Please help me choose an antenna. Maps included.

kereams

Original poster
Dec 23, 2004
I have just got Voom and am a happy subscriber. Need more HD though! ;)

I currently have the stock Sensar directional antenna. This is used with the diplexer at both ends, thus using the receiver as the powersupply for the onboard antenna amplifier. As you can see by my location the local signals come from three different direction. The only station I really care to receive is "35". This trasmitter is on top of a hill that I can spot with with my naked eye. The FCC's website says it is 20miles LOS. Regardless of how I point the Sensar antenna I can not receive anything greater than 40 signal strength. For the time being I am pointed due north. This yelds a good (90+) signal on 38/42/27. Channel 5 has a signal strength of 20 when pointed in this direction. 42 and 35 are the only local stations that broadcast HD. The rest are just plain digital.
Voom is very happy to replace my OTA antenna. But they say that either I or the installer needs to recommend a specific model. This is where I would like your input, to make sure it gets done right the first time. Please keep in mind that the Sensar pointing directly at 35 does not receive a high enough signal, and I would like to receive atleast 35/38/42, but ideally all of them.

Thank you for your time and knowledge! (Ahead of time!)

TV%20Tower%20Layout.jpg

kereams, welcome!
I am not an expert in antennas. Perhaps someone can give you a better advice.
I would let the installer make the decision. For two reasons:
1. If he does installations in your area - he may know better what works and what doesn't.
2. He wouldn't be able to blame bad installation on your poor antenna choice! ;)

Antennas Direct on the web...lots of antennas to choose from in different
range categories. And forget about using the diplexers....have the cables run independently.....this will increase signal strength to your OTA antenna.

In MOST cases, the bigger the antenna, the better.
In MOST cases, the higher the antenna, the better.
If stations are coming from different directions, you may have to use an antenna rotor or more than one antenna. Also, sometimes it is best to have a separate antenna for VHF and another for UHF. That also gives you the ability to aim differently for your V's and U's. You can also put up to combo antennas to get V's and U's from two different directions.

It looks like the digital signal of Channel 5 (15) is extemely low power (600watts). This is not uncommon as many digital locals are starting with minimal facilities to get the signal on the air, and then will be upgrading at a later time. This is where the Special Temporary Authorization (STA) comes in. I would call the stations and ask for engineering and ask them about their digital signal strength and when they might be upping the power.

I just put up a monster antenna (15 feet long!) for VHF & UHF and put it 15 feet above my roof line and on a rotor. I now get locals from TWO markets and some excellent HD pictures! I also do NOT use the diplexers that Voom provides. Those can compromise both your Sat and OTA antenna signals. I put an active splitter on the OTA antenna and feed each Voom box a clean OTA signal.

Your installer SHOULD be a good source of advice. Tell him what you would like to receive and see what he thinks is needed to do the job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)