Orby frustration please help!

The first time I set up my orby dish. I took a small tv to dish along with the receiver. I looked for signal for awhile and noticed the signal meter quit working after a few minutes. I had to get out the set up menu and go back to it again and the signal regestered a little but not much and quit working again. Did the same thing again and the third time I got the signal good and went thru the menue and downloaded the setup at dish . Then I took receiver into house and turned it on and called the number to orby then they downloaded everything and got it working. I relocated the dish closer to house and Since it was already set up before it only took a minute to find the satelite again. Ps when you move the dish a small increment be pstient for 45 seconds so the receiver locks onto the satelite. If you do not give it time to lock on the satelite you might have a hard time getting the receiver to lock on.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Can we see a photo of what's in front of the dish? I noticed my Orby dish appears to be pointed slightly east of where it actually is because of the skew angle of the arm when viewed from behind the dish.

For dish aiming, what about just connecting direct to the LNBF without the diplexer in line to get a signal?

The external signal meter will be much faster to respond than using the satellite receiver's meter. I HIGHLY encourage you to use the GTMedia meter. From personal experience with setting the Orby system up dozens and dozens of times while RV camping, the receiver's internal meter can often be slow to respond and often lock-ups during aiming. Please confirm the questions I asked in previous post.

The dish elevation scale will be close to accurate no matter what skew is set on the dish. As long as the mounting post is plumb and level, the skew angle is properly set and the elevation is approximately set, you are close to the correct elevation.

Locate a landmark that closely aligns with the compass reading for the satellite. SLOWLY pan the dish East of the landmark 10 or 15 degrees then West of the landmark 10 to 15 degrees. If no Signal Quality reading is displayed on the external satellite meter, increase in one degree increments and repeat the SLOW pan to the east then to the west of the landmark. If no Signal Quality meter reading is found move another one degree and repeat the SLOW pan. Repeat until the Signal Quality meter reading is found then optimized.
Follow the advice Titanium has posted..The GT-Media app meter works best.Get yourself a satellite pointer app also like Dish Pointer so you have a general idea where you need to point the dish..

Very odd!
Screenshot_20200907-064800.jpeg

And use the side plates on the mount for the aiming direction, not the LNB arm.
That's a good tip :) on a dish that uses whole dish skew the dish and LNB arm will be off to the side by quite a bit. Perhaps a large carpenters square would help with sighting.

Reactions: NYDutch
Gm and Best Wishes to each of u good folks for a Happy and Safe Labor Day Holiday today!
We got back on it this morning bc u folks encouraged us and gave us hope that we could achieve success, Tyvm for that
Moved the dish a couple feet. Checked plumb, level and all measurements then hooked up signal meter, which is def progress, but now stuck on step 7
FYI,We didn’t hook up their ota antenna nor ours.
pics attached

Attachments

• 40864373-DC02-488E-91CE-A0E3B867C64F.jpeg
    40864373-DC02-488E-91CE-A0E3B867C64F.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 295
  • DAA6A60A-A93E-427C-8EB3-D01D9D8F4D83.jpeg
    DAA6A60A-A93E-427C-8EB3-D01D9D8F4D83.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 278
Reactions: FTA4PA
Gm and Best Wishes to each of u good folks for a Happy and Safe Labor Day Holiday today!
We got back on it this morning bc u folks encouraged us and gave us hope that we could achieve success, Tyvm for that
Moved the dish a couple feet. Checked plumb, level and all measurements then hooked up signal meter, which is def progress, but now stuck on step 7
pics attached
Looks like you had it then maybe the dish moved a tick before step 7. If you can get back to the picture during step 6 with both S and Q above 60 percent or so STOP don't touch anything on the dish. Take a black marker and index the mast and mounting bracket so you can go back if needed. The receiver should start working and should update. You can go back and re-peak but be careful as it is easy to loose the signal when tightening the mount bracket.

Just wanted to follow up with what NYdutch posted. I went out and looked at the only whole dish skew dish that I have - an old dish 500 that has not be in use for a long time but I believe it is on 110 and 119W the picture below shows how much the skew offsets the direction.

Maybe this will help someone else trying to aim a dish that uses whole dish skew.

Attachments

• Dish500.jpg
    Dish500.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 268
pics attached
Yes Titanium, our GT Media meter displays both strength and quality readings.
I have four Orby receivers here that I installed and activated myself. That happened on a couple of mine as well. Really strong signal like yours but would not proceed past that step. I knew it had good signal so I kept going back and clicking next. After several tries it finally went past that step and all was good. Try that and it should go through. :)

Is the GTMedia Android setting for the satellite, transponder and LNB setting identical to the screenshot that referred to in the previous post? This is critical!

What is the GTMedia Strength reading?

What is the GTMedia Quality reading?

Yes, the Orby receiver often will not display Quality and require it to be either power cycled or a reset.

Does the GTMedia meter display both Strength and Quality readings?
Yay! We slowly moved the dish around until Orby TV screen did a channel search. Then, we zoomed along thru the next steps and Guess what we got for Labor Day? Orby TV, nice clean pic, and far more channels then we had with OTA!
We were ready to return the EQ until I found you good folks, that is how frustrated we were!
TYVM for caring to take the time to help us first time DIY Dish installers. My Hubs just stated as I am writing this "That was exhausting and if you ever come up with another idea like that, I am running, not walking far away! " LOL!
You folks have a wonderful Holiday, stay Safe and stay Well!!!
And, Tyvm again for all of your help, suggestions and encouragement! :)

Yay! We slowly moved the dish around until Orby TV screen did a channel search. Then, we zoomed along thru the next steps and Guess what we got for Labor Day? Orby TV, nice clean pic, and far more channels then we had with OTA!
We were ready to return the EQ until I found you good folks, that is how frustrated we were!
TYVM for caring to take the time to help us first time DIY Dish installers. My Hubs just stated as I am writing this "That was exhausting and if you ever come up with another idea like that, I am running, not walking far away! " LOL!
You folks have a wonderful Holiday, stay Safe and stay Well!!!
And, Tyvm again for all of your help, suggestions and encouragement! :)
Congratulations! Now enjoy! :)

Congrats! now the best part is it won't take a half hour next time to dial it in. Can be real nice if a bad storm breaks things, you will be able to get it going quickly and not have to wait weeks for a service person to fix it for you.

Glad you got orby aimed and connected. The directions I gave were for people that do not have a cell phone. My way worked for me. Supose it might be easier or quicker with a cell phone. I tryed a verizion cell phone at my home and couldn,t get a signal. If you have an antenna you should do an ota scan too as the tuner in the orby is a good sensitive tuner. It is easy and you will not need to get any help.

Hi there (invaluable) good folks whom saved us from returning our Orby Eq!
Just to lyk, no probs with our Orby TV, plenty of stations, with crisp clear picture, and he even tackled setting up the second receiver for our Bedroom TV and everything works great!
Ha ha, of course, a storm came along yesterday and knocked the dish over, (we both shuddered, lol) bc we have it on a portable tripod for travel purposes, he set it back up, moved the tripod, a little and bingo right on again. Yep, great learning lesson, and it feels good to know that when we are able to travel again, we have the knowledge to get it set up wherever we are at.
And, the reciever scanned in our pre existing OTA, so we also get our scant few OTA stations too.
Again, thank you very much to everyone whom took the time to help us, have a great day!
Roadrunnr :)