Ouestion about Family package

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I called Direct again and asked them to e-mail me a copy of the current Family channel list. They said they can't do that but would go over it on the phone with me. I wrote them down.

The main Cable channels are:

HLN
HGTV
FOOD
DIY
NAT GEO
SCI CHANNEL
ID
NASA
DISNEY E&W
DISNEY XD
THE HUB
SPROUT
BOOMERANG
NICK E&W
NICK JR
NICKTOONS
TEENNICK
HALLMARK
GMC
RFD
BLOOMBERG
TWC
WHT

The rest were all the religious networks, spanish stuff and a few sonics that ain't important since I get all DMX (sonic) on 3 c band satellites.

I would have been very happy with the conversation but when I told them I will be downgrading they said wait we have some free promo's for you. I said what are they? We can give a free HD DVR for only $17 more a month. Then I asked them about if it required a new contract and they said yes you will get a 2 year extension. I laughed and told them no thank you. Then they said we can give you free Cinemax if you buy HBO. I declined again and told them no thanks. They must be taught to try to suck you in an anyway. I told them when all the channels go HD and you upgrade me for free with no contracts or HD access fee's we will talk.

Last edited:
They always have account-specific discounts available. Many people would have been thrilled at the offer of a free hd-dvr, though it does require $10 HD Access monthly, and $7 DVR fee. Many have been able to get the HD fee waived for one or two years.

Either way, it sounds like your decision was made so you should be set. Did you consider the select package as well?

I called Direct again and asked them to e-mail me a copy of the current Family channel list. They said they can't do that but would go over it on the phone with me. I wrote them down.
I noticed no Fit TV (Discovery Fit) that has been posted before

I would have been very happy with the conversation but when I told them I will be downgrading they said wait we have some free promo's for you.
If you called them to add NFL Sunday Ticket or just to say Hi they have some "promos" for you ;)

They did not mention Discovery Fit so its not in the pack I guess. I'm glad the Hub is there since they have a few good shows I watch sometimes at night. I can order it on H2H but it's nice to have it on Direct too. As far as the contract goes I want it done, then at least I have the power to control Direct without ETF. Funny how they wanted to suck me into a new contract and yes the girl did mention the $440 ETF.

My biggest beefs with Direct are the contract and the rain fade I get. Overall I can live with the picture quality since I built a special inline video amp that doubles high frequency video information to nullify the soft video Direct has. The big dish is still better without any devices inline but with this device it makes Direct a lot more pleasing to the eye. I am teaching myself to just turn Direct off if big storms are rolling in and watch the bud. That way it don't upset me. Once I'm contract fee I will feel like I'm in control again. I explained why I would never get into the contract thing again to the CSR especially with the great economy right now. She actually agreed and said your very smart for getting all the details and informing yourself.

I will actually be loosing 4 channels that I occasionally watch when I downgrade thats it.. Its' not worth paying almost $40.00 a month extra for those channels. Map Master will open up other channels for me plus I will be getting into S2 Mpeg 4 later this year. It will cover some of the sports I watch by getting the feeds. So I think I will be good to go. I try to do my homework when I do something and don't like jumping into things haphazardly.

that was a heck of a deal IMO, when I got my offer of 2 FREE HD Dvrs I jumped for it, and i dont see the problem with a 2yr contract. It is like a cell phone contract.

And most cable companies do it too. If you want a special offer, they want a 24 month commitment, and if u cancel their is a ETF also. Atleast thats what TWC does in my area.

Got this switch today

If I added a separate dish for 95 or 119 what would be connected where? Ice probably knows :D

Attachments

• IM009899.JPG
    IM009899.JPG
    521.1 KB · Views: 80
on the right hand side the top 2 are for 101
bottom 2 are for 119 or 95...tehnically you can use just 18v +22k for 95 as they only use the H side

top is the outputs to the receiver

thats kinda overkill for a 1 SD receiver setup...hell this would work just as easy ;)
attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 160
that was a heck of a deal IMO, when I got my offer of 2 FREE HD Dvrs I jumped for it, and i dont see the problem with a 2yr contract. It is like a cell phone contract.

And most cable companies do it too. If you want a special offer, they want a 24 month commitment, and if u cancel their is a ETF also. Atleast thats what TWC does in my area.

I would rather be contract free. Comcast by me gives you 6 months of a special price and does not require contracts, neither does c band. I don't want to go down the road that I'm married to Direct for the rest of my life. Some people don't mind, I do. Honestly I liked the way Directv did business when USSB was around. You bought the stuff and subbed when and where you want. Thats the way it should have stayed, or at least give you that option still. :(

on the right hand side the to 2 are for 101
bottom 2 are for 119 or 95...tehnically you can use just 18v +22k for 95 as they only use the H side

top is the outputs to the receiver

thats kinda overkill for a 1 SD receiver setup...hell this would work just as easy ;)
attachment.php

So LNB A/14V would be for 101 and 22k D/18v would be for 95 or does 101 require A/14v to one LNBF out and B/18v to the second output of 101's LNBF? Then RX 1 goes to the STB.

The price was right Free :) That thing has to cost a few pennies. It even does OTA (Terr) and amplifies.

0k side is always 101....easiest way to remember
so in the above the right input would be for 101 and the left for whatever you add (119 or 95). RX output goes to the receiver. Then rerun sat setup. 3LNB for 101/119 (I dont think the newer units show only 2 LNB setups). For 95 it would be 18" + 95W

I understand its free but damn you need 4 cables into the unit. For a one receiver 1 input setup a simple 22k switch would suffice. And those can be mounted outside. Surely you have one laying around ;)
The amp I think is a power inserter. Allows you to hook the switch somewhere else and then plug it in near the receiver. Thats how my SWM setup is with Directv. The 8 way splitter is in the basement (drop ceiling) and the cables all run to the receivers. In the computer room (about 75 feet away from the splitter) I hook up the power inserter and then everything works. That switch wont work without power

Directv doesnt understand a diseqc switch....only 22k functions

so you have to plug those 2 things into the 2 ports on the switch to get 22k to work? DAMN thats a lot of crap. The 4x4 switches I use the receiver sends the 22k tone to the switch. Just search Zinwell 4x4 multiswitch. No extra power needed, no extra anything. Just hook up 4 cables in for 2 LNB's and up to 4 receivers out. Thats how my old setup was before I upgraded to HD

honestly a simple 22k switch would work fine....they're cheap :)

I may just try to use it as an OTA antenna splitter/ amplifier to feed up to 8 sources. I'll be getting the phase 2 dish from the guy soon we need to take it down. Does 95 require a 80cm dish or will an 18" pull it off with a FSS LNBF. I use a 20" dish 500 on anik (shaw) FSS and it works fine except when it rains hard. I think the EBNO on the 405 is around 7.6 or so. I'm planning on making some custom maps with map master to feed a 920 to do all the C band DC-2 feeds and only the open Anik channels on F1 ku. We have to block map updates from the birds though since Motorola's active maps will mess ours up. I want to retire the 405 eventually and this will give me the best of both worlds.Were looking at the firmware on the 920 & 922 to see how we can block updates.905's do business mode so some bit needs to be blocked in the other IRD's That bit block will be a must for any custom maps made. Lots to do still but its slowly coming together. We have a good dedicated team :)

Does 95 require a 80cm dish or will an 18" pull it off with a FSS LNBF.
I would say a 80cm. The stock International dish (101/95) is 36 wide x 24 high. I havent tried it (get 95 on the setup) so I honestly dont know. All my old receivers only do 101/110/119 (no 95)

Downgrade done!

I downgraded today and now my account shows the family pkg in it. It also shows the hub as one of the channels. I will need to wait till Monday to see if all is there because of the choice ultimate preview.

BTW anyone with a contract with rebates still if you downgrade early you will get credit on your account . I got only one day but I'm sure you will get more if you have more time left. Also ask to speak to a CSR. I said downgrade first and they hung up on me. A few tips :)

I downgraded today and now my account shows the family pkg in it. It also shows the hub as one of the channels. I will need to wait till Monday to see if all is there because of the choice ultimate preview.
cool. Can you post a list once the account is back to just Family pack so we know what is in there?
BTW anyone with a contract with rebates still if you downgrade early you will get credit on your account . I got only one day but I'm sure you will get more if you have more time left.
yep. Seen that before. I had a credit for a few months on something and I cancelled 2 weeks early. Credits still stayed and I got a prorated credit for dropping the item

cool. Can you post a list once the account is back to just Family pack so we know what is in there?

Yes I will make a list and post it. The family pack now shows up on packages on my account. (see attached)

Attachments

• PKGS.jpg
    PKGS.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 73
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts