Picture quality again, and again, and again...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Conjuror

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 4, 2004
All right. After careful watching Voom's HD channels for about 10 days, I have no doubt in my mind that Voom's HD channels do not look as good as the same channels on E*. Voom's exclusive HD channels look even worse than HBO and DHDT, for example. I also saw on this forum that several other people noted that HD channels looked better on their ex-cable TV providers than on Voom.

A couple better informed folks on this forum said that PQ on Voom is somewhat lower because Voom converts its channels from 1080i to 750p and then your receiver converts it back to 1080i for TVs with native 1080i resolution, whatever. During this conversion processes (or something else?), PQ is definitely somewhat downgraded which really bothers me as I (and many of you) spent a lot of money for a TV set and other equipments to watch a "true" HD programs.

So, my question is, assuming that Voom will eventually improve PQ, how long we have to wait until that happens?

I think that all of us deserve an honest answer to this question, especially those who are about to get Voom for the very first time. I also think that this or another topic with similar subject should be categorized as "sticky".

i have my sammy dlp connected through dvi, and dish 6000 through component, and i can honestly say Voom has a slightly better picture. I suggest you try different connections. Voom seems to do very well through dvi

A couple better informed folks on this forum said that PQ on Voom is somewhat lower because Voom converts its channels from 1080i to 750p and then your receiver converts it back to 1080i for TVs with native 1080i resolution, whatever. During this conversion processes (or something else?), PQ is definitely somewhat downgraded which really bothers me as I (and many of you) spent a lot of money for a TV set and other equipments to watch a "true" HD programs.
This is only the case for some of the VOOM "exclusive" HD channels. All other channels are 1080i. VOOM has also indicated that the exclusive channels may be going back to 1080i at some point.

I had to say that about a month ago we all experinced some PQ problems and VOOM (Wilt) acknowledged so. Today, all of that is history. PQ is good - period.

Conjuror: you must have some kind of set-up problem. Are you sure that your box is set-up to 1080i mode? Could it be a bad cable? bad box? One thing for sure - the problem is your set-up.

Argh... It is not my box setup nor my TV. This was already discussed several times with other folks. PQ is somewhat lower on Voom, period.

Conjuror said:
Argh... It is not my box setup nor my TV. This was already discussed several times with other folks. PQ is somewhat lower on Voom, period.

I have D* and Voom and the PQ is very similar, period. :)

Conjuror said:
What makes me suspicious of your setup is the fact that nobody else is reporting any PQ issues. Last month when there were PQ problems you could see everybody reporting so.

LOL andrzej. However, I did not mention D* in my post. Their PQ may be the same as on Voom but I doubt. Cant you guys see any pixelation on Voom's HD channels? Even my wife (auch) sees the difference between Voom and E*. HD picture on E* is more detailed, sharper, and more colorfull than on Voom. And no pixelation at all.

Walter and other PQ susspicious guys, please read the following discussion first:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=13870

Conjuror said:
LOL andrzej. However, I did not mention D* in my post. Their PQ may be the same as on Voom but I doubt. Cant you guys see any pixelation on Voom's HD channels? Even my wife (auch) sees the difference between Voom and E*. HD picture on E* is more detailed, sharper, and more colorfull than on Voom. And no pixelation at all.
Maybe VOOM is not for you because you see things that NOBODY else see.

Conjuror said:

Conjuror, what is your quality #? Pixelation might be caused by poor signal quality.

Conjuror said:

By the way, you say that you have D* but then you report that E* quallity is better than VOOM. how is that possible?

Conjuror said:

No one wanted to entertain your bashing of Voom last time. What makes you think they do now? You say you spoke with folks about the PQ. Well, I know for a fact no one agreed with you. Your thread was summarily locked. That hardly happens on this site.

Please don't troll. We appreciate input, but not garbage.

I have had no pixelation problems or anything like that. I think the picture quality is pretty damn close to being flawless.

Conjuror said:
Why don't you read this discussion first:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=13870

When you finish, I'll be happy to discuss this problem with you guys.
The only thing I found in that thread is that again you're reporting PQ problems that nobody else is seeing. And yes we all know that the Cinema10 channels are temporately being broadcasted on 720p and if your box is set to 1080i it will have to upconvert it. But that is unrelated to you saying that PQ is superior in E*? After all E* doesn't carry the Cinema10 channels ;)

Again PQ quality is as good as E* when comparing HBO, Showtime, DHDT & ESPN. I have done those comparison from time to time and have seen no difference.

The argument that Cinema 10, Monsters and Epics are running at 720p now and for this reason must be at "DVD" quality will not and cannot stand. 720p is still HD! Even if ESPN is at 1080i it is still HD.

Like I said before show me a data stream analysis that VOOM is using more compression than E* and therefore VOOM's bitrate is lower than what E* is outputting and you will have a case. By the way, I have data stream analysis on my hands that have not being published and VOOM still uses 12mbps - 16mbps on their HD channels which it is compatible to what E* uses for HBO, Showtime and ESPN. Only HDnet on E* uses something like 17mbps.

PQ looks good to me so far. The Voom PQ on DHD is equivalent to D*, but the Voom audio (DD5.1) is far superior on my system vs. D*.

I would agree for audio. It seems to be better on Voom. Yes, 720p is still HD but when they convert it to 1080i, it is not and it cannot be the same as true 1080i.

Sean,
Do you know when Voom will start broadcasting its exclusive channels in 1080i? That was what I wanted to know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)