Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
Well, let's vote the best HD channel of them all!

I picked HD channels that seem to be most popular based on previous polls and recent thread discussions. If your most favorite VOOM channel is not listed, please vote "Other" and post the name of the channel. If enough people request a channel, we will include it in future polls. To save space I have combined 10 HDCinema channels into one item. Only channels presently available on VOOM are listed. Since OTA channels are not technically on VOOM, they are not included.

So, which channels are your most favorite? You may pick more than one, if they are all favorite! ;)

(Edit: Forgot HBO: adding it now!)

While I clicked on a few, the drop dead best HD channel is Discovery HD Theater by far. If you want to show off your HDTV, that's the channel to do it with. Can't get enough of it.

trm17118 said:
While I clicked on a few, the drop dead best HD channel is Discovery HD Theater by far. If you want to show off your HDTV, that's the channel to do it with. Can't get enough of it.
And so far it is leading in our poll. 25 out of 48 voters consider Discovery HD Theater a favorite channel!

Just for laughs, you ought to add as a single category - OTA (basic network HD over the air). I'll bet that many of us are loving all the satellite channels, but just getting normal stuff in HD (West Wing, ER, etc.) is probably pretty popular by comparison. May not be the most beautiful HD of the list, but I'll bet it would be among the most frequently viewed...

kjaslow said:
Just for laughs, you ought to add as a single category - OTA (basic network HD over the air). I'll bet that many of us are loving all the satellite channels, but just getting normal stuff in HD (West Wing, ER, etc.) is probably pretty popular by comparison. May not be the most beautiful HD of the list, but I'll bet it would be among the most frequently viewed...
It's kind of late to add it to this poll: too many people voted already. Perhaps we'll do it next time. Good point, though.

Update: DiscoveryHD is still leading, but Rave, Equator, HBO and Universal are not too far behind.

So far, according to this poll, DiscoveryHD, Rave-HD and Equator-HD are the three most popular HD channels on VOOM. Here are the latest standings:

Code:
1.  DiscoveryHD  53
2.  Rave-HD      43
3.  Equator-HD   40
4.  UniversalHD  34
5.  HBO-HD       32
6.  ESPN-HD      31
7.  WorldSportHD 29
8.  Monsters-HD  25
9.  Starz-HD     24
10. ShowTime-HD  23
11. TNT-HD       22
12. CinemaxHD    17
12. HDNews       17
14. HDCinema(10) 15
14. Rush-HD      15
16. Playboy-HD   10

What a jump in popularity since Universal took over Bravo. Excellent. I would rate the top channels in order:

For showing off my HDTV....

1. Equator
2. Rush
3. Discovery

for movies.....

1. UHD
2. HBO
3. StarZ

for OTA:

1. CBS
2. NBC
3. PBS

for Cinema 10

1. World Cinema
2. HaHa
3. Gunslinger

I don't usually watch discovery on VOOM...so didn't really think of that one.
Two days after we got VOOM, we were watching probably the 10th show on Rave, and my wife said "You know...this one channel almost makes the bill worth it."

:)

Lob

My Choices +

GalleryHD
UltraHD
FamilyRoomHD
FilmFestHD
WorldCinemaHD
WorldSportHD
LabHD
EncoreHD
SideShowHD (fillers)

We had this poll open on our VOOM Forum Home Page for more than 2 months.
300 forum members registered a total of 948 votes (multiple votes were allowed).
Time to close this poll and announce the winners! And the winners are...

According to our poll, DiscoveryHD is the undisputed leader! 39% of our members consider it one of the most favorite HD channels. Rave-HD and Equator-HD, just one point apart, are at the second and third places, far ahead of HBO, followed by UniversalHD and ESPN-YD. Stars-HD has surpassed Monsters-HD by just one vote. WorldSportHD is at the 9th place followed by Chowtime and TNT, which now share the 10the place.

Here are the final standings of this poll:

Code:
1.  DiscoveryHD  117
2.  Rave-HD      95
3.  Equator-HD   94
4.  HBO-HD       73
5.  UniversalHD  62
6.  ESPN-HD      59
7.  Starz-HD     55
8.  Monsters-HD  54
9.  WorldSportHD 48
10. ShowTime-HD  45
10. TNT-HD       45
12. Rush-HD      41
13. CinemaxHD    38
14. Playboy-HD   34
15. HDCinema(10) 33
16. HDNews       29

bradley said:
My Choices...
Bradley, thanks for mentioning GalleryHD! One of my favorites! I can't believe more people aren't noticing this channel. The content is enormous.

My favorites, not in any particular order:

GalleryHD
EquatorHD
DiscoveryHD
WorldCinemaHD
FilmFestHD
StarzHD
IFC
History Channel
LabHD
Classical Masterpiece (Music Choice)
Mainstream Jazz (Music Choice)

I just did a guick summation of the percentages for all the channels and they add up around 300%. I think the pool calculations need some tweaking, the summed results should equal 100%, not 300% (probably does not handle the situation were you could vote for multiple channels, it should have split his/her vote percentage wise when someone did that. If i voted for 5 channels, each one should have gotton .20% of my vote.)

richard_rd said:
I just did a guick summation of the percentages for all the channels and they add up around 300%...
richard, the meaning of the last column in this poll is this: How many people (percentage-wise) consider a certain channel among their favorites.
For example, if out of 300 voters, 117 consider Discovery-HD their favorite, that equals 117/300=0.39 or 39%. The total of the last column cannot possibly equal 100% because you can vote as many channels as you want. For example, if everyone have selected every single channel on the list, each value in the last column would be 100% (meaning a 100% satisfaction with every single channel). I hope, I am explaining this well enough...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts