Opportunity to design a home theater

Might not want to put a wall and door for the exercise room and just make it an area.

Also, the door into the theater is cutting into your seating area.

I kind of want a door on the exercise room; even if it is a small room, it should be do-able.

And if 3' isn't 'walk-in, its still better then nothing. Just not sure if I should push the wall out 1 foot? Does that make the landing too tight? Again, hard to tell.

I know the audiophiles will hate the idea, but I'd consider a wide double sliding door into the theatre...

Diogen.

Looking at the original blueprint I see that the one they sent me leaves out the post, which is about 2' 11" further out from the corner of the bathroom. If the bathroom is extended out that far, then there will be an even smaller space at the bottom of the stairs; and the bath would be far larger then needed, although it would leave good space for a walk-in closet.

Also, re:

17x13 ish.

My old house had a 21x12 space, so it is doable. If you're going with traditional theater style seating go for the narrow footprint chairs so that you have a comfortable aisle way.

With your space constraints, I would seriously consider the option of going with in walls. Then you could mount at the front of the room and not lose any space. Mind you, I'm thinking quality in-walls not the $39 el cheapos.

Lots more to discuss, and no time to do it in.

Cheers,

Rocky:

If you're spending the money, I would get a full bath downstairs. I think that will help immensely with resale value vs. a half bath.

The house has 2 full baths, 1 1/2 bath, and the 1/2 bath in the basement. I originally wanted the full bath, but compromised on it, given the price he was willing to do the basement for (under $20/sq. ft) as part of the negotiated price.

While the basement "exercise room" could theoretically be a very small bedroom, and a full bath would help with that; the house still has four large bedrooms upstairs.

We have been thinking about it though.

Also, re:

17x13 ish.

My old house had a 21x12 space, so it is doable. If you're going with traditional theater style seating go for the narrow footprint chairs so that you have a comfortable aisle way.

With your space constraints, I would seriously consider the option of going with in walls. Then you could mount at the front of the room and not lose any space. Mind you, I'm thinking quality in-walls not the $39 el cheapos.

Lots more to discuss, and no time to do it in.

Cheers,

I am definitely planning on in-wall speakers for the front. And decent ones, for sure.

I figure there is plenty of time to decide on the furniture.

I am guessing the AV rack would go in the back corner. Making relatively short wire runs for everything except the three front speakers.

Where would the sub-woofer go?

Rocky:

Okay... I didn't know the particulars for the rest of the house.

I'd still say 3.5 would be better then 2 + 2 1/2s :D

On a side note, is this an 8' or 9' pour? A 9' pour (which I was lucky enough to get) feels much less like a basement.

Cheers,

I am definitely planning on in-wall speakers for the front. And decent ones, for sure.

I figure there is plenty of time to decide on the furniture.

I am guessing the AV rack would go in the back corner. Making relatively short wire runs for everything except the three front speakers.

Where would the sub-woofer go?

How many subs? 2 or more :D Seriously 2 is better than 1.

Some will argue for the corner placement, it does give you max SPL at the expense of the worst frequency response. Front of room dead center, back of room dead center, side at 1/3 or 1/2 points have done well for me (as measured) in the past.

I use 2 subs myself, and have for some time. It's not about the SPL (although it's nice to have some in reserve), it's about the acoustic results.

Cheers,

The rack can go wherever it is convenient.

Have you thought about putting it in the equipment room and then having it accessible in the main HT? I've seen this pulled off before very nicely. It gives you plenty of room to work behind the gear.

If you aren't changing gear constantly (like me) this isn't as urgent an issue.

Cheers,

Rocky:

Okay... I didn't know the particulars for the rest of the house.

I'd still say 3.5 would be better then 2 + 2 1/2s :D

On a side note, is this an 8' or 9' pour? A 9' pour (which I was lucky enough to get) feels much less like a basement.

Cheers,

John,

Here is the house layout. Its an 8' pour.

The other tv will go in the "living room," on the main floor (40" XBR4 LCD).

Waiting to hear from the builder on the coax/cat-5 locations.

Attachments

• House Layout.pdf
    201.5 KB · Views: 130
Ok, here is what the architect came back with. She suggested moving the door to that corner, and making it swing out.

What do you guys think of this?

Still room for two read surrounds, and maximum floor space for seating.

I need to let her know later this morning.

Attachments

• Lot #278 PHR - FB.pdf
    176.3 KB · Views: 107
Ok, here is what the architect came back with. She suggested moving the door to that corner, and making it swing out.

What do you guys think of this?

Still room for two read surrounds, and maximum floor space for seating.

I need to let her know later this morning.

I might have the door open the other way. I know that interferes with the door to the mechanical room, but they shouldn't be open at the same time.

Most of the basement rooms I have seen do not use a full 2x4 on the facing of the concrete walls. I thinkthey are generally 2x2s. That very well could limit your use on in-wall speakers by the screen. The Klipsch in-wall units I installed for surrounds at my old house required 6 inches of depth. I would guess that anything will require at least 3.5" depth plush the plasterboard.

I might have the door open the other way. I know that interferes with the door to the mechanical room, but they shouldn't be open at the same time.

Most of the basement rooms I have seen do not use a full 2x4 on the facing of the concrete walls. I thinkthey are generally 2x2s. That very well could limit your use on in-wall speakers by the screen. The Klipsch in-wall units I installed for surrounds at my old house required 6 inches of depth. I would guess that anything will require at least 3.5" depth plush the plasterboard.

Again, dealing with a high end builder, and I am going to have him install the in-walls; so it should not be a problem. Might mean I have a couple inches less space, but that's ok.

Basically when I get to the house I want to be able to just connect the surrounds, av hardware, and projector, and be able to go from there.

I am debating about the direction the door opens, but as long as it opens "out" I will be in good shape. You are right the door to the mechanical room will be closed most of the time.

I think the design she sent me looks good, and it gives me a nice place for my library (I am envisioning bookshelves on the wall adjacent to the bathroom, and on both sides of the window, with a comfortable reading chair in the middle. Again, down the road, as all this stuff costs way too much money, but in the end I am going to be setup pretty well.

Again, dealing with a high end builder, and I am going to have him install the in-walls; so it should not be a problem. Might mean I have a couple inches less space, but that's ok.

Basically when I get to the house I want to be able to just connect the surrounds, av hardware, and projector, and be able to go from there.

I am debating about the direction the door opens, but as long as it opens "out" I will be in good shape. You are right the door to the mechanical room will be closed most of the time.

I think the design she sent me looks good, and it gives me a nice place for my library (I am envisioning bookshelves on the wall adjacent to the bathroom, and on both sides of the window, with a comfortable reading chair in the middle. Again, down the road, as all this stuff costs way too much money, but in the end I am going to be setup pretty well.

Looks good Rocky. Now I'm jealous...

Enjoy! :)

Looks good Rocky. Now I'm jealous...

Enjoy! :)

Thanks. I'm sure I'll be asking more and more questions as it gets closer to actually selecting equipment, screens, etc...

need to research the 100" screens, in-walls, sound-proofing, etc.... But at this point I am just glad the project is ready to move forward with the construction. :hungry: :hungry:

(And in the meantime, I need to move out of my house, put stuff into storage, temporarily move for a month, finish my job here, and then physically move to Illinois. All in the next 58 days. :eek:

Rocky,

Not sure how you feel about the AVSForum site but let me recommend that you read this particular thread over there that will teach you just about everything you ever wanted to know about a home theater by following the construction of the Home Theater of this particular forum member. It is 3300 replies long and has been viewed over 1,000,000 times. It took me 3 days to read through it but it is one big education in a hurry. If you register, I hate to ask anyone to do that, then you will see dozens of great photos to help as well.

Amazing and very informative! It goes through everything from soundproofing to equipment and everything in between. Live through each agonizing decision, each return, and each final satisfying result.

Sandmans Home Theater Construction Begins! - AVS Forum

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)