POLL: After VOOM, who will be your provider?

I had Comcast installed yesterday. Full package including all channels, HD, and DVR. $25 off per month for 16 months by switching from a dish brought me to $89/mo. I was paying $99 for Voom so after taxes on the Comcast I might end up paying a little more or a little less.

I figured I'd sign up for this because it would be easy and I can swtich if something better comes along. I don't think I have a contract per-se. It said I have to keep the same package for the entire promotional period in order to keep the promotional pricing. It didn't say anything about back charging me the difference in price, or charging any kind of early termination fee.

I'm happy with it so far. Not enough HD, but that's true of all the options other than Voom. The remote is not quite as good as Voom's but it's not bad. I'll get used to it. On Demand is pretty cool, but the selection of free stuff sucks and I'm already paying $89/mo so I probably won't pay for anything extra. I'm loving the DVR. I've never had one and was anxiously awaiting the one from Voom. I wish they'd released it; maybe they would have drawn more customers and had less turnover.

RIP Voom. I'll miss you dearly.

Leaning towards comcast since no committment is necessary, plus they provide the necessary equipment, HD, DVR, at a small monthly leasing fee. However, I haven't set up the appointment. Hoping something new and different arrivesin the next week. Wishful thinking

I'm making the switch to Dish on May 3rd. Wish me luck, I'll miss all the Voomers...
But I'm gonna love my new 942 HD-DVR (a small consolation).

;)

Cheers

electr0n

electr0n said:
I'm making the switch to Dish on May 3rd. Wish me luck, I'll miss all the Voomers...
But I'm gonna love my new 942 HD-DVR (a small consolation).

;)

Cheers

electr0n
Same here. Another consolation for me is HDNet :)

Shawn95GT said:
I felt the same way. I later decided to go ahead and get cox HD with the DVR until a viable satellite option (or even a worthwhile Cable provider) comes about.

It isn't a repalcement for Voom by a long shot... but it'll get me by :).

Shawn
I would be tempted by that too. But our cable company has NO DVR, NO HDNET, NO INHD. Just a few crummy HD broadcast channels. OTA around here are a couple of local SD channels with reruns -- forget that. E* and D* are my only options after Voom, but I won't settle for HD-Lite.

Voom ruined me for other TV. Just have to wait and see what happens to the growth of HD....

BustAGroove said:

Be careful. They will offer you DHA free for 12 months. If you take them up on that you are then locked in for the full 12 months and will have to pay an early termination fee if you switch. Otherwise it is about $5 per month for DHA which, if you are leasing the equipment, never made much sense to me.

Amphicar770 said:
Be careful. They will offer you DHA free for 12 months. If you take them up on that you are then locked in for the full 12 months and will have to pay an early termination fee if you switch. Otherwise it is about $5 per month for DHA which, if you are leasing the equipment, never made much sense to me.

They still offer the Free For All program as well. You'll need to call them tho. It's $150 the 811 box, and 30 monthly credits of $5. Advantage is that you dont need to subscribe to the locals ($5 savings).

If you notice, the DHA prices are $5 higher, but they INCLUDE local channels, so they are still the same price if you were to purchase the reciever and subscribe to the locals.

-John

PS> I went with cable, and got a SA8000HD HD-DVR. Its ok, but the DVR box and PG sucks. I'm thinking about saving the $5 a month and get a standard HD box (It has SD + HD active at the same time, as well as DVI enabled).

1080iBeVuMin said:
I would be tempted by that too. But our cable company has NO DVR, NO HDNET, NO INHD. Just a few crummy HD broadcast channels. OTA around here are a couple of local SD channels with reruns -- forget that. E* and D* are my only options after Voom, but I won't settle for HD-Lite.

Voom ruined me for other TV. Just have to wait and see what happens to the growth of HD....
Here in Sunnyvale CA, I'm not getting InHD either since my area has not been rebuilt. The Comcast website says no DVR for my area, BUT when I called their csr I was told it is available, so you may want to give them a call. They have a promotion (in addition to the dish win back) where you will get Digital Silver for the same price as Digital Plus for 6 months, after that you will pay the Digital Silver price minus $25 per month for the rest of the 16 month "Dish Win Back" promotion. Hopefully you can get one more HD movie channel (HBOHD in my area) that way.

I'm going with Adelphia cable. They have all the locals in HD (except Fox), HBO, SHO, Starz, Max, HDNet & Movies, InHD1 & 2, ESPNHD & 2, Discovery HD and NFLnet HD. Thats a total of 15. They also offer an HD DVR for $6 or $7. Plus no commitment in case something better comes along (Verizon FIOS/IPTV?!?).

One word of warning about D*, they will be switching to MPEG4 this summer and equipment you buy now will become obsolete (at least for new channels in the short term).

adtoolco said:
I'll probably get cable. Damn, that statement sucks.

Time Warner, Cox and Comcast do not provide service in my area. I feel your pain. I made the :river plunge and signed up with Charter Cable. Basically we'll have 2 Hi Definition DVRs + 2 Digital Receivers, basic channels 2-99, HBO, Cinemax, Encore, Starz, Video On Demand + cable internet 3mbs up / 256 KB down) for $119 month + one time install for cable internet and digital cable service charge of $40. I'm going for it because the service is month to month - no contract. I'll give the service at least a 30 day try out.

Charter install date is May 1 (day after VOOM goes dark and day before my birthday -- what does it all mean???)

jgantert said:
They still offer the Free For All program as well. You'll need to call them tho. It's $150 the 811 box, and 30 monthly credits of $5. Advantage is that you dont need to subscribe to the locals ($5 savings).

Regarding the Free For All program, I was under the impression that in order to get the 811 you had to upgrade for $300 more. The $150 price was for a standard receiver. Am I wrong?

Looks like E* here (I had kept the locals cause there is no ota chanels that can make it over the mountains) but no HD yet. Charter don't even go digital here so thats out of the question. Shore do miss V*!

mrhph said:
Here in Sunnyvale CA, I'm not getting InHD either since my area has not been rebuilt. The Comcast website says no DVR for my area, BUT when I called their csr I was told it is available, so you may want to give them a call. They have a promotion (in addition to the dish win back) where you will get Digital Silver for the same price as Digital Plus for 6 months, after that you will pay the Digital Silver price minus $25 per month for the rest of the 16 month "Dish Win Back" promotion. Hopefully you can get one more HD movie channel (HBOHD in my area) that way.
Thanks for your post, mrhph. I will keep all that in mind if I really get desperate for TV. I just can't believe how bad the Comcast channel offerings are for our area, especially for the price compared to VaVaVoom. Big rip off! Probably why I came to Voom from analog basic cable. But there is no going back to analog basic cable now!

We will save the $95/mo, rent more SD DVDs, catch more movies out, and lay low until HD is more available, or until the Voom21 comes to E* or D*.

Non-Voom TV isn't worth the money.

jsuede said:
Regarding the Free For All program, I was under the impression that in order to get the 811 you had to upgrade for $300 more. The $150 price was for a standard receiver. Am I wrong?

Possibly. I was quoted $150 for the 811. But the CSR may have been high or something. :) Just like the D* CSR that said free HD-DVR in the other thread. heh

-John

LOL. Well, I was calling around and a D* CSR told me they offered all of the major network locals in HD through their satellite. When I questioned it several times, she hung up on me. I'm going to miss Voom. :(

boatman said:
I'm going with Time Warner as I have 3 HDTV's and can lease 3 HD-DVR's and not have to buy equipment. I also get a $20 off my bill for a year with no contract. If VOOM comes back in another form I not tied to cable.

How did you get that $20 off?

D*, E* & TW ?

They all cost to much. But that is the lack of competition. Maybe my phone company will be in the field soon.

Still went with TW cable. At least there is no startup cost for HD and SD equiptment and no contract. That allows me to jump ship at anytime for whoever gets a good deal with VOOM 21......(gasp)...if ever. :confused: :(

-Scott

HDwonderer said:
They all cost to much. But that is the lack of competition. Maybe my phone company will be in the field soon.

Still went with TW cable. At least there is no startup cost for HD and SD equiptment and no contract. That allows me to jump ship at anytime for whoever gets a good deal with VOOM 21......(gasp)...if ever. :confused: :(

-Scott

Yeah, I'm thinking about the same (TWCNYC) or Canadian satellite stuff.
The only good in TWCNYC is they do have active firewire on their HD boxes, including the HD-DVR ones and no upfront cost for boxes but they are REALLY, I mean R_E_A_L_L_Y xpensive - a package like I had with Voom will cost me ~$130 or more per month... :eek::shocked:shocked

No one is offering me any kind of deal. Not Dish, not Direct TV and not Comcast. The only thing that was offered to me was a deal from Dish that required a 2yr commitment. No way! I live in the Dallas area and nothing special is offered in Garland which is where I live. Unless I can get a deal like Voom where I was paying around $50.00 for the regular package and will just go with Dish Network's Top 60plus so I can watch Fox Sports Network and the Rangers. I do have to pay a reactivation fee though. Dish is pretty much spitting on former customers(like me) in my opinion.

OTA and dvd's for me. I will wait for more HD before I pay for TV with the amount (or lack of) HD broadcast being provided by both Sat and Cable providers. They have yet to earn my money and I refuse to give it to them until they do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts