pics of the dish farm...post yours too :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
8' Orbitron - 99.0W
10' Unimesh - 91.0W
10' Winegard Pinnacle - 121.0W
10' Winegard Pinnacle - 107.3W
10' Unimesh - 101.0W
1.0M Channel Master - 97.0W
Channel Master - 95.0W
Fortec Star - 83.0W
8' Unimesh - 97.0W 20130806_185805.jpg

Hopefully no one drives drunk on your street....
Bang... no more farm.
Don't think anyone would be that stupid. To do that they'd drive right past the #2 Deputy Sheriff's car(next door neighbor) and another deputy a block away around the corner.

Well, some people are that dumb.... One that burglarized my place got caught when he went into a Fire Station and stole phones and radios that had built-in GPRS (GPS) and drove off with them. He only got a little way until dispatch got alarms and sent out 7 cars to intercept him. Only got two years out of it. (Just as a co-incidence the company that supplied the radios to the Fire/PD was owned by my Great-nephew - and this occurred over 250 miles from my place.) --Back to topic.

Pictures of hidden dishes at my house

Within the last year, my wife and I built a new home. CC&Rs said no dishes visible from the street. We have a corner lot so it was going to be a bit challenging (fun). We worked with the architect and had a fake window with acrylic glazing designed into the front of the house within the garage attic. Had him lower the roof by four feet so we could aim a dish from the (small) backyard. So here are the pictures - The first is of the house with "window over garage, 2nd and 3rd show the Dish Network 1K2 dish behind the "window" aimed at 110,119,129W sats, the 4th shows the back yard with a 1.2 meter on a pole with motor, and a 90cm mounted on the roof aimed at 97W. lastly the 5th picture shows a 1.2 meter on the side of the house aimed at odd skewed 103W. I pulled in over 2500 feet of RG6 & Cat5 cable, with four coax and two LAN jacks in each room. In the end - no dishes visible from the street;)

Attachments

• House picture.jpg
    House picture.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 397
  • 2013-10-30 09.20.12.jpg
    2013-10-30 09.20.12.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 416
  • 2013-10-30 09.19.38.jpg
    2013-10-30 09.19.38.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 401
  • 2013-10-30 09.15.45.jpg
    2013-10-30 09.15.45.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 411
  • 2013-10-30 09.16.03.jpg
    2013-10-30 09.16.03.jpg
    877 KB · Views: 408
Within the last year, my wife and I built a new home. CC&Rs said no dishes visible from the street. We have a corner lot so it was going to be a bit challenging (fun). We worked with the architect and had a fake window with acrylic glazing designed into the front of the house within the garage attic. Had him lower the roof by four feet so we could aim a dish from the (small) backyard.

WOW! Nothing like building a house around your hobby! :)

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Thanks for the comments it was fun figuring out how to make it all work. Incidentally the dish behind the window has great signal.
Bob

Family Portrait - Fall 2013

Think I've got a 'work around' for the problem encountered previously.
Added a 1.0 meter to the 'family'.
attachment.php

S9 through DisEqC and 22khz switches to all but the 30 inch that's connected to a Pansat 3500SD @103W.
G-Box mover on the BUD-n-POD. Plastic jug LNB cover(UGLY!) All is NPRM 'style'. Even the BUD.

Attachments

• Farm-fall-13.jpg
    Farm-fall-13.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 547
Not exactly a farm but another seed planted... Picked up Fortec Star dish (32"??) with a SG2100, a tripod, and 5 older STBs. (4 Viewsats and a Nfusion.) Now to continue the BUD search... ;)16c6np4.jpg

Last edited:
Just throwin some pics of the farm here.All the fixed Ku dish`s are Primestars (Ch Masters),Ch Master 1.0`s and 1.2`s..There is an Andrews in there also.The 4 Cband dish`s are 2 Unimesh`s and 2 KTI`s all 4 10 footers.The last pic is the switching panel...When do we stop collecting dish`s?..When does it end..LOL..:D..

Very cool thread..

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 433
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 460
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 464
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
Reactions: hank123
.When do we stop collecting dish`s?..When does it end..LOL..:D..

Very cool thread..

Nice looking setup, especially the complex switch area.
I was up to 13 dishes at one point. It stops and shrinks down when you get a good 1.2m motorized Ku and a motorized 8' or larger dish motorized for C.
I'm down to 5 active dishes. Motorized C, Ku, 103w fixed for the weird skew, and inverted 1.2m Ku for 15w, and a motorized DTV slimline for the rare ITC DBS feed.

Last edited:
Thanks Pixl.You hit the nail on the head about when does it end.I have been thinking of motorizing a 1.2 Ch Master with a H-H Von Weise motor I picked up.Problem is it is a 133x1 gear ratio with 12 RPM`s.Need to slow it down and have many sketches I have made to manufacture what I need to do..Not really a problem but being a Toolmaker and building tooling my entire working life when it comes quitting time I am so ready to get out of there and get in the yard..The gung ho to build home projects at work after hrs is hard to do anymore..If I find a 1.8 Ch Master I will kick it up a notch and get that Von Weise built to work with a home made H-H..Will post when I do just a matter of time.

But!!! It sure is nice having all box`s tied into the switching and there is no waiting for a signal ( dish to move ) on any box !

BTW all 4 Cband dish`s are motorized...1st Cband dish travels from 55.5-137...2nd Cband dish travels from 11-87....3rd Cband dish travels from 55.5-139...4th Cband dish travels from...43-105...Have an AJAK 180 waiting to mount...2 many projects...lol..

Last edited:
hockeynut with all those dishes and you still can't find nothing on I do you like your house though and farm.

Dan Rose

Last edited:
hockeynut with all those dishes and you still can't find nothing on do you like your house though and farm.

Dan Rose
There is always something on but playing in the yard and tinkering with toys seems to be more fun than actually watching anything danristheman.!..Is a fun hobby indeed!

Updated pics of my dishes and my assistants.

The Prodelin 1.8 on the left is being rebuilt, that’s just a mock-up thingie on the front so I could see if I got the bent up arms straight enough to work.
I have no LNBF holder for it so I have to build one from scratch.

By the way, did they change the photo upload/handling app? You used to could choose from older pics you uploaded previously, now I don’t see that option.. :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_4129.jpg
    IMG_4129.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_7686.jpg
    IMG_7686.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 264
There is always something on but playing in the yard and tinkering with toys seems to be more fun than actually watching anything danristheman.!..Is a fun hobby indeed!

Spoken like a true FTA'er Jeff. You must be using high quality switches with that array. I can't imagine cheap little Diseqc switches not giving you problems.

I have to agree with Hockeynut here... Always thinking of some way to improve the setup, get faster channel switching, get better signals, it goes on and on.
It's not an expensive hobby but can take a lot of time, but it's likely therapeutic in that we are using our brains and muscles rather than sitting on the couch to accomplish something... and we can enjoy the result.

Hi Boom...Actually I am using very inexpensive Diseqc switch`s...After trying out many Diseqc switch`s I have found that the fairly cheap Digiwave 8x1`s are very reliable and very little loss I can tell....Have tried EMP Centauri 8x1`s and countless others along with many 4x1`s only to come back to the Digiwaves...My EMP 16X1 is a very nice switch with alot of options and works great with receivers that do not have a 2nd tuner for the simple fact of a dish farm.

Cham...It is hard to sit idle in this hobby and am always looking to improve the system and this new ASC1 positioner looks to be a great addition for improvement.That is next in line for me..:D..

Ok, just for fun, this is my other passion, stereoscopic photography.

What you do is click the image to bring it full screen then you stare at it cross-eyed. It works best if you sit back about three feet from the screen, I’m using a 24” wide screen.
It takes a little practice but the two images will converge into one stereoscopic 3D image where you can see depth.
The dog messes with my head because she moved her head during the shoot so try to ignore that.

I also shoot anaglyph (red/blue).. I own several true stereoscopic cameras plus I do the “slide” method with my big DSLR.. This one I did with my Canon EOS 5D Mark II by sliding it.

And now you can see my dish farm in 3D... :D

Attachments

• backyard-3d.jpg
    backyard-3d.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 278
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)

Latest posts