB was coming in strong when I got the box with a signal strength of about 98. Now it runs from about 80-95 and gets very pixely if that is a word. May not be a software issue, but all other OTA channels are coming in strong still. :confused:

6) And on another topic, no USA channel (The 4400) and no Sci-Fi (SG1, SG Atlantis, Farscape, Battlestar Galactica, etc.) :( :(

What happens in the next month will determine if I remain a Voom customer or not.

Just my $79.90 + tax, title, and licensing charges worth,

jbcaro

I think I know how you get your update in 2 weeks now. You need to call Voom and complain that your STB is froze up and will not work. When you get the new STB in about 2 weeks for install. You will have the new software update. Will you will have a 50/50 chance on this route.

Just being sarcastic I have not tried this nor do I plan to as I may be moving soon and if so I will be cancelling Voom anyone want a Voom receiver OH Ya secondary users cant activate them. Another bright Idea by Voom.

jbcaro said:
4) Just started seeing last night white spots on the screen. Could only make them go away by shutting off box and restarting. :mad:

This does happen occasionally(twice in 3 months for me). As others posted, hit VOOM button then Watch button, that should get rid of it without rebooting.

TechCop said:
This does happen occasionally(twice in 3 months for me). As others posted, hit VOOM button then Watch button, that should get rid of it without rebooting.

Which sucks to see that it isn't fixed in the latest beta of the new software version. :confused:

jbcaro said:
3) The picture that is displayed on SD channels is shifted to the right quite a bit ... Today the picture appears to be correctly positioned on SD channels but it is shifted slightly to the left on non HD premium channels
jbcaro,
Which resolution are you using, and on which specific channel are you seeing the shift today (so we could check this on our sets)? When you see the shift, is the entire 4x3 frame shifted, or is the picture within the frame is shifted. Is it only over DVI, or Component too? Please provide some details.

Just started seeing last night white spots on the screen. Could only make them go away by shutting off box and restarting.
Next time it happens, try pressing VOOM and then WATCH. Always works for me.

Now that I think of it since he mentioned the white spot. I have to say that I have not seen that for quite some time. As for the sound thing yes it is a bit annoying but usually if I hit back button and go back to the channel everything is fine.

For me the shift only took place on SD satellite channels on DVI. OTA SD digitals were ok. On component all channels were OK. I have kept mine on component input because I can't stand the shift or the off center black borders of SD on DVI

jbcaro,
Which resolution are you using, and on which specific channel are you seeing the shift today (so we could check this on our sets)? When you see the shift, is the entire 4x3 frame shifted, or is the picture within the frame is shifted. Is it only over DVI, or Component too? Please provide some details.

I am using component input on both TV's (Mit 65" and Philip's 17" FP). The box on the Mit is set to 1080i and the Philip's box is set to native mode. It looks like the centering and overscan may need to be calibrated on the Mit. Not sure if it can be done on the Philip's (LCD panel).

What I am seeing is for my OTA channels I am getting anywhere from zero shift to a small amount of shift to the left to a lot of shift to the right for local FOX.

As for the channels above 100, every channel that is showing something in HD the picture goes from edge to edge. All channels that are showing SD content there is a picture shift to the left (use to be to the right prior to today) on the Philip's. On the Mit most pictures are ok now with the exception of ch305 which show a slight shift to the right, hence my statement above about the Mit needing to be calibrated.

I do not understand why Voom's pictures are all over the place. I had D* (SD only) and never had any picture shift issues on the Mit. I have digital cable w/HD and do not have any channels on either TV that exhibits shift.

What is the deal with this. Do I have to go back to cable to get rid of this? Local cable only has 10 HD channels so far (more later this year) but I don't have shift, white spots, audio drops, etc.

Voom needs to step it up and fix these issues that never should have made it out of the testing lab.

jbcaro

Ferdy said:
I have to presume that no one that follows this forum actually got the update over the weekend since no one has said so----

Your right. Who knows what their criteria is for distributing the software. But I still have 5.68 and at least it runs fine. :)

Called a CSR this morning to change my billing credit card. While I had her on the phone, I inquired as to the status of the firmware update. She quickly replied, "I don't know what that is." After briefly explaining my situation the CSR replied, "Oh you mean the update from 5.0 to 6.0...all boxes will be updated by the end of the year."

So there you go....the firmware update will be here by Christmas! :haha

ding ding ding ding

Does this not confirm that the only way you're getting the new software is with a box swap.

If it was just a software download, somebody in our group would have gotten it by now.

We need a new thread on how to creatively cause your box to die. Is lightning covered?

I was waiting patiently every night for the software fairy to visit my stb, thinking it was the only way I was going to be able to watch all of the OTA in my area. Over the weekend, I did not get the update BUT my OTA mapping was fixed and I am now mapped for all the channels that are broadcasting in my DMA.

Looks like Voom/Tribune/Moto is still manually fixing channel maps and not relying on an imaginary software push as the 'fix' for everyone to get their OTA mapping issues worked out. If the new software was going to be pushed anytime soon, why would they still be doing this?

Thanks to Sean for making this happen!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)