OTA Dongle

kugumby

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
I just got off of a chat with Dish Network and they're saying that the dual tuner OTA dongle is out of stock, but the tech couldn't tell me what ATSC version of tuner is inside the dongle. Does anyone know what ATSC tuner is in it if I can find one via other avenues (ebay, etc)? I have an old, single tuner OTA Dish branded dongle that I'm sure is ATSC 1.0. Since the launch of ATSC 3.0, for ATSC 1.0 programming, our local CW channel 11.1 (KPLR) now originates from KTVI. This is causing the the guide data for 11.1 to mirror the KTVI (local FOX station) guide data, which is completely wrong.

Are the newer dual tuner OTA dongles also ATSC 1.0 tuners? If they are, then I don't think getting a new one will help me with this issue.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Look on eBay for the AirTv dual tuner module. It will be white with a permanently attached USB cable. Last time I looked they were still less than $30 and are the same ATSC 1.0 dual tuners as the black Dish Network one that is $50.

AirTV dual tuner adapter.png

None of the dongles will fix the guide data problem. I would just continue using the single tuner unless you have a need to record two OTA channels at the same time.

Reactions: kugumby
Look on eBay for the AirTv dual tuner module. It will be white with a permanently attached USB cable. Last time I looked they were still less than $30 and are the same ATSC 1.0 dual tuners as the black Dish Network one that is $50.

View attachment 155359
Seems like Ebay may be the only place to find them. I was with a customer trying to show him the dongles on Airtv's site and there's not much on there anymore for products. The adapters are gone.

Amplification overdriving the signal? Sorry no idea what that means.
You can actually have too much OTA signal and it messes with the ability of the tuner to deal with it. Think of it like a water hose that is send a stream of water against a wall. When the water pressure is ideal you get a focused splash of water on a particular spot. Increase that pressure to maximum and now you have water splashing everywhere but in the center and that actually make the flow less useful.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Too much ota signal without the booster? Interesting. So is the wally sending power to the antenna through the tuner adapter?
You can actually have too much signal without a booster if you have your antenna very close to the transmission tower. That is not likely though. You asked initially if the OTA tuner for a Wally would work with your RV antenna that works through a booster. My initial comments mean that you can over-amplify your television signal coming from the antenna to the tuner. I am assuming that booster is a preamp to boost the signal from the RV antenna to the TV location. The Wally isn't sending anything to the antenna. The OTA adapter is plugged into the Wally via a USB port. Consider that OTA adapter is just like the tuner in you TV. The amplifier (booster) is between the antenna and its connection to the tuner whether that tuner is is on the TV or the adapter connecting to the Wally. The antenna doesn't need power itself but the amplifier does. If you antenna has a built in amplifier the power for it stops at the amplifier and does not reach the actual antenna.

Too much ota signal without the booster? Interesting. So is the wally sending power to the antenna through the tuner adapter?
No. They were talking about with the booster, since that is what you asked about. No, power is not output to the antenna RF connection. Power for your booster would have to come from a direct connection or a power inserter made specifically for your booster added in-line between the tuner adapter and the booster.

No. They were talking about with the booster, since that is what you asked about. No, power is not output to the antenna RF connection. Power for your booster would have to come from a direct connection or a power inserter made specifically for your booster added in-line between the tuner adapter and the booster.
Ok, I took a look and I was wrong.....the circle in the picture is where the ota antenna comes in, light is booster on! So I can just attach the ota tuner adapter there and then to the wally and I should be good to go, right? :)
Ant.jpg

Attachments

• Ant.jpg
    Ant.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 91
Ok, I took a look and I was wrong.....the circle in the picture is where the ota antenna comes in, light is booster on! So I can just attach the ota tuner adapter there and then to the wally and I should be good to go, right? :)
View attachment 155398
Yes, a coax from the output of that amplifier to the OTA adapter and then plug the USB from the adapter into the Wally. You will have to do a scan of channels to get the stations.