Personal Computer Game News

Total Biscuit has been talking to some indie developers about the Steam Refunds and whether or not they're hurting them like a few studios have claimed it has.

Total Biscuit has been talking to some indie developers about the Steam Refunds and whether or not they're hurting them like a few studios have claimed it has.

Here is a tweet I saw a few days ago about this. This guy is one of the developers who made Octodad. He claims that almost all of the refunds requested were from people who bought the game when it was on sale months ago. It seems like Steam is going well beyond the 14 day window they said they would follow.

Yes it's good for consumers if people can refund broken products but people were obviously going to abuse the system. What is to stop someone from buying and installing Arkham Knight and then putting Steam into offline mode?

I'm assuming it wouldn't be that hard to beat a game like that during the 14 day window and then remove all traces of it from your PC before putting Steam back in online mode. It would show as 0 hours played and you could get a refund for having less than 2 hours of playtime and requesting the refund within 14 days of purchase.

Here is a tweet I saw a few days ago about this. This guy is one of the developers who made Octodad. He claims that almost all of the refunds requested were from people who bought the game when it was on sale months ago. It seems like Steam is going well beyond the 14 day window they said they would follow.

Yes it's good for consumers if people can refund broken products but people were obviously going to abuse the system. What is to stop someone from buying and installing Arkham Knight and then putting Steam into offline mode?

I'm assuming it wouldn't be that hard to beat a game like that during the 14 day window and then remove all traces of it from your PC before putting Steam back in online mode. It would show as 0 hours played and you could get a refund for having less than 2 hours of playtime and requesting the refund within 14 days of purchase.

As far as Octodad goes, some developers have mentioned that some refunds fell outside the 14 day window. I'm sure Valve will resolve that soon. Also, as far as the offline trick goes, I have to believe that Valve has thought of that scenario and has configured Steam appropriately. Finally, as many people have pointed out, if someone really wants to play games for free, the VAST majority are not going to bother with the hassle of the Steam refund system. Yeah it's relatively easy, but there's always the chance a refund request will be rejected, not to mention the delay to get your money back. If you want to play a game for free, you're going to just pirate it because piracy is so simple.

I think that the "fear" that indie devs are going to suffer from this policy is very overblown, and the article posted on DSOG was from a developer who made a quick mobile port (a genre that most Steam players don't like) and the game has a negative overall review. I think really that this is going to increase overall sales for indie devs and even AAA. The fact that games can now be returned will make people more likely to try out new games since they know they won't be stuck with it if they don't like it. And yeah, there's always that group that will abuse the system, but I think Valve will monitor people to do their best that this won't be abused, and overall the increased sales will overcome that. People are also forgetting that this can also help clean up Steam a bit. Currently there's a big problem with shady developers who are simply buying Unity asset sets, making little to no changes to them, and then selling them as full games, which is making the already awful throwing grounds of Greenlight and Early Access even worse (if that were possible.) If you don't know what I'm talking about, Jim Sterling goes into the practice quite well here:

And let's not forget that thanks to this system, publishers will now have to think twice about rolling out broken pieces of garbage like AC: Unity and Aliens: Colonial Marines. Overall though, it's simply just to early to tell the definite impact of this new system. I mean hell, it hasn't even been out for a week at this point.

A note: This will ONLY work on a Windows 10 PC.

That's a very odd choice by Microsoft since the Xbox One controller does have drivers for older versions of Windows if you plug in a USB cable. I've tested it myself on Windows 8.1 and it worked perfectly except for the fact that I want my controller to be wireless. I can't imagine that this wireless dongle has any technology that Windows 7 and 8.1 couldn't drive.

Just platforms they have little interest supporting going forward imo. Makes sense to me. Little reason for people to not opt to just move to 10 anyways, especially gamers.

Just platforms they have little interest supporting going forward imo. Makes sense to me. Little reason for people to not opt to just move to 10 anyways, especially gamers.

I'm definitely going to upgrade once DirectX 12 games start hitting the market. I don't see the point of doing it before then though. I want to make sure it doesn't cause problems for games or Nvidia's GPU drivers before I make the upgrade. If there are issues I'm sure they will be fixed before I upgrade.

I know lots of people have been beta testing it for a long time and it sounds like everything is working pretty well. Still it can't hurt to wait a couple months after the actual release.

I've been using it since the technical preview was released, only rolled back to 8.1 recently because there are no GTX 980Ti drivers. My GTX 980 worked great. Literally no problems outside of OS UI tweaks as they wrap up work.

Excited for the new Xbox app and cross buy/play.

I've been using it since the technical preview was released, only rolled back to 8.1 recently because there are no GTX 980Ti drivers. My GTX 980 worked great. Literally no problems outside of OS UI tweaks as they wrap up work.

Excited for the new Xbox app and cross buy/play.

Wow! A 980 and a 980Ti? That's some fast (and high end) upgrading. I hope you at least got some decent resale value out of the 980.

I got a refund on my 980 at Fry's on the 30th day of the 30 day return policy, determined to get a Ti from whoever locally got one first. The guy who came to inspect it and make sure I wasn't returning a fake took several minutes to come up front... Because he'd just unloaded their first shipment of EVGA 980Ti SC editions. Score.

Have my sights set on a 1440p 21:9 monitor next, but wife will probably make me wait until after we move next year for that.

They're just giving people another reason to move on. I'm actually psyched for Windows 10 and will definitely be upgrading, but likely not until 2016 once MS gets a bunch of the big bugs ironed out. My Windows 7 installation is getting a little long in the tooth. Overall it runs well on my SSD but it's just a clone from my old HDD so I never got to do a "clean" install. And as king3pj mentioned, the DirectX 12 drivers should make things better as well.

So it looks like Steam has some interesting reasons for requesting a refund..

PBouBjg.png

Super Nintendo Classic - Avail Sept 29

GameStop is bringing back game rentals (Seriously)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)