Omg, Why !!!

I dont mind at all that our dish is on our roof. First off the installer installed it right on the edge, right over a drainage vent.

Second, he used caulk to prevent any leaks from happening.

When I bought my house in 1995 we had neighborhood covenants that forbid installing the dish (18") where it could be seen from the street. My only option was a roof mount and I did it myself. Believe me, I caulked the hell out of it with roof cement. Good post, reminds me to get up there and recaulk. My 5LNB is now on the eve as the installer told me that was the only place he would install it and our covenants are not enforced on the dishes any longer. I hate it's location now.

Man, I just have to ask. Why would anyone mount a dish on top of there roof? :confused: talk about a problem waiting to happen. :eek: That would be like me putting a p hook in the roof to tie off a cable drop. that just doesn't happen. :rolleyes: I have always questioned the practice but no one really has given me a good answer. I can see the eve, a pole, a wall, etc. but on top of the roof? :shocked
Roof mounts are necessary fro line of sight issues and structure/construction issues...
Examples....if the roof is as a few on here say, is not an option, there would be a much higher percentage of jobs thtat would not get done..based on that number, Dish would pull our contract for low completion pct and someone else willing to explore all mounting options would get the work....
We must use the roof in may instances when the house has vinyl siding..75% of the homes in this area are sided with vinyl .Ther are 1300 homes in subdivision...EVERY SINGLE ONE has vinyl siding on at least three sides.WE are surronded by a whoole bunch of other neghborhoods where those homes are sidied with vinyl..We also try not to use pole mounts becuase it's bad business...We as contractors must buy the materials..WE are prohibited by Dish(DNS Jobs) from passing that cost along to the customer..So if the pole mount is needed for Line of sight, we have to eat the cost of the materials and perform the extra labor...A 5.5 foot galavanized fence pot is $8 and concrete is up to aboiut $5 for a 50lb bag of quickset...
Most customers ,especially ones with pets or kids DO NOT want a pole mount anyway...
Look, this goes out ot all who have their strenuous objections to roof mounts.....Most of us treat our customers hmes as though they were our own..In other words I would not do to someone's home what I would not do to my own
So I think everyone needs to stop this hand wringing overe roof mounts....

You have opinions on roof mounts.

I like the roof mount option since it puts the dish up high, where kids in the area or dogs or lawnmowers or whatever else can't get to it to knock it out of alignment.

How many installers are still using roof mount waivers? I haven't used one since I went out on my own. I have $2 mil worth of insurance, and I have never had a damage claim relating to a roof. Personally, if an installer asked me to sign a waiver, I'd probably send him/her away.

In 8 years, I've only had 1, and that was for a ceiling I stepped through after slipping at a transition--where the ceiling changes heights. I called Zurich direct immediately, gave the customer my # (although she should have already had it), and Zurich reported it closed/completed less than 2 weeks later. They got it fixed to $500, and I doubt I could have gotten that good of a price on the job. Best part, NO deductible. Didn't cost me a dime. I had no idea that I had no deductible until I made the claim. What a pleasant surprise!

The company I referenced earlier in the thread constantly has damage claims, due to their hiring of total morons (which is one reason I was so miserable there).

Roof mounts are necessary fro line of sight issues and structure/construction issues...
Examples....if the roof is as a few on here say, is not an option, there would be a much higher percentage of jobs thtat would not get done..based on that number, Dish would pull our contract for low completion pct and someone else willing to explore all mounting options would get the work....
We must use the roof in may instances when the house has vinyl siding..75% of the homes in this area are sided with vinyl .Ther are 1300 homes in subdivision...EVERY SINGLE ONE has vinyl siding on at least three sides.WE are surronded by a whoole bunch of other neghborhoods where those homes are sidied with vinyl..We also try not to use pole mounts becuase it's bad business...We as contractors must buy the materials..WE are prohibited by Dish(DNS Jobs) from passing that cost along to the customer..So if the pole mount is needed for Line of sight, we have to eat the cost of the materials and perform the extra labor...A 5.5 foot galavanized fence pot is $8 and concrete is up to aboiut $5 for a 50lb bag of quickset...
Most customers ,especially ones with pets or kids DO NOT want a pole mount anyway...
Look, this goes out ot all who have their strenuous objections to roof mounts.....Most of us treat our customers hmes as though they were our own..In other words I would not do to someone's home what I would not do to my own
So I think everyone needs to stop this hand wringing overe roof mounts....

You have opinions on roof mounts.

Thanks man. I appreciate your posts. When I see people complaining about installs I just want to tell them to try doing it for a living, just for a few months. Everybody loves the free installs, but for some reason they think they deserve a custom install. We do what we can for the money and time we have. And I know for a fact that a good installer can mount a dish to a roof without screwing up the house, even without that 20$ non penetrating thingamjig.

Yeah, those are pretty sweet. A retailer could probably make a profit by selling and installing those with a Sat system. No good for contract installers tho, takes too much extra time. And if we did, we'd charge out the yin yang to do it. But they do make for a really clean install and it would eliminate any roof leak potentials.

Only one problem...where the hell are you going to ground your coax? Grounding is supposed to occur within the 1st few feet of penetration, right? Comes back to the whole, "oh screw that, I'm not gonna ground in the attic"

Only one problem...where the hell are you going to ground your coax? Grounding is supposed to occur within the 1st few feet of penetration, right? Comes back to the whole, "oh screw that, I'm not gonna ground in the attic"
Yep, I thought the same thing. You go through all the trouble to make a neat installation, but it's all for crap because it isn't to NEC code.

Also, I thought that in high-snow situations, you're going to have a possible entry point, but I see that part of the installation is a soft foam seal that keeps moisture from wicking along the coax cables.

As far as roof mounts, I didn't have much of a choice. I have maples and elms all around my house to the south and west. The only notch is above a short maple in the SW corner of my property. By going to the roof, I gain a good 24' of elevation over the tree line. I wish I didn't need to, but we bought the house before there was DBS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)