The PlayStation Vue Thread

Hard to do that with cable/ satellite.
Not really with DirecTV -- you can put your service into vacation suspend for up to 6 months using nothing but the IVR (no need to speak to a human) -- you just say "vacation hold" at the prompt and then tell it the date you want service turned back on. I believe Dish has a similar setup.

Looking for a good over the air antenna to use for my locals. I want something that i can hide flat behind my tv. I have PS Vue and this will be for my locals. Is anyone using a indoor antenna that they are impressed with?

Looking for a good over the air antenna to use for my locals. I want something that i can hide flat behind my tv. I have PS Vue and this will be for my locals. Is anyone using a indoor antenna that they are impressed with?
How far are you from the towers? Price doesn't matter I am minimum of 43 miles and a $20 one by one flat antenna works fine. I do have to have it in the window.

I found the $13 Amazon Basics antenna worked better than two other $20 antennas I purchased. Both towers are ~10 miles from my home, but due to some geographic quirk, I have trouble picking up the stations on one of them. The Amazon antenna was the only one that got them, though it's prone to interference, even with the amplifier I cannibalized from one of the other $20 antennas I tried. I would invest in a small outdoor antenna, except I keep expecting Sony to add the last channel (ABC) from the problematic tower and then raising my monthly fee by $10. (I've always gotten local CBS and NBC from Vue and apparently Fox is coming soon.)

Just got my Fox local. Many new cities were added this week. For my market, that gives us 3/4, with ABC the only missing major network, and I'm still at the $35 price for Core Slim.

I heard from a media contact who has a cord cutting column in my local newspaper that Sony is working hard to bring all 4 major networks to every market as soon as possible.

I found the $13 Amazon Basics antenna worked better than two other $20 antennas I purchased. Both towers are ~10 miles from my home, but due to some geographic quirk, I have trouble picking up the stations on one of them. The Amazon antenna was the only one that got them, though it's prone to interference, even with the amplifier I cannibalized from one of the other $20 antennas I tried. I would invest in a small outdoor antenna, except I keep expecting Sony to add the last channel (ABC) from the problematic tower and then raising my monthly fee by $10. (I've always gotten local CBS and NBC from Vue and apparently Fox is coming soon.)
Isn't the $10.00 for locals plus sub-stations(like the CW)?

CW has it's own app, and its shows are available FREE the next day. So, it's not critical that PsVue carries it.

I have decided to just watch CW shows on Netflix since the whole season is on a week after the season is done, for example iZombie season finale was on last Tuesday and will be on Netflix July 5.

True as far as Prime time CW shows. Where I live CW is the sister station of the NBC affiliate. They also air local news and Syndicated shows during the days and the weekend.

I'm in the same boat. My local CBS, which has the best local news broadcasts, just took over the local CW, expanding the times it does live local news. The CW app is a non-starter for me because of the forced commercials. Like bruce, I'll wait until any primetime CW shows I follow add new seasons to Netflix, though I'd rather just record them and not have to wait. First World problems.

Reactions: spencer7779
Have you tried Play On Desktop? You can eliminate commercials that way.

I do have PlayOn, and I tried their recording functions when I cut the cord last summer. When it worked it was great. When it didn't, I spent so much time troubleshooting, rerecording, watching parts of the show online (with commercials) that the recording cut off, and fussing with it, I would've been better off (less aggravation and time) if I had just watched the show start-to-finish with commercials in the network app. Fortunately I discovered with ABC and Fox prime time shows that I could watch them On Demand via PS Vue without commercials anyway. So it was just CW shows I was missing and now have to wait on. (I've always gotten the CBS and NBC locals via PS Vue).

I restarted my Vue subscription with the Core Slim package & HBO add-on, which I'm getting free for a month. Thanks to Roku I'm also doing a free trial of Directv Now for a month, but I'd rather stick with Vue.

I was just using the CW as an example. My local sub-channels also include MyTV, ION TV, Grit, Bounce, & MeTV.

Nope. To reiterate what Spencer7779 said, Vue doesn't carry any locals in any market beyond ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox. Aren't those subchannels you mentioned nationally syndicated and not local affiliates, per se, just rebroadcast as low-bandwidth subchannels of the locals?

I am looking at making the move to Vue come mid August. Just as a comparison, Houston gets Fox, NBC, & ABC. No CBS yet. My Core pricing is $45.

I notice none of my options are called "slim" any longer online. No pricing change though. Is that a branding thing only now or does this indicate something for my market? IIRC, slim once referred to markets w/o live locals. Maybe I'm wrong there. [see edit below]

__Edit: Okay, even more confused now. I was wrong. It use to show Core Slim for $35. NBC, Fox, and CBS were highlighted indicating they are available. Now, all those are still highlighted, CBS is not added... but my pricing went up $10. Weird it went up but didn't add anything. Guess we weren't paying for those locals before but are now. ___

I would only be watching CBS for sports, NCAA football in particular, so I can use the free CBS Sports App or site. If for some reason they don't allow it this year, I'll pay the $5.99 per month for the CBS All Access app during college football season only (4-5 months). I don't get CBS well via OTA.

I just read an article that since pulling away from Hulu, the CW wants to build up their own streaming reputations and one of the goals is for the ads on their app to be roughly 7 to 9 minutes per one hour of content. That isn't too bad. Also, as pointed out, they hit Netflix after season end (30 days I think is the agreement).

My biggest bummer with Vue is no History channel.:(

Hmmm, I wonder if you are already locked into a Slim package rate, will it stay the same? Because I have Core Slim plus HBO, my bill for August says that it'll be $49.99(plus tax, if applicable).

Reactions: primestar31

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)