Practice???

It is one thing to miss practie....it's another to bring a gun to club and shooting himself and holding out because you are not being paid enough and then not practicing claiming injury.:rolleyes:

You know, you don't really know the whole story about all of these Burress incidents...by your logic you shouldn't be commenting on them at all...;)

Were you in the nightclub? Were you at his house when he couldn't make it to practice? Do you know for sure he was just 'claiming' injury? Were you at his house when his wife needed the restraining orders? Did you see all of these things actually happen? If so, do you know exactly why they happened?

Giant fans on other forums are spinning this as no big deal too...I'm afraid it's what sports fans do when things happen to their players.

Sandra

Hey - I'm a die-hard Giants fan, but........

As we already witnessed last year with Mr. Shockey's absence and all of his other extra-curriculars - we have, can, and will do fine with Mr. Burress' absence or departure while the facts and issues are properly sorted out. I will make no judgment at all until I get more info.

The team is actually stronger when all are working together and on the same page, this crap is not needed.

As we already witnessed last year with Mr. Shockey's absence and all of his other extra-curriculars - we have, can, and will do fine with Mr. Burress' absence or departure while the facts and issues are properly sorted out. I will make no judgment at all until I get more info.

The team is actually stronger when all are working together and on the same page, this crap is not needed.

I always liked Burress, with being an ex-Steeler and everything. I just can't believe he would do anything that stupid.

You know, you don't really know the whole story about all of these Burress incidents...by your logic you shouldn't be commenting on them at all...;)

Were you in the nightclub? Were you at his house when he couldn't make it to practice? Do you know for sure he was just 'claiming' injury? Were you at his house when his wife needed the restraining orders? Did you see all of these things actually happen? If so, do you know exactly why they happened?

Giant fans on other forums are spinning this as no big deal too...I'm afraid it's what sports fans do when things happen to their players.

Sandra

You comparing beating his wife and shooting off a gun to missing practices??:confused:

Iverson and Burress are NOT "good comparison". Way beyond apples and oranges.

Not just Shockey last year, either. I think the absence of Tiki Barber actually made the team better as well. It allowed Eli to take more control on the field, and probably in the locker room.

The Giants are the rare team that seems to be able to withstand not having major pieces of their puzzle on the field for either short or long periods of time, and be able to keep on winning. There always seems to be another piece ready to fit right in.

It does remain to be seen, however, if not having Burress in the playoffs woudl hurt them. There are a lot of defensive ends Spags seems to be able to call on...the wide receiver unit takes a bigger hit without Plax.

Sandra

You comparing beating his wife and shooting off a gun to missing practices??:confused:

Iverson and Burress are NOT "good comparison". Way beyond apples and oranges.

Did you see Burress shoot the gun? Do you know for a fact it was shot? ;)

(see how that sounds?)

The comparison is that 'issues' seem to follow both of them. You can argue the veracity of the issues, but before you paint Iverson as a flukey gamer kind of guy who happens to miss the occasional practice, don't forget he spent some time behind bars when he was 17 because of some kind of racial incident or something. I forget the details, I hope I'm not getting that wrong.

Yes, Iverson was 17...but most 17 year olds seem to be able to avoid jail time. Iverson paid his debt and everything, but it does remain on his record.

And he's had 'practice' issues with a few coaches now. Amazing how the rest of the Pistons could show up, but Iverson couldn't. I suppose, as Iverson said, he's willing to do anyting to help the Pistons win...except, of course, come to practice.

Sandra

Did you see Burress shoot the gun? Do you know for a fact it was shot? ;)

(see how that sounds?)

The comparison is that 'issues' seem to follow both of them. You can argue the veracity of the issues, but before you paint Iverson as a flukey gamer kind of guy who happens to miss the occasional practice, don't forget he spent some time behind bars when he was 17 because of some kind of racial incident or something. I forget the details, I hope I'm not getting that wrong.

Yes, Iverson was 17...but most 17 year olds seem to be able to avoid jail time. Iverson paid his debt and everything, but it does remain on his record.

And he's had 'practice' issues with a few coaches now. Amazing how the rest of the Pistons could show up, but Iverson couldn't. I suppose, as Iverson said, he's willing to do anyting to help the Pistons win...except, of course, come to practice.

Sandra

I did not SEE him shoot himself...but since he ADMITTED TO SHOOTING HIMSELF, that is...as the ole Eddie Murphy line says, "is a hint for your a$$"....:rolleyes:;)

Putting Iverson and Burress in the same category is crazy. And to bring up something when he was 17 is ridiculous...I suppose when you do anything wrong, you don't bring up something when you were 15, 16 or 17 do you?

Talk about obsession... :rolleyes:

I never once mentioned Bonds or Marbury, so I'm not sure where you're pulling that from. Iverson is his own special case, unlike any other.

The fan-boy apologists here who make this seem like some kind of isolated incident they are "sure will never happen again" are very funny. This is not an isolated incident, it's happened before, some people here mentioned it when the trade happened, and it was guaranteed this would never happen with the Pistons. Well, it happened. Now we're being guaranteed it won't happen again. It's just too funny. Do you guys run banks? ;)

History almost always repeats itself.

Some people just want to believe what they want to believe...then they start quoting FACTS like the Pistons will make the playoffs and the Nuggets won't. Some fact.

And they really hate on people who don't go along with their fan-boy spin on things. Iverson is the one missing practice, and some are talking about me...:confused:

Sandra
My only bias towards Iverson is that he is no Chauncey Billups. I stated from Day 1 that the Pistons would be far less team orientated, they would win fewer games, and the team chemistry would suffer. As far as I am concerned, you were correct to point out Iverson's deficiencies, his related history, and important facts such as the Piston's less-than-stellar 6-6 record since they swapped-out Billups in favor of Iverson. The last time the Detroit Pistons went on a 6-6 run was in 2000-2001 (pre Billups) when they finished 18 games below 500.

Again, this was a huge mistake if the Pistons were hoping to take their game to the next level. The Pistons needed tweeking, but instead were downgraded by management. I can only assume this is the first step toward major house cleaning and rebuilding in the offseason. The Pistons simply cannot win anything with Iverson at the helm.

To be honest, I would love to have Iverson on my team...if we were playing 2-on-2 at the local YMCA. In retrospect, the Pistons could have won a championship with Billups running the show and Iverson playing a "Vinnie Johnson" (aka Microwave) like 6th man role off the bench. Of course, Iverson would still be required to hit the big shots, play intense defense, show up for practice, and earn the love and respect of team-mates and fans...which are all hard to do when baby precious is catching up on his beauty sleep.

Sorry AI supporters, but I wouldn't trade a whole team of Iversons for just one Chauncey Billups or Vinnie Johnson. It's a champs versus chumps kind of a thing, and some people will never understand.

Personally, I think this whole Iverson missing practice discussion is being blown way out of proportion.
I agree that this story seems to have been over-hyped, but with his prior history I feel it was still worth discussing, unless any one of the following were true:

• The practice was an ordinary, run-of-the-mill practice.
It wasn't.
Coach Curry indicated that the practice was called specifically because of Iverson's newness with the Pistons. But every other member of the team showed, including Joe Dumars, the president of basketball operations.

• He notified the team beforehand that he wouldn't be able to attend.
Seems to me it's just common courtesy to let your employer know you can't make it into work.
"It was a personal matter, but I just handled it the wrong way. I didn't call and let them know what was going on."

• The Pistons had been winning more games since AI joined them.
Losing seems to magnify attention to issues like these. You don't hear a lot of disciplinary-type stories like this from winning teams. Not that they don't happen, they just seem to stay in-house more...

Iverson silent on reason for practice snub | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

I did not SEE him shoot himself...but since he ADMITTED TO SHOOTING HIMSELF, that is...as the ole Eddie Murphy line says, "is a hint for your a$$"....:rolleyes:;)

Putting Iverson and Burress in the same category is crazy. And to bring up something when he was 17 is ridiculous...I suppose when you do anything wrong, you don't bring up something when you were 15, 16 or 17 do you?

I haven't been following the Burress case minute by minute. When did he admit shooting himself? All I heard at lunchtime was his lawyer said he planned on pleading not guilty to the felony weapons charges.

I managed to not be convicted of "Maiming by Mob" when I was 17, so no, nobody brings it up to me.

Sandra

Sandra, this is off-topic, but I had a little fun with my picks for next week in the NFL.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/sports-section/156548-nfl-week-14-picks.html

Check out what I said about the Rams-Arizona game- I know St. Louis has a snowball's chance in hell, but I think you'll get a giggle out of it.

HA! :D

That's funny. Not sure if I'd merit the cover, though. If they ever do a 'Obsessed Girls of the Atlantic Division" pictorial, however, count me in. :eek:

Sandra

Simple forum etiquette.

One, it's off-topic, and two, it's directed towards a single member who may or may not be online right now.

Maybe even though it was directed toward me, he wanted everyone to see it. It has become kind of a running joke on this site.

A PM would have worked for me too, though.

Sandra

I'm not seeing anything that says Burress admitted to shooting himself. In fact, I'm not seeing where Burress said pretty much anything at all. Pierce was on the radio but all he said was fans should support him and Burress, blah blah blah.

Can you please provide a link where Burress admits to shooting himself?

Thanks.

Sandra

I'm not seeing anything that says Burress admitted to shooting himself. In fact, I'm not seeing where Burress said pretty much anything at all. Pierce was on the radio but all he said was fans should support him and Burress, blah blah blah.

Can you please provide a link where Burress admits to shooting himself?

Thanks.

Sandra

I haven't been able to find a link admitting he shot himself either, but apparently there are several eye witnesses. Also, Burress has not denied anything either. He's simply keeping his mouth shut for legal reasons.

2 major reasons for this:

1) Burress just signed a $35 million contract with the Giants. If he admits to something, it could jeopardize his contract. His agent, Drew Rosenhaus has advised him to stay mum on the subject.

2) NYC mayor, Michael Bloomberg has waged a long fight against illegal guns during his time in office. This two count felony can carry significant jail time. A grand jury will hear evidence and make a decision on whether Burress will be indicted. Illegal possession of a firearm carries a mandatory sentence of 3½ to 15 years in jail.

Here ya go kiddies:

Source: Burress tells Giants he shot himself in leg by accident

ESPN.com news services

Updated: November 30, 2008, 9:18 PM ET

New York Giants receiver Plaxico Burress has told the team that he accidentally shot himself Friday night, a league official told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio.

Burress was treated and released from New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center. He was there overnight and was released at 2 p.m. Saturday, the Giants said. A team official told The Associated Press that Burress shot himself in a nightclub.

New York City police say they are investigating whether the incident took place at Latin Quarter, a sprawling 15,000-square-foot restaurant and club in midtown Manhattan.

A league official told Paolantonio that the bullet went through the skin and muscle tissue of Burress' right thigh and did not hit any major arteries, and that there were no broken bones.

The Giants said in a statement Saturday afternoon that Burress suffered a wound to his right thigh. The team did not specify in its statement how the shooting occured.

"We are aware of the fact that Plaxico was involved in an apparent accidental shooting last night. We have been in contact with Plaxico since shortly after the incident," the team said in a statement. "Obviously, our primary concern is for Plaxico's health and well-being, and given the circumstances, we are relieved to say he was released from a New York City hospital at approximately 2 p.m. today.

"We have been in touch with NFL Security on this matter. At this point, we are attempting to gather all the facts surrounding this incident. This incident could become a matter for law enforcement officials, and because of that, we have no comment on any of the details."

Police told ESPN's Jeremy Schaap that Burress was with Giants teammate Antonio Pierce when the shooting occurred. Pierce, who is now with the team in Washington, D.C., for Sunday's game against the Washington Redskins, is cooperating and has spoken to police by phone. Director of NFL security Milt Ahlerich also is in Washington to investigate.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3733021"]New York Giants' Plaxico Burress suffers accidental gunshot wound - ESPN[/ame]

ESPN Power Rankings...

Denver and Detroit are heading in opposite directions in the rankings. It sounds to me like the Pistons need more practice.;)

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/powerranking"]Moved Permanently[/ame]

Direct from the fingers of Marc Stein:

"We had some Samson crack ready about Melo's recent haircut causing his slow start, but that's on hold until it's confirmed his elbow injury (revealed Sunday in Denver's first real scare of the 11-3 Billups era) isn't serious."

"Keeping score? Detroit is now 6-6 with Iverson in the lineup, Iverson has skipped one practice and scored in single digits three times ... and the team has suffered three home losses by 10-plus points in those 12 games."

Of course, Mr. Stein failed to mention Detroit was 4-0 with Billups, while Denver was 1-3 with Iverson.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts