Owned It or Not?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JayD

Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
This is my first post here and I hope I'm in the right place. DirecTV claims that I owned the R-15 DVR that was installed in 2005 under their "free portable DVD player" promotion. If this is true, why did I have to return said R-15 when it failed in 2007? Am I missing something?

Thanks,
JayD

This is my first post here and I hope I'm in the right place. DirecTV claims that I owned the R-15 DVR that was installed in 2005 under their "free portable DVD player" promotion. If this is true, why did I have to return said R-15 when it failed in 2007? Am I missing something?

Thanks,
JayD

What do you mean you had to return it when it failed? Did you send it back and not receive anything to replace it, just not sure what you're asking here.

What do you mean you had to return it when it failed? Did you send it back and not receive anything to replace it, just not sure what you're asking here.

It was replaced with a refurbished R-15. My question concerns the original R-15. It was installed under the "Free Portable DVD Player" promotion in 2005. DirecTV now claims that I owned the original R-15. I believe that I was leasing it since I did not purchase it. If I really did own it, why did I have to return it when they sent the replacement R-15?

JayD

It was replaced with a refurbished R-15. My question concerns the original R-15. It was installed under the "Free Portable DVD Player" promotion in 2005. DirecTV now claims that I owned the original R-15. I believe that I was leasing it since I did not purchase it. If I really did own it, why did I have to return it when they sent the replacement R-15?

JayD

OK, you had a R15 what broke and D* sent a replacement R15, did you have to pay anything for the replacement (besides a shipping charge)? If they just sent you a replacement for free why shouldn't they ask for the broken one back? They'll fix the broken box and send it out at some future time as someone elses replacement.

And IIRC, they didn't start the leasing program until March of 2006, so if you got it prior to then it was a purchase only, they didn't lease before then.

OK, you had a R15 what broke and D* sent a replacement R15, did you have to pay anything for the replacement (besides a shipping charge)? If they just sent you a replacement for free why shouldn't they ask for the broken one back? They'll fix the broken box and send it out at some future time as someone elses replacement.

And IIRC, they didn't start the leasing program until March of 2006, so if you got it prior to then it was a purchase only, they didn't lease before then.

Thanks Rad for your quick answer to my question. I've been reading the forums here for awhile. I knew this would be the best place to get results.

The only difference with the owned unit is if you cancel service you don't have to send it back. You can keep it for future use or sell it or gift it.

On an exchange, you always have to send the defective unit back, regardless of own/lease.

Anything activated after March 2006 is a leased unit, unless you paid "a bunch" extra to DirecTV directly.

BTW, WELCOME to SatelliteGUYS!

The only difference with the owned unit is if you cancel service you don't have to send it back. You can keep it for future use or sell it or gift it.

On an exchange, you always have to send the defective unit back, regardless of own/lease.

Anything activated after March 2006 is a leased unit, unless you paid "a bunch" extra to DirecTV directly.

BTW, WELCOME to SatelliteGUYS!

Masterdeals, thanks for the welcome and the clarification.

It's no different than if you went and bought a Samsung 61" DLP TV and it broke, Best Buy/Samsung would require you to return the old TV in order to get the new one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts