Opportunity to design a home theater

With a 120" screen and a 720p PJ, you would want to sit back about 12 feet to avoid detecting the screendoor effect, but the Panny has the smooth tech to allow you to sit closer. You could actually mount the Panny on the back wall and still have 16 footLamberts of perceived brightness on the 120" screen. You generally want about 12fL so if you shoot for 16fL when the PJ is new, when the lamp dims later in life, you still get the 12fL you ideally want.

I checked the Mits on the calculator and with it mounted at 15 feet throwing a 120" diagonal image, it shows 18fL so the Mits is good to go even without an increased gain screen.

Very cool. You have given me some ammo to go into the discussions with the HT company later this morning.

Sent him a long email last night and waiting for a response on several questions.

Thanks for confirming the screen size issues. I appreciate it.

I think 120" will be fine for a 17' room and will give that real theater feel. I don't think you should rush into the projector though. I don't think you are going to be happy with 720P with that screen and viewing disatances.

Set up the shelf and be flexible. I renew the offer to loan you an Optoma EP719 720P DLP projector. Use it a few weeks, and then start saving for the 1080P unit. BTW, for this unit on a 120" screen, the optimal distance would be 16.5', but 14' would work.

I think 120" will be fine for a 17' room and will give that real theater feel. I don't think you should rush into the projector though. I don't think you are going to be happy with 720P with that screen and viewing disatances.

Set up the shelf and be flexible. I renew the offer to loan you an Optoma EP719 720P DLP projector. Use it a few weeks, and then start saving for the 1080P unit. BTW, for this unit on a 120" screen, the optimal distance would be 16.5', but 14' would work.

EP719 is not a 720p PJ. Its a 1024x768 data projector.

EP719 is not a 720p PJ. Its a 1024x768 data projector.

Nuts. Thought it had the widescreen chip. Doublechecked and you are correct.

HOWEVER, I predict that if Mike buys a cheap 720P projector, it will be in the classifieds in 6 months, and he will be shopping for a 1080P projector. Mike, I really think you should wait a month or two before you set it up, buy the proper projector, and save that $500 you are going to lose on trading up soon.

Nuts. Thought it had the widescreen chip. Doublechecked and you are correct.

HOWEVER, I predict that if Mike buys a cheap 720P projector, it will be in the classifieds in 6 months, and he will be shopping for a 1080P projector. Mike, I really think you should wait a month or two before you set it up, buy the proper projector, and save that $500 you are going to lose on trading up soon.

You could be right but it will be this fall when the new 1080p PJs come out and then his 720p will still sell for $500 or more since it is less than a year old.

In the mean time, he can spend the $1500 he did not spend on a 1080p now on better speakers, an awesome sub (SV Sound PB12-Plus Powered Box Subwoofer), HT recliners, an equipment rack, and other goodies. Build a great theater, then later, the PJ upgrade is easier because a better display is always a given.

720Ps are still getting the job done and that EP719 would make a great outdoor PJ!

I was a bit concerned that 720p might be problematic at 120". Although I guess I could use a smaller part of the screen.

I appreciate your offer, and think I most likely will take you up on it. It would give me a sense of what I am dealing with. Thank you again.

I do not want to rush into the projector; and want to do it right.

Just read the whole thread and I think you guys are right in that it would make sense to take this slow. I do NOT have to have a functional HT the minute I walk into that house. Hell, I am going to have a LOT of stuff to do - and a lot to spend money on given all the expenses. I was initially working off the 720p's because of comments early on that it gave a lot of bang for the buck. I realize that we were also talking 80 or 100" screen; not 120."

I also see the advantage of buying a 720p, and then using the unspent money for the extras.

Ah... decisions, decisions, decisions. Sure glad I have this thread and you guys to throw ideas off of.

AND its not like I am living with a tv situation that is intolerable. My Sony XBR4 120MHz LCD, while just a miniscule 40" is an awesome tv.

I heard from the HT contractor. The outlet for the projector will go at 14.5', as that is where the joist is. That's fine.

He is working up a plan to do better sound insulation on the wall adjacent to the mechanical room. Said the furnace was fairly loud. Will put sound board in.

Got the prices on the pre-wire; including coax, ethernet, pre-wire for 7.1, phone, HDMI, and Component, (including for the whole basement for coax drops and phone/ethernet), about $600. Seems fair, I think.

I heard from the HT contractor. The outlet for the projector will go at 14.5', as that is where the joist is. That's fine.

He is working up a plan to do better sound insulation on the wall adjacent to the mechanical room. Said the furnace was fairly loud. Will put sound board in.

Got the prices on the pre-wire; including coax, ethernet, pre-wire for 7.1, phone, HDMI, and Component, (including for the whole basement for coax drops and phone/ethernet), about $600. Seems fair, I think.
Sounds good.
What gauge wire is the HDMI using and is the component RG-59 or RG-6?

You might want a run of serial to the PJ outlet as well so that you can wire it into a controller later on.

You definitely want good sound isolation from the furnace.

HT needs a great sub, or two. Surround is important to hear what the director intended and the sub is just as important to FEEL what the director intended.

Go to Chapter 25 in Finding Nemo where Darla is tapping on the fish tank. If the room is not shaking, you need a bigger, better sub.

Not sure if it's been covered in this thread or not becuase I dont have time to sift thru all the pages, but if you are going with a FP setup then DO NOT buy a ready made screen from da-lite or stewart. You can actually buy the exact same material that they use from the same manufacturer that some of the big screen makers buy from. A fabric company named Danzian makes a few different varities of high quality screen material that you can buy in a roll and then you can place you projector first where you want it, project an image on the wall and measure the outline to cut your template. I did a 110" screen that I stretched over a piece of luon board, hot glue gunned it on the back edge, then reverse counter sunk some screws with butterfly anchors, mounted it, and trimmed it with some nice crown molding that I painted with gold flake to match the auto drapes. The entire setup cost me under $200.00 and the project (screen portion) took me less than a day and has been oohed and awed at by some of the best HT folks in the Atlanta area. The same size and quality screen would have cost me at least $1200.00 from Stewart-Firehawk.

Another option is screen-goo, I have a couple of buddies that have used this and it prodices an excellent result.

I even brought my screen with me on our recent move to Lagrange and used the move as an excuse to upgrade my projector to a 1080p Benq. Pricey but worth it.

What is wrong with the ready-made screens?

We are now thinking 106"/110" diagonal is more likely for the room design.

You will still be happy with that size.

There's nothing wrong with a DaLite, Draper, or Carada screen or even the more expensive screen makers. It's all a matter of cost. Some folks want to save money and DIY is rewarding to them. Now, if you are going to put your front channel behind the screen, you will need an audio transparent screen and DIY is less likely.

Like you said though, no hurry. There's time to make good decisions by solid research.

You will still be happy with that size.

There's nothing wrong with a DaLite, Draper, or Carada screen or even the more expensive screen makers. It's all a matter of cost. Some folks want to save money and DIY is rewarding to them. Now, if you are going to put your front channel behind the screen, you will need an audio transparent screen and DIY is less likely.

Like you said though, no hurry. There's time to make good decisions by solid research.

Exactly, and with Jay's offer, I will be able to get a much better feel of what 720p can do, and make decisions.

I am planning on in-wall font/center channels. It will make the room cleaner.

Oh, and we agreed on putting the rack in the mechanical room; using a sensor to provide full controls.

Exactly, and with Jay's offer, I will be able to get a much better feel of what 720p can do, and make decisions.

I am planning on in-wall font/center channels. It will make the room cleaner.

Oh, and we agreed on putting the rack in the mechanical room; using a sensor to provide full controls.
Just remember that the EP719 is not a 720p PJ but a data PJ not really designed for HT. It will do a good job but there will be light spill above and below your 16x9 screen since the PJ is a 4x3 format. SDE and RBE are more likely but it will still be fun to see a 110" screen!

Nothing is wrong with them. It is just a matter of cost. For me the savings of almost a 1000 dollars for the exact same quality meant I had more to blow on building the HTPC and seating.

Just remember that the EP719 is not a 720p PJ but a data PJ not really designed for HT. It will do a good job but there will be light spill above and below your 16x9 screen since the PJ is a 4x3 format. SDE and RBE are more likely but it will still be fun to see a 110" screen!

Ah... I got confused about what projector we were talking about; but Jay's offer, even if it is 4x3 is not a bad one to just get a sense of what we are dealing with.

I have decided, without doubt, to take time to make the projector decision. Will not rush into it.

Of course, I also take the risk that finances slow the whole thing down. I know I can buy the 720p projector now; I don't know if I wait 3 month where the costs of moving will leave me, as I will not take out debt to purchase one. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)