PC Owners Thread

So remember last week when Nvidia released drivers that caused instability to the point of damaging hardware? Well, a new driver set has been released!

Sadly it's just as bad as the last set...

http://www.destructoid.com/the-new-nvidia-drivers-are-crashing-systems-again-348508.phtml#post

I've been using this one since the day it came out. I haven't had any issues with it but I didn't actually have any issues before rolling back after the last drivers were reportedly bad.

I suppose I could roll back again but these drivers made huge difference in performance for The Division for me and I haven't experienced any problems. I think I'm just going to leave it how it is.

I haven't been affected because I rarely update my drivers. I don't do it until I have to. I think the last time I did was for The Division beta. And at this point I don't see updating them improving my video performance of Mass Effect.

Yeah, it really depends on what kinds of games you are playing. They obviously were done making improvements for Mass Effect years ago. If you are playing newer games, especially with SLI, having the latest drivers can make a huge difference. There are some games, like Fallout 4, where SLI didn't even work until you downloaded the Game Ready drivers.

In The Division on the old drivers I got 60 FPS at 1440p most of the time but I would drop to the low 40s randomly. On the current drivers I'm at 60 FPS all the time with the same settings.

Luckily I have never had Nvidia drivers cause any problems for my PC. Since my previous card was AMD I have some experience with both sides. AMD drivers didn't really cause problems for me either but they were much slower than Nvidia about putting out drivers with tweaks for new games. Nvidia has their drivers ready on day one, if not a couple days early, for pretty much every big release. It wasn't uncommon for AMD to take 2+ weeks after release to push out their tweaks.

Yeah the last card I had that wasn't Nvidia was I believe an ATI Diamond 16 MB card, so I don't have a lot of experience. I mainly stuck with Nvidia because they seemed to be more stable and timely with releases, although they were also more expensive generally.

The staggered PC release is bizarre, interested in trying it myself on a 980 ti.

Initial commotion was from a guy testing on a laptop who never installed the last round if drivers, but I'm sure more have it now.

Was finally able to download killer instinct on PC but a bug with the current preview of Windows 10 has prevented me from trying it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Well it looks like Quantum Break for PC is having some, issues..

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4dfu56/quantum_break_on_the_pc_appears_to_be_another/

In addition, it appears that if you did the preorder for the One, you don't get a PC code immediately. You have to wait 7-10 days.

The staggered PC release is bizarre, interested in trying it myself on a 980 ti.

Initial commotion was from a guy testing on a laptop who never installed the last round if drivers, but I'm sure more have it now.

Looks like the reddit thread came because of this Tweet.

Which is weird because it was followed up with this Tweet an hour and a half later.

Was finally able to download killer instinct on PC but a bug with the current preview of Windows 10 has prevented me from trying it.

I downloaded it the day it was made available on PC. I have probably played 4 or 5 hours. Currently Windows 10 Store games don't allow SLI in addition to other things PC gamers are used to. Since I play on a 2560x1440 monitor I wasn't sure how well the game would run without SLI. Luckily it runs great on a single 970 even at higher resolutions. I haven't seen a single dip below 60 FPS.

I got to play a few rounds of Overwatch during the stress test beta that is going on this weekend. This game has been compared to Battleborn a lot because they are both hero based, bright and colorful shooters. They obviously see themselves as competitors too. Blizzard decided to launch the Overwatch open beta on May 3rd, which is Battleborn's retail launch date. In response Battleborn Tweeted this at the Overwatch Twitter account.

I'm not sure it's smart of Gearbox to align themselves as Blizzard's competition. Blizzard is a juggernaut and I don't think there is any question that Overwatch will crush Battleborn in terms of sales.

Also, these aren't even really the same type of game. Battleborn is a FPS MOBA. Their competition is really other MOBAs like Paragon, Gigantic, Lawbreakers, and Smite. Overwatch is not a MOBA. There are no creeps, mercenaries, towers, or lanes. The only real similarity is that you choose from a big list of heroes to play from with unique abilities and ultimates. Overwatch has a lot more in common with Team Fortress 2 than it does with Battleborn or any other MOBA.

I put a lot more time in with the Battleborn Alpha than I have with Overwatch so far. I didn't get access to Overwatch until yesterday and I'm too busy with work to really sink my teeth into it right now. From what I have seen so far I strongly prefer what Overwatch has to offer and I'm looking forward to the open beta starting up in a couple weeks. I'm not all that interested in the competitive multiplayer portion of Battleborn, even though I actually like some MOBAs. The campaign is going to have to be good for me to care about Battleborn.

This made me laugh..

RWsINUZ.jpg

Yeah, I was looking through my Steam library a couple days ago and there are titles in there I would have sworn I'd never even heard of. When I see deals on GMG, GOG, Humble, etc I often have to check my Steam library to see if I already own it or not. There have been a surprising amount of games I almost purchased that I already owned.

If you're playing Dark Souls 3 on PC be careful. The game is being overrun by hackers and cheaters and you easily stand to be banned from the game for doing nothing wrong than having them in your game. And From Software and Namco Bandai are basically telling people to not accept any traded items and play offline, which hurts the overall game experience. May want to hold off until this stuff is sorted out, although unfortunately this is a problems that has its roots back in Dark Souls 2.

Strangely, in my 10 hours of Dark Souls 1 I have yet to be invaded by other players. I have read that this can be a pretty terrible experience depending on how long it has been since you were last at a bonfire. If being invaded by a player who is cheating can cause you to be banned it's even more of a pain in the ass.

If it weren't for the helpful notes left by other players I would probably be playing Dark Souls offline just so I don't have to worry about being invaded. It sounds like a dumb system in a game that is already hard enough without it to me. Like I said, it hasn't been a problem for me so far. On the positive side, you can also summon other players to help you with boss fights but I haven't had to resort to that so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)