OLED, wow

Distance to screen matters. I have a 65” screen. Considering I am maybe 12’ at most from my screen, how does that compare to the small theater screens and distance from them today?
The last theater I visited had dozens of atmos ceiling speakers and a 35' wide screen. If you arrived late, you were likely to sit no more than 20' from the screen. ;)

There's no rule that says you must choose the smallest screen in town unless you're actively chasing after bad movies.

The last movie I saw in an actual theater was Harper Valley PTA in 1978. That's when our small local theater closed. Definitely not interested in the cineplexes that popped up to replace those. Did go to a few drive-ins after that but the last film we saw at those was probably Star Trek: Into Darkness in 2013. Much prefer to watch movies in the comfort of our home. We have a 55" 4K tv and 9.2 channel Atmos receiver - more than enough to keep us happy for most films. Also have a DLP projector and 84" screen when I feel like setting that up. Don't have to worry about sitting next to annoying people who aren't courteous enough not to have conversations or turn their phones off. The food is better and cheaper here too! :D

Outdoor Theater ( screened in)-
165” Screen
5.1.4 ( Klipsch RF26-FA Front and Rear Towers all Bi-Amped, Front and Rear Atmos)
SVS Tower Subwoofer

Movies coming out on Streaming Services 45 days after Premiering at Theaters, means I doubt I will go to a Theater again.

Also, with current Life Events, I really do not want to be around people right now, have to force myself to leave the house.

The last movie I saw in an actual theater was Harper Valley PTA in 1978. That's when our small local theater closed. Definitely not interested in the cineplexes that popped up to replace those. Did go to a few drive-ins after that but the last film we saw at those was probably Star Trek: Into Darkness in 2013. Much prefer to watch movies in the comfort of our home. We have a 55" 4K tv and 9.2 channel Atmos receiver - more than enough to keep us happy for most films. Also have a DLP projector and 84" screen when I feel like setting that up. Don't have to worry about sitting next to annoying people who aren't courteous enough not to have conversations or turn their phones off. The food is better and cheaper here too! :D
DAMM right on everything you said. last time i went to the movies i had idiots on there phones taking videos and talking when they should have been sitting down and shutting the F up and respecting the other people!!!

Reactions: FTA4PA
people still goto the movies:facepalm. id'e rather watch movies in the comfort of my own home. no distractions and no rude people!!! i have a media room in my home and one out bt the pool with an outdoor kitchen and wet bar that's alot more fun than going to the movies:coco:oops::rolleyes:. whenever fottball's going on i always have BYOB parties!!!

people still goto the movies:facepalm. id'e rather watch movies in the comfort of my own home. no distractions and no rude people!!! i have a media room in my home and one out bt the pool with an outdoor kitchen and wet bar that's alot more fun than going to the movies:coco:oops::rolleyes:. whenever fottball's going on i always have BYOB parties!!!
Not to mention being able to pause for bathroom breaks and food refills.
Why did the theaters ever do away with intermission? Would be a money making opportunity for them to sell refills.

Not to mention being able to pause for bathroom breaks and food refills.
Why did the theaters ever do away with intermission? Would be a money making opportunity for them to sell refills.
true!!!
i don't know why theaters did away with intermission. i agree that would be a great money maker as well. that's where they make there $$$ is off snacks and drinks!!! the bloopers and deleted scenes are nice sometimes to!!! it's a much better experience when you can have home cooked food and a cold one and relax. the seats in the movies were always uncomfortable also!!!

Well after having this experience with OLeD, and having a couple of minor issues with our living room tv, I decided to replace it as well.

Looked at a few QLED sets (like what we had), but after finding a deal on a A1 65” I couldn’t pass it up. In there 120hz panel isn’t a big deal. No gaming at all, strictly streaming.

For that, it meets all my needs.

After installing it, minor tuning of the settings, after the girls picked up where they left off watching “Stranger things”, they both mentioned how much better the pq was. Hard to beat those contrast ratios and the black levels.

Reactions: Foxbat
I noticed the 48” LG C1 OLED I bought in February is even lower now, under $800. Don’t tell Mrs. Foxbat! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Ronnie-
I hate my 83’ Sony A90J OLED, even with the lights out, curtains closed, at night, cannot see what is going on in dark scenes.

Last episode of Obi-Wan, when Luke is being chased in the desert, just murky blackness, current season of Stranger Things, same issues., tried the Netflix Calibrated mode on the Sony, even worse.

TV is going in my Game Room, buying the 85” Sony Z9K mini-LED when it comes out next month.

I hate my 83’ Sony A90J OLED, even with the lights out, curtains closed, at night, cannot see what is going on in dark scenes.

Last episode of Obi-Wan, when Luke is being chased in the desert, just murky blackness, current season of Stranger Things, same issues., tried the Netflix Calibrated mode on the Sony, even worse.

TV is going in my Game Room, buying the 85” Sony Z9K mini-LED when it comes out next month.
That honestly sounds like some settings need to be adjusted. Ive found the scenes you referenced looked great on my garage Set (OLED), even with the door up. They are dark, by design, but the contrast ratios inherent to the OLED makes everything distinct and pops out at me.

The wife and daughter were watching Stanger Things on the new one, with just slight tweaks, and both commented how much better it looked. Things they would miss on the old set were clear and obvious to them. (edit: I forgot I mentioned that above. Whoops. ;) )

So, may want to look into the settings. Perhaps check Rtings and see what they used and tweak from there?

Reactions: Jimbo
That honestly sounds like some settings need to be adjusted. Ive found the scenes you referenced looked great on my garage Set (OLED), even with the door up. They are dark, by design, but the contrast ratios inherent to the OLED makes everything distinct and pops out at me.

The wife and daughter were watching Stanger Things on the new one, with just slight tweaks, and both commented how much better it looked. Things they would miss on the old set were clear and obvious to them. (edit: I forgot I mentioned that above. Whoops. ;) )

So, may want to look into the settings. Perhaps check Rtings and see what they used and tweak from there?
It has been calibrated, paid to have it done professionally, the only problem shows/movies are the ones, as you say, dark by design.

We have been rewatching this season of stranger things before we watch the last two episodes, and I rewatched the finale of Obi Wan.

They are dark.

But I don’t have any issue with seeing what’s going on at all. Like it’s dark where it’s supposed to be, but the contrast is there and it’s easy to make out the surrounding elements.

If I adjust the settings I can make it like others have described.

I agree. I have the 65" X900H (I know, different models, but still) and the picture is stellar. I've played with settings a lot though, on SDR and HDR.

My 14 yr old and I have watched the first 3 seasons of Stranger Things the last few weeks, keeping the living room lights way down to 10% (Brown w/Phillips Hue) and it's looked beautiful. Season 4's first 2 episodes have had a lot of dark scenes and no issues seeing anything. I know you said it's been professionally calibrated, but are the Auto settings set to off (Black adjust, Contrast Enhancer, Local Dimming)?

And what is the deal with everyone watching Stranger Things??