Paraclipse 3.8 on H to H mount restoration/installation

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Thank you that's good information to know I will have a look what's available on there site, hopefully it will be ok it was working last time it was used the chap just fell out with the hobby,
View attachment 128764

I did have help with dismantling it thankfully, out of all the bolts that holds the dish together only four bolts survived all the others snapped, I have a nut and bolt shop near to me no problems replacing them,

Many thanks for your kind offer hopefully I don't have to put you out but its nice to know some spares are available if needed :),

I checked through the mesh today its in good shape one little rip but ive decided to put new on from the start, ive located new mesh with smaller holes as I progress with the refurbishment I will order a roll, I have a PDF file with the size needed I will check through it nearer the time,

Another fabrication job will be replacing the dish plates with steel ones,
View attachment 128765

I will be adding inclined orbit tracking on her and wanting bearings on the pivot, drilling holes and bolting things to the aluminium plate will weaken it so new ones required.

I sent an email to Fasco and Von Weise with pictures of the unit and identification tag. An internet search yielded nothing, and the same results with Grainger. It would be nice if one or the other just happened to one in their dead stock pile and you could get it for a decent price. It's a long shot, but I've had those pan out before. I'll let you know what comes back. Cheers!

Reactions: martin-f
I sent an email to Fasco and Von Weise with pictures of the unit and identification tag. An internet search yielded nothing, and the same results with Grainger. It would be nice if one or the other just happened to one in their dead stock pile and you could get it for a decent price. It's a long shot, but I've had those pan out before. I'll let you know what comes back. Cheers!

Hi wvman many thanks for going out of your way its appreciated, I have some time on my hands later today I will put some power to the motor and see what happens I have every confidence it will work, but would still be nice to have a brand new spare/two,

I'm a bit of a magpie when it comes to quality satellite gear :biggrin, I have some nice stuff sat here from your neck of the woods,

Anyone remember the Starcast H to H ?,
Code:
https://www.trademarkia.com/starcast-73615710.html
This is another quality unit :), the other day I dropped the Thomson motor that drives it, you don't happen to have a old casing knocking around its the type with oilite bush for the magnet wheel.
IMG_0107.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: wvman
I think there is one of those in the junkyard. Can you take a picture of under the broken cover? I think Thompson was in with Saginaw too. The back of that motor resembles a Venture too.

Reactions: wvman and martin-f
I think there is one of those in the junkyard. Can you take a picture of under the broken cover? I think Thompson was in with Saginaw too. The back of that motor resembles a Venture too.

Its a Saginaw Magic static, I will post some picture up in the morning many thanks.

Hi wvman many thanks for going out of your way its appreciated, I have some time on my hands later today I will put some power to the motor and see what happens I have every confidence it will work, but would still be nice to have a brand new spare/two,

I'm a bit of a magpie when it comes to quality satellite gear :biggrin, I have some nice stuff sat here from your neck of the woods,

Anyone remember the Starcast H to H ?,
Code:
https://www.trademarkia.com/starcast-73615710.html
This is another quality unit :), the other day I dropped the Thomson motor that drives it, you don't happen to have a old casing knocking around its the type with oilite bush for the magnet wheel.
View attachment 128783

The magnet wheel doesn't fit tight in the bushing anyway. It's just a way to stabilize the wheel and shaft. I believe I have a rear cover for it. I'll look when I get home. If I do, it's yours for the asking. I'll let you know. In fact, I think I have a whole motor assembly. Never checked the motor, so it's anyone's guess if it works. I'll check it out as well.

Thompson-Saginaw used to be part of GM's steering gear department. They were great actuators. Very strong. They had a 1500lb ball drive actuator that worked great on 12 and 15 foot fiberglass dishes. :)

The magnet wheel doesn't fit tight in the bushing anyway. It's just a way to stabilize the wheel and shaft. I believe I have a rear cover for it. I'll look when I get home. If I do, it's yours for the asking. I'll let you know. In fact, I think I have a whole motor assembly. Never checked the motor, so it's anyone's guess if it works. I'll check it out as well.

Yes that's the one, many thanks motors are quite easy to repair most of the time its just brushes.

Thompson-Saginaw used to be part of GM's steering gear department. They were great actuators. Very strong. They had a 1500lb ball drive actuator that worked great on 12 and 15 foot fiberglass dishes. :)

Yes its a great motor throws the DH around like a toy, mines the very early one later models had writing on the lid, I gave it a overall recently, made new gaskets re-greased it checked brushes and armature,

Its been raining all day here so not had chance to remove it hopefully not to much waters got in, hopefully I will be able to check tomorrow.

Oh and hopefully martin-f the lower thingy on yours isn't seized like mine was. It was a bear to get unstuck without breaking it. Since it is aluminum and the shaft it rotates on is steel mine had a lot of rust between them. View attachment 128771

Ive come across things like this in the past on cars I do have ways of dealing with them,

Stripped the motor this afternoon everything was stuck as expected very pleased how its come apart :), anyone who's messed with steel bolts and aluminium will know they get stuck, you should always use lots copper slip on installation,

IMG_0170.JPG
IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG
IMG_0177.JPG
IMG_0185.JPG
IMG_0188.JPG
IMG_0193.JPG
IMG_0194.JPG
IMG_0201.JPG

The bushes now burnt was made from nylon, these will be replaced with oilite bushes,

The main spigot needs a good clean and re-tapping,

img_0194-jpg.128827

I've yet to check the motor/gearbox but have every confidence it will be ok maybe new brushes, I used to repair similar motors so its no problem if it does have any faults.

I need to replace the belt drive to chain that's no issue my son in law is manager of a company that supplies parts needed, including oilite bushes :),

img_0185-jpg.128824

I need to replace the belt drive to chain that's no issue my son in law is manager of a company that supplies parts needed,

Here's a diy DH H to H ive been making for the 2.4 channel master its still work in progress but nearly finished, he got me the chain and sprockets for this,

IMG_0196.JPG
IMG_0197.JPG
IMG_0198.JPG

beavs2112 if possible would you be so kind to measure the size of the sprockets and how many teeth they have please,

I noticed in your video full arc was 2.30, I am wanting to slow it down somewhat 3.30/4 minutes, different chain and sprockets will do the trick.

Last edited:
Stripped the motor this afternoon everything was stuck as expected very pleased how its come apart :), anyone who's messed with steel bolts and aluminium will know they get stuck, you should always use lots copper slip on installation,

View attachment 128820 View attachment 128821
View attachment 128822 View attachment 128823 View attachment 128824 View attachment 128825 View attachment 128826 View attachment 128827 View attachment 128828

The bushes now burnt was made from nylon, these will be replaced with oilite bushes,

The main spigot needs a good clean and re-tapping,

img_0194-jpg.128827

I've yet to check the motor/gearbox but have every confidence it will be ok maybe new brushes, I used to repair similar motors so its no problem if it does have any faults.

I need to replace the belt drive to chain that's no issue my son in law is manager of a company that supplies parts needed, including oilite bushes :),

img_0185-jpg.128824

Nice to have someone with access to all the goodies you need. I never sold too many H-H systems, always stuck with polar mounts. I have a small machine shop in my outbuilding. I use it to turn out bushings, cut threads and turn armatures. I used to do a lot of that, but not so much these days. Got lazy in my old age. I just buy an actuator arm when I need one, and I pick and choose which dishes I take home to avoid having to refurbish them.

I've been really lucky is my endeavors as far as getting some really pristine dishes. Hail damage is the biggest enemy around here. I actually took a Unimesh and replaced the screen with aluminum sheets used to make rain gutters. Have a friend that has a metal sheer, so cutting the wedge shaped panels wasn't much of a chore. When I paint them black, it's hard to tell at a distance, and it works quite well.

Nice to have someone with access to all the goodies you need. I never sold too many H-H systems, always stuck with polar mounts. I have a small machine shop in my outbuilding. I use it to turn out bushings, cut threads and turn armatures. I used to do a lot of that, but not so much these days. Got lazy in my old age. I just buy an actuator arm when I need one, and I pick and choose which dishes I take home to avoid having to refurbish them.

I've been really lucky is my endeavors as far as getting some really pristine dishes. Hail damage is the biggest enemy around here. I actually took a Unimesh and replaced the screen with aluminum sheets used to make rain gutters. Have a friend that has a metal sheer, so cutting the wedge shaped panels wasn't much of a chore. When I paint them black, it's hard to tell at a distance, and it works quite well.

I like the H to H motors I guess you've noticed :biggrin, part of my hobby is chasing fringe reception a h to h geared correctly I can really fine tune,

My workshop is in the making ive bought most things just need a lathe/milling machine now,

Problem we have in the UK is getting quality new gear, there isn't any its all rubbish, all the good stuff is over your way,

Prices are ok but once shipping is added its a fortune, so you do without or make your own, most peeps sit on the fence and moan, others get of there backside and spend money on tools learn new skills and make there own :),

I'm a few years younger than you 50 and enjoy making things its so rewarding once complete as you will know more than me :),

I would love to see some of your fabrication work I really enjoy looking what peeps make, if you have any links I would love to look through them :).

beavs2112 if possible would you be so kind to measure the size of the sprockets and how many teeth they have please,I noticed in your video full arc was 2.30, I am wanting to slow it down somewhat 3.30/4 minutes, different chain and sprockets will do the trick.
Sadly martin its up on a pole 12 feet in the air beside my house. Um If memory serves there are only like 6-7 teeth on the metal drive sprocket and the 2 plastic idler ones.
WP_20150823_002.jpg
I'll see what I can do.

Sadly martin its up on a pole 12 feet in the air beside my house. Um If memory serves there are only like 6-7 teeth on the metal drive sprocket and the 2 plastic idler ones.
View attachment 128865
I'll see what I can do.

Hi Kevin many thanks, there's is a formula for working it out if your clever enough I'm not :shh, last time I did it the easy way, checked full rotation time of gearbox and motor, then put the sprocket in the chain checked the travel length of a full turn then divided by the length of the chain,

I will do the same this time my friend its quite easy when you have the parts in front of you, many thanks :)

Hi Kevin, what dish did you install on this motor in the end, any pictures please :).
A Winegard Pinnacle 3.0m (10 foot) Perforated Aluminum custom mounted to the Paraclypse H-H. Its only setup for C-band at the moment. I also added a counterweight which I found really helped ease the strain on the motor at the ends of the arc.
Plans for the spring are to take this assembly down off the pole. I have a lead on a Andrews (now Raven) 3.0M (10 foot) spun aluminum solid dish for $200 Canadian here in town that's not in use 20170930_162203.jpg and want to try my hand with that dish at ku on the Paraclypse H-H.
20171021_142514.jpg 20171021_142703.jpg 20171021_142719.jpg

Thank you Kevin, two lovely looking dishes you have there :), the spun dish should do well in Ku band my DH does very well,

I might install a counter balance on the Paraclipse, I will see how it goes pulling from the ends of the arc before I make a decision.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)