Omg, Why !!!

Hakkamike, even though I'm not big on roof installs, I actually like the way you done yours. but these others with four bolts through the shingles. :eek: I can see the mount in the eve.

iafirebuff said:
Talking about sloppy installers, our local Mediacom guys love to drill a hole through the outside wall, right behind the tv the cable is going to. Looks real good. No drip loops, no sealing, just a plastic pass through. Brand new houses with black cables running on the outside of the house to each room. YUCK! And I have seen several Directv installs that have the switch installed at the dish with a hugh ball of coax everywhere. I just shake my head :)

Sounds like someone needs to shoot their building contractor. I roughed in the electrical at a friends house and also did his RG-6 and CAT-5 rack in the attic. 4 bedroom house with 18 RG-6's dropped throughout the house and 6 RG-6's leading outside for OTA, Satellite, etc. All running up to a custom built "break-out" board.

Now thats how it should be done! Sounds like a top notch job!

digiblur said:
Sounds like someone needs to shoot their building contractor. I roughed in the electrical at a friends house and also did his RG-6 and CAT-5 rack in the attic. 4 bedroom house with 18 RG-6's dropped throughout the house and 6 RG-6's leading outside for OTA, Satellite, etc. All running up to a custom built "break-out" board.

iafirebuff said:
I use "Black Jack" brand tar/roof sealant to seal around the screw holes in my shed roof. I also filled the holes with silicon caulk and then drove the screws in. Not sure if that helps or not, but cheap to do. I need to go up and put another coat of Black Jack on. One hint - wear gloves, it stains your hands :)

so true..many a times I have had to put gas on my hands to get it off :)

Anyone that puts a dish on the roof is just asking for trouble. I do not care what you seal it with ANY none nesacary hole in a roof is just a leak waitting to happen. It was never a option on my install. I spent 25 bucks on the cement and the installer dug the hole and supplied the pole for 20 bucks!!! He bolted the AT-9 base to the bottom of the pole so there is no way that pole will be moving set in 100 lbs of cement.

The previous homeowner let dish mount a 18 incher on the roof but it is only over the eve so any leak when I remove the dish will be minimal. I cringe every time I look at that dish!!! That Dish network install was so crappy that I would be ashamed to walk away from that if I was the installer, Even if I was doing it for free.

somethng else to consider, if you are like me and live in a 100+ year old house, you will find out that they didn't use a solid sheet of plywood, just 1x4's with gaps. so if an installer goes to put that thing on the roof and pokes a hole through and no wood, guess what? I now have even a bigger problem. what really burns me, an internet satellite system installed on the roof. not only the mount but the arms as well have to be mounted with even more holes. :eek:

Last edited:
cablewithaview said:
what really burns me, an internet satellite system installed on the roof. not only the mount but the arms as well have to be mounted with even more holes. :eek:

I do it everyday and have been for the past 2 years and have never had 1 problem with any of my roof mounts.:) Did you take a look at the link I posted?

I have for years now, had a Direct tv dish, a Bev dish and a 10' bud on my roof.
No leaks or roof rot, if seal the lag bolt holes and mount bracket properly they can not leak.

First of all the reason why most installers mount on roofs is because they all use 5/16 X 2.5 inch lag bolts with a 1/2 Inch Head. To install the lag bolts, the installers have a 1/2 Inch nut driver or socket on their cordless drill that literally takes them less than a minute to install on your roof.

If you do a pole mount, your talking a good hour to dig the hole mix the cement and trench the cable.

If you mount to siding, you don't always know what is behind it and if you screw up then you got the customer bitching about putting holes in their siding.

Brick is excellent, however depending on the brick it can be a pain in the ass. In my old house, I had a very soft clay brick. I would use Tapcon screws to attatch to the brick and would actually drill directly into the brick instead of using a mortor joint. My new house on the other hand has a very hard fire brick, if you use tapcon screws it literally will strip the screw. I either have to use Lag bolts, or these special concrete anchors that exposed threads when you tighten the nut on it.

As a rule of thumb we try to mount all Dishes right on the edge of the roof, so its on the part over the sophet. I haven't had any leak yet, but if one did leak it would not damage the drywall inside the customers home.

The only time a Dish is mounted any higher than that is if there is a line of site issue due to trees.

I have been on service calls where the idiot installer mounted the Dish on the peak of the roof. The LNB was bad, and I gave the customer a choice. He can either go up there and change it himself, or I'll sell him a new Dish and mount it lower on the roof.

But on a typical install, you mount the Dish on the roof, drop your lines down the side of the house and tie in at the existing cable Tv ground block.

I try to keep all Dishes atleast broomstick height, low enough to get to it with a small ladder and for a broom stick to knock the snow off if there is a problem. High enough to keep it out of reach from the kids or someone bumping into it creating an un-necessary service call.

A weed eater ? (will not hurt rg-6 unless you REALLY TRY HARD) And as far as installers mounting on roofs, do you really think if they were that lazy they would want to pull the ladder off the truck ? No, it is much easyer to mount to the side of a building. Point well taken. I personally HATE mounting on the shingles/roof of a home BUT there are ways to make sure it will not leak. I would prefer that ALL reflectors be pole mounted BUT sometimes you really cannot get a good look at all of the birds unless you mount to a roof. Not to say that some just do it that way because they have been trained improperly or do not have (or know how to use) an inclinometer.........

Regarding what vsat said about weedeaters, I used to do commercial lawns, and the only way a weedeater would ruin a coax (other than sitting there trying to eat through the insulation on purpose), is if the coax gets wrapped around the head of the eater (commercial landscapers use commercial eaters, which usually either have no guard, or we would remove the guard that home type eaters would leave on, with the guard on it makes the coax wrap harder), even then, the person operating the weedeater would have to pull his ass off to break the coax (we would carefully unwrap it from the heads when this happened, which was often, a good way to prevent this, is to make sure you have no slack in the coax, and if any at the entry point, staple the hell out of it), although it is possible in that scenario to damage the insides of the coax, for cabletv, not a huge deal, but for satellite, small damage could make a difference.

Wrt landscaping equipment, the real danger for coax, is when the coax runs under a walk/driveway/tree wall, or other area where an edger might go, a steel edger blade will _definatly_ take out a coax, which is one of the reasons most landscape companies use a weedeater (tilted) to edge, instead of a blade-edger.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)