Pause LIVE TV in ANY Room?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jpreston

Original poster
May 3, 2014
Detroit Suburbs
Guys I'm guessing that this has been covered but I can not find the answer...

So seeing that Comcast X1 is a MESS and I have to reset boxes every night with the HOPE of watching TV my wife has declared that it is time to go back to DirecTV. Prior to leaving we had a Genie in the living room and another HD DVR (HR24 I think) in the den so that we could pause live TV in both locations. Does the Genie with the "mini" genie allow me to pause LIVE TV from ALL the rooms or only the room that the Genie is setup in?

If I can only pause live TV in the room that the Genie is in does anyone know if it is possible to get two Genies? This is important so that we can have the sports on in the den and whatever going on in the living room... Thanks ahead of time for any help!

So seeing that Comcast X1 is a MESS and I have to reset boxes every night with the HOPE of watching TV my wife has declared that it is time to go back to DirecTV. Prior to leaving we had a Genie in the living room and another HD DVR (HR24 I think) in the den so that we could pause live TV in both locations. Does the Genie with the "mini" genie allow me to pause LIVE TV from ALL the rooms or only the room that the Genie is setup in?

If I can only pause live TV in the room that the Genie is in does anyone know if it is possible to get two Genies? This is important so that we can have the sports on in the den and whatever going on in the living room... Thanks ahead of time for any help!
Not having any Clients, I can't officially answer your first question (I think the answer is Yes you can pause with the Clients).
The second question, No you are not allowed more than one Genie as of this time, I don't see this happening any time soon either.

Yes. You can pause and anything else a dvr can do as it is connected to your HR44 or 34 via coax or wireless.

Doesn't work for me. I can play/pause/rewind/ff recordings on the Genie from the clients, but can't do anything with live TV on the clients. The Genie is the only box I can do things with live TV.

Are you using client or receiver? Sounds like receiver.

if its an hd receiver, you can record to the genie, then pause it
its just 1 extra step

i would recommend getting a receiver or preferably another dvr instead of a client
until there is a tuner in the client, its worthless

The client I have is not used very much and is wired.
It's very responsive. It's on par with the H24 it replaced and gives me a full function dvr.

Doesn't work for me. I can play/pause/rewind/ff recordings on the Genie from the clients, but can't do anything with live TV on the clients. The Genie is the only box I can do things with live TV.

You must have the HR34 that happened a lot with mine.

I have the HR34-700, two H25-100, and one H25-500. So there's something different that allows pause, rewind, etc of live TV on the non-DVR units? I thought all the Genie stuff worked the same.

I have the HR34-700, two H25-100, and one H25-500. So there's something different that allows pause, rewind, etc of live TV on the non-DVR units? I thought all the Genie stuff worked the same.
the h25 has a tuner of its own for live tv. to pause/rewind/ect you must start recording first.
since the client uses a tuner from the genie it is already buffered and does not need to.

for pre-recorded content they should work the same

The Mini's have all the functions of the Genie except PIP as they can't control two Genie turners at the same time.

But I would go back to what you had, as I'm not a fan of putting all your eggs in one basket. Mini's are totally useless without a working Genie. Genie down, your whole DirecTV network is down until the Genie is fixed with a Mini.

The Mini's have all the functions of the Genie except PIP as they can't control two Genie turners at the same time.

But I would go back to what you had, as I'm not a fan of putting all your eggs in one basket. Mini's are totally useless without a working Genie. Genie down, your whole DirecTV network is down until the Genie is fixed with a Mini.

That's one good reason to not get a client and get an HR-24 along with your Genie. And if you had a Genie and HR24 previously, your wife might expect things to work as they had in the past, and may not be happy with the decision to get a client. Besides having another two tuners and the ability to record seven programs at once, having another DVR also gives you a way to have two separate lists of recorded programs almost like two folders. Thus keeping your recordings separate from your wife's or kids.

I have a genie and two clients, and they have worked flawlessly since installation. The five tuners from the genie have been more than sufficient for our three person household. Just my two cents.
Sent from my Lumia Icon using Tapatalk.

I have a geni as well and 3 clients. All pause and have full DVR functionality from any tv. I also have an additional DVR just in case if the geni ever went out. I fully recommend this so that way if it ever did happen you still have a way to watch some tv. IF the geni goes, the clients cant watch TV until a working geni is in place.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)