Status
Please reply by conversation.

trinidex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 16, 2004
Hey guys,

So we all know NPS are planning to pull the plug on some of their G3 uplinks - TNT being one of those.

My wife has to have her Bones and Law & Order which is daily at the moment.

Looking for suggestions on where else we might get these shows on the big dish.

TIA

My advise is to write to Turner Broadcasting and share your thoughts. TBS was an early pioneer of C Band distribution and I think they need to go back to there roots.

Might want to check there web site I know some channel will let you watch older episodes for free. I watch syfy online most new episodes take a week or two before they offer them for free.

Pizza has become the new accepted form of pay tv distribution. The programmers don't need us anymore because pizza fills the subscription numbers. It stinks but we really can't change there minds, all there interested in are the numbers they get from pizza.

I'd go Cable before I went Pizza, but then I live in an area where I can get it, and some times the area ends at the street, they guy who built on the next street over, his back yard boardered mine, they told him it was not available in his area, the hook up is in the back yard.
Anyway I have comcast's smallest tv package I have their internet for my business, they gave me a discount if I went with the tv package, I get TNT in that package, actually I get a lot of channels in the package, cost after discount $3.00 a month, then I have vonage for phone, that saves me another $25.00 a month, cable is a good supliment to my 4Dtv.
Terry

Go to ninjavideo or to another place that streams. Most of the new shows are there like "Justified" and in great quality. I go there and choose the divix format and download the show for viewing. It takes me about 15 minutes to download the show but one can stream if they want to. I also do the Netflix thing which has streaming included in their packages. All jokes aside, if I was a "pizza pan" provider, I would be more worried about the internet eating into my customer base as that seems to be the wave of the future. Have a great day!

All jokes aside, if I was a "pizza pan" provider, I would be more worried about the internet eating into my customer base as that seems to be the wave of the future. Have a great day!

You're not wrong there!

if I was a "pizza pan" provider, I would be more worried about the internet eating into my customer base as that seems to be the wave of the future.
Pizza shouldn't be too worried just yet. There are still many areas (including right here) that dial-up is the only internet connection available,
and probably will be for the forseeable future. :eek:

Have you looked into sat. internet?
They have decent download speed, slow upload.
Terry
I have been researching that option, but the reviews are either really good or really bad, so I haven't pursued it any further just yet. The kicker is that 1.5mb DSL is next door at my brother's house, but they (the telco) said it won't work here... and not for a lack of trying either- they even left a 4 ethernet port wireless modem sittin' right here, still connected to everything, but after 2 work orders and several phone calls, they thought it would work
(one tech said it definitely would) and nothing.
The whole thing makes absolutely no sense to me.
(Sorry for straying off-topic here) :eek:

just the like song Video killer the radio star, Pizza is killing the 4DTV subs

IThe kicker is that 1.5mb DSL is next door at my brother's house, but they (the telco) said it won't work here... and not for a lack of trying either- they even left a 4 ethernet port wireless modem sittin' right here, still connected to everything, but after 2 work orders and several phone calls, they thought it would work

Sounds like they may be feeding your line via a longer route or like by me all the phone lines are shot and AT&T don't want to spend any money to fix it right. I went through living hell trying to get my DSL to work right. I finally had the broadband tech and cable tech get together and run me a dedicated 550 foot line direct from the main cable right out of the ground going back to the central office. I had to tell them what to do, most of the yahoo's they sent out here screwed up thing worse. They still need to spend the 70 grand to replace the main trunk line but that won't happen till Uverse and fiber hits my neighborhood.

Had Direcway/Hughes Sat internet for 7 years and it's only good as a last resort for 60 plus tax a month. It has a Fair access policy FAP starts at 160 meg a day and gets bigger the more you pay. Go over you FAP limit and your at dailup speed for 24hrs they do offer unlimited download from 2am-5am eastern time. Download speeds average 75kb upload 15kb weather effects you or the uplink center you'll have no internet. I'm back to dailup but saving 50 bucks a month now.

I have been researching that option, but the reviews are either really good or really bad, so I haven't pursued it any further just yet. The kicker is that 1.5mb DSL is next door at my brother's house, but they (the telco) said it won't work here... and not for a lack of trying either- they even left a 4 ethernet port wireless modem sittin' right here, still connected to everything, but after 2 work orders and several phone calls, they thought it would work

Well take that router and get some cable. If I was in that boat with a neighbor that had it, I would be running cable to their place and offering to split the bill! You coulg try doing it wireless, but I have not had much luck with that and wound up running cat cable to the living room. Have a great day!
NOTE: To keep kinda back to topic, TNT shows can be had by streaming making the loss not so bad. He he he.

Straying but... if your brother is next door with DSL you could link to him, depending on distance between you 2 you might get away with standard CAT5 ethernet (100m) or you could invest in a DSL bridge kit that uses a copper pair to link 2 locations.

I live in the sticks too and there is no DSL (BellSouth/AT&T don't give a rats ass about us country dwellers) anyhow, I considered Satellite internet, but settled on USB internet adapter from my cell phone provider, Alltel. I get fair download throughput, usually about 300-350 kbps. It is fast enough to watch Netflix streaming. I watched Flatliners last night, it only stopped once during movie to catch up, for about 30 seconds.

Don't think that Hughes/WildBlue is only option, most cell phone providers have same option, for same price, plus no leased equipment, etc. I did have to sign 1 year agreement, but when Starz sub runs out, it will help pay for this. So far so good, BTW, I live 6 miles from cell tower.

Status
Please reply by conversation.