OTA Issues and New Software 6.20 Download Tonight!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I recieved my update with my box on also.. I was watching RAVE IN CONCERT and the download screen came on and took over. Now i have 6.20, and yes SD channels look really nice now. "No pixelation!" Wonder if there where any other fixes that i don't notice yet???

Could the previous software download (ver 1.10) have allowed for faster more specific updates? For example now it shows PG version, middleware version, etc... If that's the case that would be great as soon as they identify one or two issues that can make a fix and let us download at will, or just wait until 2am.

Problems with OTA

Problems with OTA.

I got the update last night but am still having problems with my OTA. I have the RadioShack Omnidirectional Amplified TV Antenna model 15-1634. It was on the same mast as the VOOM dish and was connected through a the VOOM supplied diplexor. I could not get locals with any reliability. I removed the antenna and placed it on top of my TV and connected it directly to the VOOM box. I am located less than 8 miles from all my local stations. I can move it around and get a strong signal on each station. The problem is that the signal will drop from 95-98 down to 70 or 80 and then back up. Does anyone have a suggestion? Should I get a rotor and mount it higher? I hate to have to call VOOM back out.

I sure wish I could watch the Olympics on NBC. Memphis is not in the HD feed area, so NBC local is my only choice.

Watched the Cardinals on ESPNHD last night. Awesome! I’m hooked. Can’t stand to watch SD anymore. I’m committed to VOOM. I’m sticking it out til things improve or they go under.

I have heard that the signal strength for all locals will increase this Fall. Is this true and will it improve my reception?

hawkshaw,

a rotor maybe your solution. You maybe in an area where the signal may bounce in different directions. I have a RS/channel master rotor and it works like a charm.

FunkyBoss said:
Yeah, I noticed that too last night. I figured it was because all of the bandwidth was going towards others getting the download.

Have you gotten the guide to download yet?
Its been an hour, and I still dont have it..
Last night the upgrade locked up my dish; when I got up this morning, the screen was frozen with the upgrade showing 0% downloaded..I figured I should unplug, and replug in, and that started the upgrade again,which took about 18 min;
After waiting awhile for the PG, I unplugged again, which usually brings the PG up withing minutes, and now 70minutes later, still no PG..

Anyone else have this problem?

wase4711

No PG info after update?

My box updated to 6.20 last night, and rebooted as expected...

But 5 hours later, still no PG info. Finally rebooted it myself before leaving for work, so I don't know if it's downloaded PG yet.

Anyone else see this?

I got the update last night but am still having problems with my OTA. I have the RadioShack Omnidirectional Amplified TV Antenna model 15-1634. It was on the same mast as the VOOM dish and was connected through a the VOOM supplied diplexor. I could not get locals with any reliability. I removed the antenna and placed it on top of my TV and connected it directly to the VOOM box. I am located less than 8 miles from all my local stations. I can move it around and get a strong signal on each station. The problem is that the signal will drop from 95-98 down to 70 or 80 and then back up. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Such variations in signal are a key indicator of multipath interference.

What you need is a new, more directional antenna. The omnidirectional antenna is evidently not suitable for your location. This is not uncommon; omnidirectional antennas often cause problems for those that live close to their broadcast stations.

wase4711 said:
Have you gotten the guide to download yet?
Yes, finally. I forced an upgrade at around 10PM last night. I watched TV for about an hour after the upgrade and the channel labels came back, but the PG info wasn't back. So I went to bed. When I got up this morning, the PG info was back. So for some reason, it is taking a long time after the upgrade to come back. I wonder if they can throttle bandwidth between firmware upgrade downloads and PG downloads somehow.

Hawkshaw said:
Problems with OTA.

I got the update last night but am still having problems with my OTA. I have the RadioShack Omnidirectional Amplified TV Antenna model 15-1634. It was on the same mast as the VOOM dish and was connected through a the VOOM supplied diplexor. I could not get locals with any reliability. I removed the antenna and placed it on top of my TV and connected it directly to the VOOM box. I am located less than 8 miles from all my local stations. I can move it around and get a strong signal on each station. The problem is that the signal will drop from 95-98 down to 70 or 80 and then back up. Does anyone have a suggestion? Should I get a rotor and mount it higher? I hate to have to call VOOM back out.

I sure wish I could watch the Olympics on NBC. Memphis is not in the HD feed area, so NBC local is my only choice.

Watched the Cardinals on ESPNHD last night. Awesome! I’m hooked. Can’t stand to watch SD anymore. I’m committed to VOOM. I’m sticking it out til things improve or they go under.

I have heard that the signal strength for all locals will increase this Fall. Is this true and will it improve my reception?
What antenna did Voom supply you with? Are your locals all broadcasting from the same location? Are they all UHF? I had good luck with the RadioShack UHF only antenna. I eventually swapped it out with the Voom supplied Stealth to try and pick up CBS in the Chicago area here since it broadcasts on VHF channel 3. But the UHF only antenna gave me all the other channels from about 40 miles from the broadcast towers.

sixy said:
I just wanted to say that with this new software that we received tonight, I'm not noticing the sparklies that I would often see on various SD channels.

Great job Voom!
Actually, some SD channels, like CNN Headline News, have been improved over the past few days. I don't believe sparklies have anything to do with the STB. But in any case, Great job Voom!

Occasional lockup when checking signal strength of a weak OTA station

I have a weak local station which is in the OTA map, but the signal is not strong enough. If I try to check the signal strength for that channel the STB locks up in the System Status screen. This wasn't happening in 6.10, so I think this might be a new bug in 6.20.

Well, so far I am NOT happy with the new update. OK, after last nights update to 6.20. I have lost channel 2.1(34). Before the update it was receiving channel 2.1 & 2.2 just fine.

I've checked the signal strength and it is/was at 91. Scanning OTA channels does not pick it up though. 10 minutes later the signals not there at all. Then I went through the process of tunning 34 in again 5 minutes later. It's back at 91 signal strength again. I press the green button to ok it & hit watch. I now have 2.1 on my bedroom reciever but not 2.2 which is the same channel. I have no idea what RF channel that one is. So I try the same thing in the living room which is the most important one & it will NOT work. Same signal stength, 91. The rec. will NOT show it. I've gone through this a number of times with no change.

To top things off, I now get 7.2 along with 7.1. Which before I only got 7.1
FYI= I did try moving the antenna around with no change at all except loosing other OTA stations.
<!-- / message -->

Why???

Ok, I like a good software update like the next guy but during prime time!!?? My wife and I went down to watch some tv last night. It was about 9:00pm est and it was doing the download. Why would they do it during these hours!!??

Also, after about 2 hours, still no pg. Haven't checked today yet. I've gotta say this whole pg thing really needs to be worked out. I shouldn't have to wait for hours and hours for a pg if/when I need to reboot my stb.

btw, I hadn't noticed any improvements on SD or any other improvements with the new software. Not sure what it's supposed to fix.

The Rickster

I forced the download and everything seem sgood. I also got a new OTA channel from Waco, I'm in Round Rock, TX.

Since getting 6.2, one of my OTA channels is maintaining a lock better. It's hard to know if the s/w is responsible as many of the OTA channels in my area are still working on their antennas and transmitters.

I haven't hada PG since the new download. What's the deal? I've already rebooted twice.

Better Ota

I live 75 miles from NYC and used to get WCBS occasionally now that the trees grew in. Since 6.20 upgrade WCBS WNYW and WWOR lock in fine no problem. I thought it was probobly just the weather but have had them fine for 3 days now. Is it possible that something in the software made the receiver more sensitive to pick up weaker signals? It is nice to have CBS again as I only get the Hartford CBS in winter when trees are bare because they broadcast at such low power.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)