OTA issues

Okay, I'll try everythign in the morning. But I couldn't find the power supply at my local store so I purchased two diplexors in hopes that I can use the power off of the SAT. Ya, this wasn't what was suggested on the board, but i'm an impatient little thing. Had to try something soon. If it doesn't work, then I can take the time to find the other component. Do you think Voom will reimburse for the diplexors since the installer didn't supply them?

TONY

henderson_tony said:
But I couldn't find the power supply at my local store
You can call Winegard at 800-288-8094 and ask for a local reseller.
...so I purchased two diplexors in hopes that I can use the power off of the SAT.
If you go the diplexer route, you need two different types of diplexers: the diplexer that combines the antenna and the dish wires must be one of those that pass voltage in both directions: to the dish and to the antenna. This is important. The diplexer that splits the wires to the STB (VOOM/Motorola has a special snap-on version of it) must only pass voltage on one side: on the satellite connection, but not on the OTA connection. Honestly, I don't know what will happen if you pass voltage back to the OTA connector of the STB, but I don't think it is a good idea.
Do you think Voom will reimburse for the diplexors since the installer didn't supply them?
Probably not. But you can insist on getting the diplexers from VOOM, or simply on making the OTA work one way or another. It's VOOM's (and installer's) responsibility to make your OTA work. You don't have to buy or pay for anything extra, unless you want to.

Good luck!

For the record the diplexor route didn't work. But then again, the diplexors were the same, so probably not the right ones. I'm returning those today and found a found a few local winegard dealers I can buy the power supply from. I sorta assumed major chains would have the winegard products, but i've since learned. thanks again for all the great info!

Alright, found a dealer to get the power supply from AND as an added bonus it was surplus so I only paid five bucks. Now it shows that theres power getting to the antenna, but my signal is still 20 or below, still no locals, and the SNR (although i'm still not sure what that stands for) is at 0. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do now? Reposition maybe?

thanks,
TONY

$5??? Is it PS-9370?
Yes, make sure you connect it properly: which connector goes where.
20 or below on which channel? Are you still receiving PBS? What are the signal readings for PBS? Have they improved with the power supply?
SNR is signal-to-noise ratio.

Which digital channels should you be able to get according to www.antennaweb.org ?

YAY!!! Got everything working. Required a little repositioning. I'm getting JUST about every channel except maybe one or two that I don't really miss. So now my Voom is complete. I may need to tweak my OTA positioning abit, but thats it. Whats a normal OTA level? Anyway, ya, its a PS 9370! It was a surplus store, so it wasn't boxed or anything, just laying around. Works fine though!!! Thanks for all the help in this matter! I woulda never known what item to search for.

Happily voomin' now!

henderson_tony said:
YAY!!! Got everything working. Required a little repositioning. I'm getting JUST about every channel except maybe one or two that I don't really miss. So now my Voom is complete. I may need to tweak my OTA positioning abit, but thats it. Whats a normal OTA level? Anyway, ya, its a PS 9370! It was a surplus store, so it wasn't boxed or anything, just laying around. Works fine though!!! Thanks for all the help in this matter! I woulda never known what item to search for.

Happily voomin' now!
could you give us a summary of what is now working for you?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)