This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

PC to HDTV problems

Perhaps you selected PnP driver what required DDC/I2C connection.
Choose other one, like Generic, something dumb enough.

In the display properties to Advanced->Monitor->Properties->Driver->Driver Details I get:

"No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device"

Do I try installing something else?

I tried "Generic television" and "VGA 640*480", nothing new.

By the way should I have 1 or 2 items in the "Monitors" selection in the system manager?

Then use Generic TV driver, because DevMgr will never find your TV as not PnP capable ( for now ), so you should manually config 2nd monitor regardless what DevMgr found. Your video config will be based on 2nd output of your video card, not on monitor's presence. So stick with video setup only.

Hmm, I never saw 2 of those, so apparently when I switched to "Generic television" and "vga 640*480", I was changing the driver of the Asus monitor.

If nothing appears when I plug the TV, then I should manually add a new monitor from the "Add Hardware" in the control panel right?

No, you don't need to do that; Display Properties:Settings should have second display because of two outputs from your video card; then click on second [2], click Advanced, then Monitor tab, Properties-> Driver, Update, No, Install from specific, Don't search,uncheck Show compatible, select Generic Television ...
See if it works that way. If not - check the second output from video card and the cable with different monitor or TV.

Thank you so much for your guided help. I'll try it as soon as I get home today.

None of the above worked.

I'll try to get another monitor and see dual monitors works.

By the way I I drivers, and I was able to get to Windows without losing the signal on the TV, but the resolution is really bad (because there are no drivers installed). I don't know if this means anything.

Straight idea - connect the cable from your primary monitor during normal session while you know for sure you did setup 1920x1080x60 - ie do hot swap DVI cable from your PC monitor to your TV.

Straight idea - connect the cable from your primary monitor during normal session while you know for sure you did setup 1920x1080x60 - ie do hot swap DVI cable from your PC monitor to your TV.

No luck. I see now why console gamers hate PCs. They just don
t want to deal with all this

Update: I got another TV (Sharp 32" 720p), set the resolution to 1280x720/60Hz on my PC, and connected it to the TV using a DVI->HDMI cable and it worked like a charm.

So the problem now is the 42" Philips..

Edit: sofMCCS also says that DDC/CI is not supported for the SHARP TV, so that's not the problem

Last edited:
Little note: as soon you use DVI-HDMI cable or dongle, you're lost DVI-analog signal, presume it's there. HDMI standard is totally digital, while DVI connector with proper DVI cable can cary separate analog [RGB] signal. Check all DVI connector ( source, target, cable, switch ) for four pins adjusted to separate wide blade (groung) inside of all DVI connector(s) in a chain.

Can it still be a cable/dongle problem although the SHARP TV was fine?

I'm not sure I understood what you said here. So a DVI can carry digital and analog. But since the SHARP is fine, it means the digital signal on that dongle is fine right?

There are no "4 pins" in the DVI->HDMI dongle. It's like that:
3x3pins, then 2x3 empty, then 3x3pins, then the blade with nothing around it

Kind of like this:

\ \ \ . . \ \ \
\ \ \ . . \ \ \ ------
\ \ \ . . \ \ \