Picture Glitch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

paulds48

Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
I am getting a glitch in my picture about every 10 minutes. I am using the 5 LNB HD dish and an HR-24 box. This is occuring only on satellite channels (not OTA coming through AM-21 tuner). The HR-24 box has just been swapped out and the problem still persists. What else might be causing these glitches?

First, have you checked your signal levels? That may show a misalignment. Also, check all of your connections and cabling for kinks or breaks of any kind. Another possibility is a bad lnb.

First, have you checked your signal levels? That may show a misalignment. Also, check all of your connections and cabling for kinks or breaks of any kind. Another possibility is a bad lnb.

Yes, signal levels are strong. When I run a system test it shows that everything is fine. I don't see anything wrong with the connections. Cable seems to be in excellent shape (it was replaced only last year). Is it possible that one of the B Band Converter Boxes could be bad and causing such a problem??? I know if I call Directv the picture will be perfect as long as the technician is here.

All satellite channels are affected. When I am running OTA through the AM-21 Tuner picture is absolutely fine.

What exactly do you mean by a glitch? It could be a bad bbc. Since you mentioned it as a possibility, that means you have two. Can you switch them?

The picture breaks up for about 1/2 second, almost gets a double image look to it. On a bad glitch picture almost looks like it turned into a negative. Both picture and sound are affected. I have tried reversing the BBCs (I have ordered a new pair from ebay and will try totally replacing them). This problem is especially bad since it isn't constant. Yesterday it was fine, the day before it was glitching quite a bit.

The picture breaks up for about 1/2 second, almost gets a double image look to it. On a bad glitch picture almost looks like it turned into a negative. Both picture and sound are affected. I have tried reversing the BBCs (I have ordered a new pair from ebay and will try totally replacing them). This problem is especially bad since it isn't constant. Yesterday it was fine, the day before it was glitching quite a bit.

Whats the weather been like when the trouble is happening ?
I starting to lean towards a going bad LNB, but I would also replace the connections , make sure they are compression fittings.

If you need more call Directv. I think they will send them to you free.

Whats the weather been like when the trouble is happening ?
I starting to lean towards a going bad LNB, but I would also replace the connections , make sure they are compression fittings.

Weather doesn't seem to be a factor. Glitching occurs randomly even when signal strength is 95 or better. There is just no telling when the problem is going to occur. I can record the problem and show it to the repair tech but that wouldn't really tell him where the problem is coming from. Sort of like taking your car to the repair shop with electronic problems. If it isn't acting up when they put it on the meter, there's no way to tell what is wrong. I will try opening the outdoor cable connections and spray them with cleaner. I would much rather that the system totally failed so that at least a tech would know what's wrong.

I think I am with Jimbo on this one (like usual!) that you have an lnb that is going.

Replaced both BBC modules yesterday and so far. . . . no glitches. History channel seemed prone to a lot of glitching and have watched it for several hours and all is ok. Got my fingers crossed. Thanks to all who replied and tried to help. Greatly appreciated!!!

Replaced both BBC modules yesterday and so far. . . . no glitches. History channel seemed prone to a lot of glitching and have watched it for several hours and all is ok. Got my fingers crossed. Thanks to all who replied and tried to help. Greatly appreciated!!!

well, that was a good place to start seeing you need them in order to see the HD stuff :up

Keep us updated !

Jeez Jimbo, could we BOTH have been wrong? :eek: ;)

Could be .... we went for the usual suspects.
Remember, it's always a case of elimination.

It's also much harder when your not the one on site to look things over.
Replacing the BBC's was the easiest and cheapest place to start !

The BBC modules were definitely the problem. Watched the TV very closely yesterday and not a single glitch. (I used to get a glitch about every 10 minutes) I noticed that even the menus pop up much faster now. Might have been some kind of short in the BBCs. In any case, all is well now.

Great, glad you have it solved.
If you look at the old ones, they probably have quite a bend in them, seeing they are placed behind. The recvr usuallly in a cramped area, I'm surprised that they don't go bad more often, I think it was a poor design .... but if they had enough trouble I supposse they would change them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)