Orby frustration please help!

Roadrunnr

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2020
Florida
Just rcd Orby TV Sat dish Install Kit, and 2 receivers.
Included in install kit, signal meter, level and compass. Brand Signal meter (included from Orby) is GTMedia
Everything assembled, as a test, only hooked up one receiver from sat dish to receiver to tv using all new coax cable and HDMI cables. Did not use any pre existing coax cable.
Signal meter shows 91% outdoors and when attached to receiver. On screen Orby tv signal meter shows 0%. Well, on screen that is Step 6 and of course we can't move on to Step 7 which is order/pay for the service without a signal.
Called Orby cust serv. Ha ha. We aren't professional installers, but we knew, and had done more then the Orby cust support person. Searched the net for same prob as us, and can't find any posts or videos. About ready to return equipment and forget Sat TV perhaps take up knitting in our spare time. Lol:helpsign
Our location is Florida.
We are rural and get only a few OTA stations with our antenna, and there is no cable provider in our locale. Cell data is out of the question due to caps and costs.
Help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance and hopes that everyone reading this is having a great Labor Day Weekend :)
Roadrunnr

I used the signal meter in the set top box,
Get your dish elevation set and everything connected set top box on signal screen turn the tv volume all the way up and open a window close to the dish so you can here the tone. move the dish back and forth slowly very slowly. after you get the tone you need to fine tune the dish for best signal.

I used the signal meter in the set top box,
Get your dish elevation set and everything connected set top box on signal screen turn the tv volume all the way up and open a window close to the dish so you can here the tone. move the dish back and forth slowly very slowly. after you get the tone you need to fine tune the dish for best signal.

Thank You SD FL USA for your response.
Yes, the Signal Meter that we are using, is the one that comes with the Orby Self install kit.
We simply didn't understand why the Signal Meter is registering 91% at Dish, and when hooked directly to Receiver, yet the tv screen has no sound/no movement for the on screen meter.
We will get busy and try moving the dish, as you suggest.
Have a great day!:)

Hi, not sure on your signal meter; however, if it's anything like my squeal meter it will help find a sat fast but maybe not the correct sat. For example when I was setting up my Orby TV I found 119W quickly but had no signal on the Orby TV rec meter. It was not until I figured out I was on 119W and not 117W that things started to go. I put a mark on the mast and moved the dish a tick to the south then the rec meter started to show.

Reactions: dishdude
BTW - an old small portable TV at the dish is a BIG help.

Attachments

• OrbyTvOnFTAdish2.jpg
    OrbyTvOnFTAdish2.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 191
  • OrbyTvSig.jpg
    OrbyTvSig.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 189
Reactions: mr_rye89 and TRG
Thank You SD FL USA for your response.
Yes, the Signal Meter that we are using, is the one that comes with the Orby Self install kit.
We simply didn't understand why the Signal Meter is registering 91% at Dish, and when hooked directly to Receiver, yet the tv screen has no sound/no movement for the on screen meter.
We will get busy and try moving the dish, as you suggest.
Have a great day!:)
If your signal screen on the tv doesn't show movement/sound then do a factory reset or reset system. Look in the Advace Setting menu all the way at the bottom the pin code is 1234.

Found another way to see the signal screen with sound and movement.
menu>settings>orby tv information>Repeat Setup on the right lower side.

The satellite meter app has two meter readings at the bottom of the screen. One reading is Signal Strength, the other meter reading is Signal Quality.

The Signal Strength meter shows that the meter is connected to a working LNBF. The Signal Quality meter shows if you are aimed at the correct satellite.

Which meter reading is showing 91%? A 91% strength reading would only indicate the satellite meter is connected to a working LNBF. A 91% Quality reading would indicate that the dish is aimed at the correct satellite.

Also, is the meter set to the correct satellite and transponder? Do your smartphone screen settings look EXACTLY like those on page 20 step 7 of the Orby Install Guide?

Last edited:
Wow, you folks are a wealth of knowledge! Delighted that I found you, bc we are at wits end. Ty very much for taking the time to help us.
My husband just gave me the numbers he is working with.
Azimuth 240.40277
Elevation
Skew
He said that he had difficulty finding those numbers with the limited Orby instructions and Orby App.
It is sizzling hot out there today, so we are deciding what steps we should take next based on all 411 you folks are giving us.
The LNBF is set up and sitting on a tripod outside, and as I said, connected directly to the receiver with new coax cable. The receiver is connected to the tv with green light lit and Orby remote working. The Orby TV screen on the tv. Stuck at Step 6, which is the 2 on screen meters. Step 7 is to order/pay for service, we haven't done that yet, bc we think that we need a signal first.
We have not gone out and moved the LNBF yet. I think that first, we need to make sure he has the correct numbers.
Just based on a few replies from you folks, we have learned much about Satellite TV signals which is useful and interesting.
We are in North Central Florida.
What step would you good folks recommend that we proceed next with?
Thank you kindly :)
Roadrunnr

Those elevation and skew numbers should be good for finding the signal.
Yes step six is the screen with meter. When you get signal will hear a loud tone.

Don't give up. I would highly recommend that you do not use the outboard signal meter. If you have any small TV that you could take outside near the dish and then look at the signal meter built into the Orby receiver (on that small TV) you could confirm that the dish is pointed at the correct satellite.
I checked your numbers for Gainsville, Florida and got similar results. Do not worry about exact decimal points or your location in Florida. The scale on the dish is not going to be that exact.

Here is a FYI that is good to be aware of, because the Orby dish uses full dish skew instead of just LNB skew (like my FTA dish) and because you need quite a bit of skew the elevation scale is likely to be off by quite a lot. Unless the dish was being pointed at a sat due south or perhaps there is compensation programmed into a aiming app the listed elevation may be off.

Thank you to everyone for all of the invaluable 411 and caring to respond to help us!
Yes, we are about 30 mins outside of Gainesville, Fl in the woods.
At any rate, Hubs worked on it from early morning until late eve yesterday and he is wiped out from the heat today. Thinking that he may get back on it Tuesday.
It is frustrating to say the least, when you know little to nothing about it, and thinking that surely there will be step by step instructions included for the DIY folks whom as many of us are, pretty darn good with DIY projects. Ha, this Sat had us beat until I found you all! You give us hope.
I will post and let you know our progress with moving the sat in tiny increments when he feels like playing in the sizzling hot outdoors again.
In the meantime, we wish you all a pleasant and happy Labor Day! Stay Safe and Be Well.
Roadrunnr :)

Thank you to everyone for all of the invaluable 411 and caring to respond to help us!
Yes, we are about 30 mins outside of Gainesville, Fl in the woods.
At any rate, Hubs worked on it from early morning until late eve yesterday and he is wiped out from the heat today. Thinking that he may get back on it Tuesday.
It is frustrating to say the least, when you know little to nothing about it, and thinking that surely there will be step by step instructions included for the DIY folks whom as many of us are, pretty darn good with DIY projects. Ha, this Sat had us beat until I found you all! You give us hope.
I will post and let you know our progress with moving the sat in tiny increments when he feels like playing in the sizzling hot outdoors again.
In the meantime, we wish you all a pleasant and happy Labor Day! Stay Safe and Be Well.
Roadrunnr :)
If you can post a few photos of the dish 1 standing in front of the dish and 1 of the elevation scale on the dish mount. That way we can let you know if the dish skew is correct and elevation settings look correct.

Reactions: FTA4PA
If you can post a few photos of the dish 1 standing in front of the dish and 1 of the elevation scale on the dish mount. That way we can let you know if the dish skew is correct and elevation settings look correct.
Ok just read your request to Hubs
After I posted last, he decided he would go back out and tackle moving it in small increments to see if we could get anything at all on the tv screen meters. Nothing. No bar, no sound, 2 yellow goose eggs for SQ and SS on screen.
Photo taking in progress as I write this. Will post photos asap.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Ok just read your request to Hubs
After I posted last, he decided he would go back out and tackle moving it in small increments to see if we could get anything at all on the tv screen meters. Nothing. No bar, no sound, 2 yellow goose eggs for SQ and SS on screen.
Photo taking in progress as I write this. Will post photos asap.
Photos of Skew and Elevation

Attachments

• thumbnail_Resized_20200906_123826(1).jpg
    thumbnail_Resized_20200906_123826(1).jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 195
  • thumbnail_Resized_20200906_122847(1).jpg
    thumbnail_Resized_20200906_122847(1).jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 208
The elevation needs to be set to the edge not the bolt. See page 13 of the setup instructions.

Attachments

• Orby-TV-Self-Installation-Guide.pdf
    13.3 MB · Views: 525
Reactions: SDA_FL_USA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)