Personal Computer Game News

In a surprising move, Star Wars: KOTOR II has been updated recently for PC, to include MAC/SteamOS support, 4K & 5K visual support, Controller support, Steam Workshop support, and finally it looks like it has the big content patch of The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod already included. It's on sale for 25% off but if $7.49 is too much I'm sure you can get it eventually on sale for cheaper.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/208580/

I don't suppose anyone has a spare PC code for KOTOR I. I bought the Android version a few months ago on sale for $3. Unfortunately, it wouldn't run on my tablet -- through no fault of my tablet's specs. Thankfully Amazon refunded my coin. Unlike most Android games I collect, I was seriously interested in playing KOTOR since I never had a chance when it originally came out -- not being into video games at the time.

I don't suppose anyone has a spare PC code for KOTOR I. I bought the Android version a few months ago on sale for $3. Unfortunately, it wouldn't run on my tablet -- through no fault of my tablet's specs. Thankfully Amazon refunded my coin. Unlike most Android games I collect, I was seriously interested in playing KOTOR since I never had a chance when it originally came out -- not being into video games at the time.
Are you looking for KOTOR I or 2? I have a key for 2 but not for 1.

Are you looking for KOTOR I or 2? I have a key for 2 but not for 1.

I was looking for KOTOR I, but I'll gratefully take a key for KOTOR II if you have one to spare. Though I assume the experience would be better if one plays KOTOR I first, like many games with sequels, I imagine the games can be played out of order. Thanks!

Five Nights At Freddy's 4 was released yesterday. I don't know if I quite agree with the developer's marketing strategy of "Let's just throw this up there when I'm done with it" as opposed to at least putting a release date up, but whatever.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/388090/

Edit: My mistake: The creator mentioned a while back that the game would be released on Halloween. Apparently Halloween has been moved to July 23. Damn. Good thing my kids didn't find out about this.

In case you were curious, this is what you look like as a baby in Fallout 3..

VwvrhkQ.jpg

In a surprising move (especially given the state of PC gaming nowadays) Konami has announced that they're pushing UP the release date of MGS 5: Phantom Pain to September 1, giving it the same release date as its console counterparts.

In a surprising move (especially given the state of PC gaming nowadays) Konami has announced that they're pushing UP the release date of MGS 5: Phantom Pain to September 1, giving it the same release date as its console counterparts.

I almost started playing Ground Zeros (my first Metal Gear game) last night. I got it download and fired up and then my power went out right after the very long opening cutscene. I figure it's worth a try since I got it free on both PS4 and Xbox One. That way I know if I should bother wasting my money and time on The Phantom Pain.

I still haven't played any of the other games in the series so I doubt I am going to like jumping into a complex story on the 5th game in the franchise but we'll see.

I almost started playing Ground Zeros (my first Metal Gear game) last night. I got it download and fired up and then my power went out right after the very long opening cutscene. I figure it's worth a try since I got it free on both PS4 and Xbox One. That way I know if I should bother wasting my money and time on The Phantom Pain.

I still haven't played any of the other games in the series so I doubt I am going to like jumping into a complex story on the 5th game in the franchise but we'll see.
Honestly the main story of the Metal Gear series isn't THAT complex. When you boil it down to the basics it's actually rather easy to follow. It becomes harder when you throw in all these ancillary characters who have their own interactions with each other that are tangentially related to the main story but don't really move it forward in any meaningful way that people get confused, not to mention the fact that this is a series of games that started in 1987 and spans 10 games, which makes it hard to remember all the details and nuances of each. In any case my point is that you shouldn't choose to not play MGS V: PP because you're worried about being lost in the story. Granted, from a timeline perspective this is episode 5 in 10, but that does mean that you don't need to know about anything starting from Metal Gear onward, which is the bulk of the story.

If you want to get up to speed I highly recommend watching this series of videos I found on YouTube. They condense the series down to what you really need to know and keep it down to the overarching story, and even reminded me of a number of things that I forgot about with the story as it had been so long since I played. It'll take you around an hour to watch. You only need to watch the first 6 videos, and I think its worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqU3_cfWaeY2DT7imScZKA3_PZJHRfdzy

Honestly the main story of the Metal Gear series isn't THAT complex. When you boil it down to the basics it's actually rather easy to follow. It becomes harder when you throw in all these ancillary characters who have their own interactions with each other that are tangentially related to the main story but don't really move it forward in any meaningful way that people get confused, not to mention the fact that this is a series of games that started in 1987 and spans 10 games, which makes it hard to remember all the details and nuances of each. In any case my point is that you shouldn't choose to not play MGS V: PP because you're worried about being lost in the story. Granted, from a timeline perspective this is episode 5 in 10, but that does mean that you don't need to know about anything starting from Metal Gear onward, which is the bulk of the story.

If you want to get up to speed I highly recommend watching this series of videos I found on YouTube. They condense the series down to what you really need to know and keep it down to the overarching story, and even reminded me of a number of things that I forgot about with the story as it had been so long since I played. It'll take you around an hour to watch. You only need to watch the first 6 videos, and I think its worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqU3_cfWaeY2DT7imScZKA3_PZJHRfdzy

If I ever do decide to play Phantom Pain I'll check out some videos like that one first.

Last edited:
Speaking of MGS V the system requirements for PC have been released.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pains-system-requir/1100-6429421/

According to this, my i5-2500k processor is below system requirements. Not that it's a big deal since I'll be using the PS4 version anyways from Gamefly.

I think developers tend to overstate the required CPUs. I often see games list an i5 as their minimum CPU and an i7 as their recommended one. This never actually means anything in the real world though. If you look at benchmarks you will see that an i7 has no advantage over an i5 of the same generation for gaming. The FPS is either identical or very close to identical. Hyperthreading just doesn't work for gaming so the big thing that differentiates an i7 from an i5 is irrelevant.

I'll say this. I have an i5-4690k and even with two GTX 970s in SLI the GPU is always the bottleneck in my system. I know this because if I run HWInfo I can see that games can max out the core load on both GPUs but I've never seen the core load on my CPUs go above 65%.

Obviously I have no actual evidence of this but my guess would be that the game would run fine on your i5-2500k.

Yeah I'm not too worried, but as I said I'll be running this on a console. I don't see myself playing the game more than once and it'll be coming via Gamefly. I'm curious to see how the hell this game is supposed to run on the PS3/360.​

Here's "footage" of the new Mirror's Edge game... Don't blink or you might miss it:

That is one game I wish I still had Gamefly for. I enjoyed the first game and I want to play this. I have a feeling it will be a short experience though. There is no way I'm paying anywhere near $60 for it so it could be a while before I get to play it.

I still don't see myself adding back Gamefly anytime soon. I own so many games I still want to play. When I subscribe to Gamefly I find myself only playing Gamefly games so I feel like I'm getting my money's worth out of the subscription. I think I'm better off just waiting for deals on new games and playing the ones I already own first.

This had led to me paying full price for games more often since canceling though. There are still some games I just can't wait for.

I had cancelled mine for a while, but after E3 I saw so much cool stuff that I figured I may as well just add it back. It did suck that I lost all my benefits and I need to earn them back (discounts, etc) but given I have 7 games in it through the end of the year it definitely saves me money. And one other cool perk is the ability to rent movies as well. I'm expecting John Wick next week as well as Rare Replay this week.

I had cancelled mine for a while, but after E3 I saw so much cool stuff that I figured I may as well just add it back. It did suck that I lost all my benefits and I need to earn them back (discounts, etc) but given I have 7 games in it through the end of the year it definitely saves me money. And one other cool perk is the ability to rent movies as well. I'm expecting John Wick next week as well as Rare Replay this week.

Another big part of it for me is that I want to use my PC. I have grown to really like both of my consoles for different reasons but I have a beastly PC and I want to play my AAA multiplatform games there. If it was possible to rent PC games I would be much more likely to get back on board. That won't happen with the way PC installs work though.

I still regret renting Dragon Age: Inquisition on PS4 instead of just buying it on PC. It took me about 3 months to beat and I saw it on sale for $40 several times while I still had my rental copy. I actually ended up paying more to rent a lesser version and now I can't play the DLC that I would have bought on day one unless I buy the game. I came close to buying the PC version for $20 just to play the DLC. If I could have carried my choices over from the PS4 version I would have done that but it's hard for me to justify switching platforms and saying goodbye to a 70+ hour save.

I have other examples of games I wish I owned for a second playthrough like InFamous Second Son but Dragon Age is the one that really stands out. If I were ever to sign up again I would only want to use it for single player games I can finish in a month or less. Anything longer than that and I can get the game on sale for the same or less after a couple months. I would also only want to rent games I'm pretty sure I would only want to play once and games that aren't going to have compelling story DLC.

Super Nintendo Classic - Avail Sept 29

GameStop is bringing back game rentals (Seriously)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts